No announcement yet.

Catch weights want banning..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch weights want banning..

I mean seriously... 17 weight divisions & people are asking for weights in between those weights! What would the old timers think?! LOL Case in point Cotto! Enough of this ****... Defend your title & fight the MW's & stop trying to create a new division! Cotto the super light middleweight king! The WBC belt is becoming a joke... Especially the 160lb version!

I'd like to see them banned. At one point they were just a fun thing for one-off "superfights" but it seems like right now 1 out of 3 big fights has a catchweight thrown in.

Then you have guys like Cotto who flat out refuse to fight at the divisional limit now or ever yet hold the lineal title "because they bring money". Surreal.

Comment

I don't like catchweights either, but the reason people get away with it, is because fighters agree to it. It's their right not to agree.

Geale didn't have to agree to 157.
      Martinez didn't have to agree to 159.

Lara and Kirkland didn't have to agree to 155.

etc etc.

Comment

I dont see nothing wrong with them as long as one fighter is not drained, obviously they do it to drain there opponents,

In the case of Cotto vs Canelo i think it would benefit both i call it fair game

Comment

Banning them will only ensure that even fewer good fights get made! Things are so competitive now that guys struggle for any sort of edge they can acquire. I say we worry about clinching and real threats to the sport, not weights. Why the fk are fans so consumed with that?! Focus on what happens in the ring, not the business negotiations.

Comment

And, enough crying about "draining" too. Don't people realize that if a guy is supposedly drained, then he's naturally much bigger than his opponent! That counts for something, in fact it counts for far more than people ever want to admit.

Comment

There are divisions for a reason! I want to see fighters beat someone with their skills not with anorexia! What's the point of the 160lb division if fighters can make there own weight stipulations up every time they want! How can you call Cotto the lineal MW champion when his opponents aren't weighing in on the limit? They are technically LMW's on the scales... It's a joke! Anyone who drains an opponent will always have a tainted win (should they win) so it's doing them no favours in the long run! 17 divisions & counting LOL

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
                I don't like catchweights either, but the reason people get away with it, is because fighters agree to it. It's their right not to agree.

Geale didn't have to agree to 157.
                Martinez didn't have to agree to 159.

Lara and Kirkland didn't have to agree to 155.

etc etc.
                But If they don't agree they don't get the fight.

They're faced with the prospect of giving in to ridiculous demands, or losing the opportunity to someone that will give in.

There's a fine line between negotiation and extortion. That line is being crossed more and more frequently.

Comment

most catchweights these days are used as psyschological tools and not for actual disagventeages anyway,,learn boxing and stop crying

Comment

I agree catchweights should be banned if a world title is at stake. 160 champion Cotto making Geale fight at an upper limit of 157 to get a shot at his 160 pound world title is a perfect example of why catchweights with world titles at stake should be banned. If no title is at stake then any weight limit both fighters agree to is OK with me.

Comment

Working...
                    X