Pernell Whitaker was probably overrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evil_Meat View Post
    Garcia, Brook, and Porter over Sweet Pea? LOL
    But but these men tower over the sweet pea! One look at them and Pea would feel a warm trickle down his leg, a knot in his tummy, and he would freeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
      Is Porter a better pressure fighter than Chavez?
      I can't give you green k on this because of the system here, but I can say, the proper response should be, "I guess I was trying to make a point and got carried away." Porter could not hit Whitaker if he had William's reach and doc Oc's tentacles. the fight would look like Mayweather Gatti.

Comment

Pernell Whitaker is one of my all time favorite fighters so I'm probably biased here. There's no doubt in my mind he beat Chavez and got robbed. He should've got the decision against Oscar but I understand the politics of boxing. He was over the hill when he lost to Trinidad. Even if I agreed with everything the OP said, (minus the last paragraph) there is no way you can call him overrated.

Comment

so hes overrated but top 10 of all time?

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
            U lost all credibitility when u said Chavez fight was a draw......one of the most infamous robberies of all time
            Yeah that's when I said to mysel "dude is either trolling or ******ed"

Comment

Pernell was a fan friendly, old school throwback fighter who gave the boxing fans the fights that they wanted to see whenever they demanded to see it.

Moreover, he would fight anyone, anytime at anyplace. However, the very same cannot be said about May. He only fought opponents on his terms.

Therefore, there is no comparison between those two.

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
                These are your opinions, I don't remember what I scored ODLH/Sweet Pea, but I had it close. Sweet Pea clearly beat JCC and I loved Chavez. Pretty sure most people will agree with me on this one, there's no way that fight should have been a draw.
                Sweet Pea got robbed for sure..

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                  Let's get one thing clear, Pernell is one of the top ten most skilled boxers of all time. The guy was great at fighting in the pocket, his hand was beautiful, his foot work was as smooth as a preacher's sheets, and his defense was second to none I'm. But, looking back at his resume, you will see that he has no real great names on his resume. He got outboxed by Oscar, he couldn't finish Chavez, and he list to Tito. Now, some may argue that he was out of his prime against Oscar and Tito but that is an Excuse. Pernell couldn't adjust to the speed, power, and skill of Oscar and he couldn't handle the constant pressure Tito was bringing to him. Yes, people say that he schooled Chavez but after rewatching the fight, it isn't as clear as many people make it out to be. There are those who say that Pernell is superior to Floyd but I just don't agree. I don't see a 30 to 34 year old Floyd losing to the Chavez, Tito, or Oscar that Pernell fought. Well, Oscar would probably be 50/50 or 60/40 favoring Oscar due to styles but he would've embarrassed Tito and Chavez with ease. For all the flack guys like Roy Jones and Floyd Mayweather get for not fighting top competition, one thing is for sure, they both have a better resume than Pernell. I could drop Floyd in any era and he would be a top 5 fighter in any Era. Hell, I think he would be undisputed at 140 and 147 if he was in his prime today, but nothing Pernell did in his career can convince me that he would beat the likes of Thurman, Porter, Mikey, Crawford, Danny, and Brook. Discuss?
                  You lost me at that he didn't do enough to beat Chavez, that fight was a robbery.

Everybody avoided him until he got old. He lost fights at a higher weight when he got older and with cocaine problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                    Due to size disparities and lack of noticeable wins on resume. Pernell was not a big welter and as we all know size matters. There's a reason why skilled fighters like Duran and Wildred got KO in their careers.
                    Whitaker fought Julio Cesar Vazquez at 154 and won that fight. His defense and offense in the pocket has not been duplicated. That dude was so much bigger than Sweet Pea

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
                      U lost all credibitility when u said Chavez fight was a draw......one of the most infamous robberies of all time
                      I know right, what a moron.

Comment

Working...
                      X