Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Pride go under?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So then, will we ever see any major competition for the UFC in the future, like Pride was for them for years? Or are we stuck with the UFC and Zuffa now for many years to come?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      So then, will we ever see any major competition for the UFC in the future, like Pride was for them for years? Or are we stuck with the UFC and Zuffa now for many years to come?
      Maybe the new "Major league of fighting" or "World series of fighting" promotion. Can't remember what its called actually but it looks like they are signing a few good names. Time will tell.
      Last edited by Rapid Counter; 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM.

Comment

You mean the one that Fedor works with, now that he's retired?

Comment

OneFC is the only promotion that has any market cornered.

Comment

You mean the one that Fedor works with, now that he's retired?
            Here you go

http://m.sherdog.com/news/news/World...-Network-45243

I read somewhere that Miguel Torres has just signed with them. They will be doing some tournament based events. Could be interesting.

Comment

Good. Now if they would just use Pride rules, that would make the world series of fighting even better.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                yakuza connections became public.

in japan yakuza is a no-no. so they dumped the stock immediately and zuffa bought it up.

thus pride died.
                I basically agree with this. The yakuza connections started to become public. There was then an article published in a major Japanese news publication detailing the connections. This was basically the straw which broke the camel's back. The TV deal was then gone.

I do not agree with the notions that it was a money problem or that it was because it was a fad, and I have never seen anything confirming such rumors.

Comment

Good. Now if they would just use Pride rules, that would make the world series of fighting even better.
                  OneFC is basically using Pride rules (although they allow elbows on the ground and Pride didn't), although it is in a cage instead of a ring. They had a so-called "open guard attack rule" in effect with respect to soccer kicks until the last event, which meant that the referee had to signal an okay for soccer kicks to be allowed, but this led to a lot of problems and confusion in their events. The biggest example of this was in the recent Tim Sylvia-Andre Arlovski 4 fight on their latest card. Arlovski dropped Sylvia hard with punches, and then soccer kicked him on the ground. The ref hadn't signaled for "open attacks", and the fight was consequently ruled a no contest.

Immediately after the event, OneFC declared that they were going to "full Pride rules" with respect to soccer kicks.

Comment

Good to see Pride Rules back, they favour the striker more. I am sure the UFC would want them as well but they have enough problems as it is getting licensed in some states so they are content with what they have now.

Comment

Perhaps my biggest gripe about the unified rules (with respect to the fights themselves, not the judging) is perhaps the loophole which allows guys to place one hand or knee on the ground, and therefore be exempt from being kneed in the head. I think it's rather farcical.

Also, I forgot to mention that, like Pride, in OneFC fights are scored as a whole, rather than round by round under a 10-point must system. (Round-by-round scoring by 10-point must is basically my other major gripe about the unified rules. This issue is indeed also in line with the regulatory issues, as it is easier to get sanctioned in the US by adopting a like system to boxing.)

I think that OneFC, and other like minded promotions, are on the right track with these sorts of officiating norms.

Comment

Working...
                      X