Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it fair to say that both Joshua and Wilder are rare talents.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    First off: please look at the post before this I had to edit it, sorry about that.

Your assuming that just by virtue of a one dimensional quality an aptitude is present and that is clearly not the case. As far as Wilder he is strong and tall, and his ability to use those qualities to box makes him an exceptional athlete, for which he has an aptitude. Boxing is more than just an athletic endevour and having an aptitude as a fighter, learning the skills and making them your own is a process and Wilder just is not on the same skill level as other fighters at the top.

Can his athletic ability carry him? We shall see. Joshua's skill set is not debatable, whether one believe Wilder could athletically overcome him, or not...take a notepad and a pencil and watch 5 fights from Wilder and Joshua and write down the different things both men can do in the ring, whats the debate?

When Ray Robinson was fighting most men could do a lot of things in the ring, but he could do one thiing that really made people speak of his talent, he could knock you out moving backwards. Its very simple: That is hard to do and very few can do it, no debate required.
    Aren't you glad you popped in .? Well maybe not now ,i really expected this to be shut down....

Posters are just getting worse .....my bad !

Comment

First off: please look at the post before this I had to edit it, sorry about that.

Your assuming that just by virtue of a one dimensional quality an aptitude is present and that is clearly not the case. As far as Wilder he is strong and tall, and his ability to use those qualities to box makes him an exceptional athlete, for which he has an aptitude. Boxing is more than just an athletic endevour and having an aptitude as a fighter, learning the skills and making them your own is a process and Wilder just is not on the same skill level as other fighters at the top.

Can his athletic ability carry him? We shall see. Joshua's skill set is not debatable, whether one believe Wilder could athletically overcome him, or not...take a notepad and a pencil and watch 5 fights from Wilder and Joshua and write down the different things both men can do in the ring, whats the debate?

When Ray Robinson was fighting most men could do a lot of things in the ring, but he could do one thiing that really made people speak of his talent, he could knock you out moving backwards. Its very simple: That is hard to do and very few can do it, no debate required.
      Again with the height? When did I mention height?

Wilder has exceptional stamina, exceptional power and great reflexes. His natural aptitudes/talents are many and are truly exceptional. One can argue that he is one of the most athletically gifted heavyweights to ever lace the gloves.

Now, what about Anthony's skill set would you say is exceptional, or "rare" in this case?

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
        Again with the height? When did I mention height?

Wilder has exceptional stamina, exceptional power and great reflexes. His natural aptitudes/talents are many and are truly exceptional. One can argue that he is one of the most athletically gifted heavyweights to ever lace the gloves.

Now, what about Anthony's skill set would you say is exceptional, or "rare" in this case?
        Poise and footwork, the ability to fight inside, counter punch set up his shots, the ability to make adjustments in the ring.... these are the main talents which show a genesis from when he was an amateur. Joshua developed all these skill sets while moving up the ladder.

No disrespect to Wilder, I would also focus on my strengths at this point if I were him... But what I have seen from him is at attempt to work the jab more and to set up his shots with the jab. Yet, to win in the clutch he went ham on Ortiz...thats what he reverted to. He does not fight inside, really has no defensive movement, does not cut the ring off... If Ortiz did not gas it would have been very tough for Wilder to win that fight, even with the judges in his pocket (another issue for another time).

Comment

They're both bums who would get destroyed by anyone decent.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
            Joshua is a genetic freak and has a work rate I haven't seen before. Wilder is a physical specimen with GOAT athletic ability at the HW division and maybe the hardest puncher of all time.
            Good post but in my honest opinion, we have seen big stiffs like Joshua in the ring before. We have not seen the likes of Wilders size, build and unorthodox style at hvw. I just think that Joshua is a media creation and a fraud.

Comment

Poise and footwork, the ability to fight inside, counter punch set up his shots, the ability to make adjustments in the ring.... these are the main talents which show a genesis from when he was an amateur. Joshua developed all these skill sets while moving up the ladder.

No disrespect to Wilder, I would also focus on my strengths at this point if I were him... But what I have seen from him is at attempt to work the jab more and to set up his shots with the jab. Yet, to win in the clutch he went ham on Ortiz...thats what he reverted to. He does not fight inside, really has no defensive movement, does not cut the ring off... If Ortiz did not gas it would have been very tough for Wilder to win that fight, even with the judges in his pocket (another issue for another time).
              Joshua isn't exceptional in any of these areas. He's a very predictable counter puncher and his footwork is very ordinary as well. The only thing exceptional about Joshua is his bodybuilding physique, which is enough to sway the opinion of the easily impressionable.

Concerning Wilder, everything you said doesn't negate his natural talents. You are also completely wrong about his defensive movement. He's very elusive and has much better upper body movement than Joshua.

Sorry to insult you, but I have a feeling that you either are a biased fanatic, or that you don't really know what you're looking at. Or maybe you just don't like Deontay Wilder for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
                Joshua isn't exceptional in any of these areas. He's a very predictable counter puncher and his footwork is very ordinary as well. The only thing exceptional about Joshua is his bodybuilding physique, which is enough to sway the opinion of the easily impressionable.

Concerning Wilder, everything you said doesn't negate his natural talents. You are also completely wrong about his defensive movement. He's very elusive and has much better upper body movement than Joshua.

Sorry to insult you, but I have a feeling that you either are a biased fanatic, or that you don't really know what you're looking at. Or maybe you just don't like Deontay Wilder for some reason.
                You are sounding like a fan boy

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                  You are sounding like a fan boy
                  You bumped this, really...!!!??? Joshua isn't a talent. He is Frank Bruno reincarnated. That's not a bad thing, but Joshua is even stiffer than Bruno. That's a bad thing.

Comment

Neither one of the two is special Wilder is an unusual heavyweight because of his speed and his power but both would've been taken to school in different era

Comment

Lol, no they aren't. The only thing special between them is that Wilder has Foreman-esque freak power. His balance is so bad though that it almost negates it.
                      AJ looked to have tons of potential but people are realizing he's good, not great.

Both would have been forgotten about in the prime Klitschko era. They're all we got right now though so people hype them up.

Comment

Working...
                      X