Roy Jones vs Darius Michalczewski

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    It's not manny-Floyd
    But hbo did do a poll during the middleweight tourney in 2001 asking which PPv fight they wanted to see most and Roy-daruisz won by a landslide.. I think they showed the results during Hopkins-Tito,,
    There was a lot of demand for that fight, in spite of daruisz never being showcased on American tv...
    It was by far Roy's biggest fight and payday from 98-02, and maybe not a record breaking blockbuster but def would have been a pretty big fight opinion it's own right..
    Wow, I had no memory of that. I wonder what the other fights on that poll were?

Comment

Its hard going to another country and knowing you have to win by KO to win. I am not gonna say Roy would have won this fight with ease. I think they may have thought that way too. Or they would have took the chance. DM was a solid opponent. One not easy to just KO or just 12 rd dominate. DM probably felt the same way RJJ felt. If not he would have made the trip to the US. But he knew it wasn't gonna be a easy win and he would have to KO RJJ to win the states.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
        Wow, I had no memory of that. I wonder what the other fights on that poll were?
        Not sure, they were all possible Roy opponents, and not any PPv fight like Tyson or oscar, etc.. I kinda worded it wrong in my prior post

If memory serves correct it was something like
        Dariusz
        Jirov
        Hopkins
        Tito

I wanna say it was during the mw tourney, I know it was the same time period circa 2000-01..
        Then there was a story that came out that after the poll Roy asked hbo not to mention daruisz anymore.. Not sure if true, but that was always the rumor..

Comment

Irondan and I discussed this fight in the past, and he always made a point that stuck with me.. It's daruisz speed or lack thereof would be his downfall.. He just didn't have the speed to trap and catch jones.. I think that is pretty much dead on...

I can see daruisz beating the Roy that tarver fought or at least put up a good fight like tarver did, but Roy 98-02 would be too quick and explosive for the slower daruisz

Comment

Prime Joy would dominate ... way too fast for the tiger.

it's a pity the Jones of back then didn't have the desire for the big fights of the current shot jones ... I'd have loved to see him A) go to Ireland and fight Collins at Super middle and B) Go to Germany and fight Darius at light heavy.
            Last edited by Daddy T; 09-27-2014, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Roy would have ruined him no question! Different realm of speed altogether and while clearly a world class tough guy with ability Michalczewski wasn't a great fighter in my opinion. Most only remember him because of the fight that never was vs Jones....

Comment

Benn was mentioned here too. So why did that fight not happen? I guess same reason, he didn't want to go to England and risk bad judging? And there's usually a way around that with one judge from each fighter's home country and then one from a completely different country.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                  Benn was mentioned here too. So why did that fight not happen? I guess same reason, he didn't want to go to England and risk bad judging? And there's usually a way around that with one judge from each fighter's home country and then one from a completely different country.
                  Benn wasn't afraid to leave his comfort zone though.

He fought in America 4 or 5 times and fought Galvano in Italy.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
                    Benn wasn't afraid to leave his comfort zone though.

He fought in America 4 or 5 times and fought Galvano in Italy.
                    Benn would have fought Roy, Eubank I doubt...

Ive told this story before but for anyone who hasn't heard it, Several years back at my local nightclub Benn was doing a DJ set and I got talking to him, I said I wished he had got the Roy Jones fight and he replied something like "Nah, that was a blessing in disguise, he'd have murdered me!" This was back when Roy was still on top for the record...

Comment

Classy to admit, but those Jones fights still should've happened.

Comment

Working...
                      X