Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does size REALLY matter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To answer the general question of how much size matters, it always matters. It doesn't determine who wins, obviously, but size has a lot to do with who wins fights many times. Especially if a fighter has the skill to go with their size advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
      It is shocking as a matter of fact is almost unbelievable which is why I believe Guerrero is roiding.
      berto is not a strong fighter and his power is overrated. he's muscular but small in stature.

if armstrong can hold 126,135,147, & 160 at the same time, jumping one or two weight classes is not an issue especially in today's 24 rehydration age.

Comment

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
        In this case I'd like to bring up Martinez-Chavez and Pacquiao-Margarito. How many lbs do you think Chavez had on Martinez? What about Margarito on Pacquiao (not sure if there was a dehydration clause for this one)? The smaller guy might not be able to KO or hurt (even tho Martinez did hurt Chavez) the bigger guy but as you can see when they are skilled they are able to inflict their damage and find their way to win.

And as far as height goes, Lara was able to school a MUCH taller Paul Williams. While Martinez gave him a tough fight in their first encounter then was able to KO him.
        Not very good examples using fighters that are a level above their opponents. Fighters with a similar skill level the bigger has an advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
          Not very good examples using fighters that are a level above their opponents. Fighters with a similar skill level the bigger has an advantage.
          I agree with the skill difference between Martinez and Chavez. But how are Lara and Martinez LEVELS in skills above Williams?

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
            It is shocking as a matter of fact is almost unbelievable which is why I believe Guerrero is roiding.

Comment

I agree with the skill difference between Martinez and Chavez. But how are Lara and Martinez LEVELS in skills above Williams?
              Williams is tall, but he wasn't big, and he didn't fight big.

Comment

Lara is more skilled and williams didn't have a size advantage against sergio, height and reach yes but not weight.

Comment

Those guys were a level above their opponents, fighters with a similar level of ability size makes a big difference.
                  Agreed.

We all love to see David slay Goliath, the underdog beat the favorite. It appeals to most people. It sells. But at the end of the day, the old saying, "All things being equal, a good big man will always beat a good little man," usually applies. You'd go broke always betting the other way.

Comment

Lara is more skilled and williams didn't have a size advantage against sergio, height and reach yes but not weight.
                    Lara may be more skilled but I don't think he was LEVELS above Williams in skills and he was less experienced. They fought at 154 so Im pretty sure he outweighed Lara on fight night too. You're probably right about Martinez and Williams tho. Not sure what their tale of the tape looked like, I kinda forgot.

Comment

In boxing it's height that doesn't matter.

Weight does though. That's why there are weight classes not height classes.

It's all about how hard you can hit and how well you can take a hit.

Some guys are monster punchers in the lower weights but when they move up they're only average. Same thing with speed, punch resistance and stamina.

Your best weight class should be a good balance of all of the above.

Comment

Working...
                      X