Collapse
No announcement yet.

1995 James Toney vs Current Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kovalev would probably be the first one to KO him, Toney isn't anything special I mean look at the beating Samuel Peter was giving him lol

Knocked down with a jab

Comment

Toney has been to heavyweight and not been knocked out, even by punchers like Peter and Rahman, yet people are saying Kovalev KOs him? Clearly a close fight, but if anyone would be more likely to get knocked out, it would be Kovalev.

Comment

I'm worried about your thinking capacity..

Kovalev KO's anyone from history in LHW
        Not trying to troll you but Kovalev didn't even KO a 50 year old Hopkins. That doesn't make him less of a fighter but he's certainly not invincible or infallible.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
          Kovalev would probably be the first one to KO him, Toney isn't anything special I mean look at the beating Samuel Peter was giving him lol

Knocked down with a jab
          Toney about ten years removed from him prime, fighting c.90lbs above his original division, against a heavyweight who has a 70% KO percentage goes 24 combined rounds with him. How is there any shame in that?

Comment

It really is not hard to evaluate. James Toney, while brilliant in many facets of the sweet science, always had very mediocre workrate. Kovalev does possess a discipline to outwork him for a clear decision around 8-4 or 9-3. If Toney is not training properly (which was often a case) he loses a shutout.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Joshua View Post
              Who wins in this Mythical Matchup at 175lbs?
              Toney would be a 12 round punching bag

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Joshua View Post
                Who wins in this Mythical Matchup at 175lbs?
                Krusher by K.O.

Comment

I don't usually take the bait on fantasy match ups- but I think you're confusing Toney as a heavyweight vs. Toney at 175.

Toney had enough venom on his punches at heavyweight to get some respect for the big guys, but at 175 Toney had the kind of snapping power to KO anybody.

It's a great fight, in truth it'd be a pick em' 50/50 type thing. But Toney from a technical standpoint is an all time great who was just too undisciplined to keep his weight under control.

Even as a completely out of shape lard-ass, Toney outboxed top 10 heavyweight fighters in the 2000's.

Comment

Toney would have embarrassed Kovalev but like other posters said it just depended which one showed up .

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
                      Well aren't you an absolute idiot....Toney knocks him out sometime after the 6th
                      what KOvalev fights are you watching man? Toney was awesome but KKK is a god damn destroyer . Like G-man with smarts and boxing skills.

Toney would have to fight the fight of his life to get this one.

Comment

Working...
                      X