Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Spots Up The ATG Would Wins over Cotto and Tony Have Moved Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
    But that's not what he's debating, tho. Hes saying that beating Cotto and Tony in 08 > beating Shane in 2010.
    The thing you gotta realise with Imdazed is that the conversation usually digresses into nitpicking and pedantry. It's more about him trying to find inconsistencies and prove you're a ****** than anything else.

Comment

• I dont get the problem with Floyd's fight with Mosley.

Floyd tried to fight him years earlier but shane "had a tooth ache"

When mosley was actually prime, when he first moved to 147, Floyd was at 130/135.

Floyd fought Mosley after he came off of one of the best wins of his career and at the same time where freddy roach said mosley was "too good" for Pac to fight at 147 and demanded the fight to be made at 143/144 but now the pac fans will criticize Floyd for fighting mosley at 147 during the exact same time that Pac refused to fight him. *******s say he was shot yet freddy roach says he was too good.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
        That's a fair argument as far as what we can guess from retrospect. Yes, the 07 Cotto was a better fighter in the ring than the 09 Mosley who fought Floyd. The eyes don't lie on that.

How it would have been credited to Floyd? It would have been important to catch Cotto undefeated because Margarito always struggled with parts of the press to be taken serious. If he'd caught Cotto undefeated, and seeing how good Cotto was as a foe with both guys past it we can guess it would have been a good fight, it would likely be seen as his best win.

Hell, 2012 Cotto was better than Mosley 2010 and he HAS gotten more credit for that win and it ranks with the best of his career.

It also would have completely changed the landscape as far as a Pac fight goes. Who knows if that ever develops? Cotto might just have led to Cotto II.
        Not according to IMDAZED, or Burner, or DempseyRollin, or GoldenAssasin, etc. LOL

Comment

• [QUOTE=GoldenAssassin;12929859]
          Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post

But again, his stance stays the same had he beaten Cotto/Toney in 08, and not Mosley in 09. They are pretty mutually exclusive. More strong wins to an already strong resume.
          Are you counting both fighters together? Then yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by el*** View Post
            I dont get the problem with Floyd's fight with Mosley.

When mosley was actually prime, when he first moved to 147, Floyd was at 130/135.

Floyd fought Mosley after he came off of one of the best wins of his career and at the same time where freddy roach said mosley was "too good" for Pac to fight at 147 and demanded the fight to be made at 143/144 but now the pac fans will criticize Floyd for fighting mosley at 147 during the exact same time that Pac refused to fight him. *******s say he was shot yet freddy roach says he was too good.
            Excellent post, you show you're a true fight fan not letting bias get in the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by el*** View Post
              I dont get the problem with Floyd's fight with Mosley.

and those same tards were hyping up a fight with a mosley who was not only older but hadn't won a fight in two years!

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                That's a fair argument as far as what we can guess from retrospect. Yes, the 07 Cotto was a better fighter in the ring than the 09 Mosley who fought Floyd. The eyes don't lie on that.

How it would have been credited to Floyd? It would have been important to catch Cotto undefeated because Margarito always struggled with parts of the press to be taken serious. If he'd caught Cotto undefeated, and seeing how good Cotto was as a foe with both guys past it we can guess it would have been a good fight, it would likely be seen as his best win.

Hell, 2012 Cotto was better than Mosley 2010 and he HAS gotten more credit for that win and it ranks with the best of his career.

It also would have completely changed the landscape as far as a Pac fight goes. Who knows if that ever develops? Cotto might just have led to Cotto II.
                Thanks for the bold, Cliff - re-affirms the point I've been trying to make.

Fighting Cotto in 07/08 would have been a monumental event, great fight and yes, a "fantastic" win.

Comment

Not according to IMDAZED, or Burner, or DempseyRollin, or GoldenAssasin, etc. LOL
                  Not according to me? Nah. I have no issue with saying that. I don't agree regarding Margarito though. And I also believe that the win over Mosley is also "fantastic".

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    Yes, Cotto and Margarito were once considered the best welters in the world. Beating them would have been fantastic. However, beating Mosley when he was considered the best welterweight in the world isn't.
                    Did the guy who fought Floyd look like the best WW in the world to you?

Comment

No, I've seen Dazed acknowledge that Mosley obviously wasn't what he was in the ring. I think he argues that Floyd didn't really know that going in. I agree. Could there have been some behind the scenes machinations to free Mosley up when team Pac killed the March 2010 fight.

Maybe.

But I think, and wrote at the time, that it was commendable to take the next best guy. Pac took Clottey, who many (me at ringside included) thought beat Cotto. That was also the right fight to take if they weren't going to fight Floyd because Mosley wouldn't have been available to them. That gets grief too, post-fight, because of Clottey's effort.

Both guys have had some questionable choices. Most BIG name fighters have in the limited activity era. The good outweighs.

On Margarito, let me add: if he had beat him soundly in 2006 or 2007, Margarito would have been called a hype job by many (not me; I always thought Tony was a bad ass and would have given Floyd a tough fight at that time). If it had been a great fight, it would have elavated both guys. We just don't know how credit would have worked out there.
                      Last edited by crold1; 01-18-2013, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X