No announcement yet.

The Floyd-JMM Will Be At 144

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Floyd-JMM Will Be At 144

This is a serious thread. Probably not a 100% official until tomorrow but it seems pretty solid. Check it out:

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr., the welterweight champ and pound-for-pound king until retiring last June, will officially end his retirement on Saturday at an afternoon news to announce a fight with lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez, multiple sources told ****.com.

Golden Boy promotions called the news conference late Friday, but did not reveal the particulars.

Multiple sources said Mayweather, who hasn't boxed since knocking out Ricky Hatton in a December 2007 welterweight title defense, will fight Marquez on July 18 on HBO PPV at the MGM Grand, the same venue hosting Saturday night's fight between junior welterweight champion Hatton and Manny Pacquiao, the man who succeeded Mayweather as the pound-for-pound king.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. last fought in December 2007. He knocked out Ricky Hatton.
    The sides have been close to a deal for several days but the one hang up had been the exact weight. In the end, they settled on a maximum weight of 144 pounds, a source involved with the fight told ****.com.

Mayweather had wanted the fight to be at 145 pounds, but Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs), the smaller man coming up from the 135-pound division where he is champion, wanted the weight as low as possible.

The deal was finalized Friday afternoon following a flurry of conversations over a six-hour period, another source said.

Besides the weight issue, the fight was delayed when Mayweather, a former five-division champion, visited promoter Don King last week at his Florida home, where they discussed a possible deal. But King couldn't get him to sign.

The seeds to a Mayweather comeback had been planted months ago when he began working out and sparring at his Las Vegas gym. Mayweather has also been dogged by IRS problems.

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs), who turned 32 on Feb. 24, told his advisers, Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe, in December that they were free to listen to fight offers.

Also, Mayweather's father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., who trains Hatton, told media members during the promotion of Hatton-Pacquiao that his son's ring return was imminent.

The winner of Mayweather-Marquez clearly looms as the most attractive opponent for the winner of Hatton-Pacquiao. Marquez and Pacquiao have already fought two very close, exciting fights, a draw in the first fight and a split decision win for Pacquiao in the second bout
    Last edited by DLT; 05-02-2009, 01:25 AM.

I personaly think this was the same situation as the Floyd-Hatton fight when Hatton's team said that they wouldnt come to WW to fight anyone else but they would fight Floyd because they dont beleive that he's a real WW. I also said the whole time that if Floyd really wanted to fight JMM then he would have to sign the deal before May 2nd because after that date there is virtually no chance he could fight JMM. Hatton wouldve definatly fought JMM if he had won and Pac wouldve been 50/50 with Floyd & JMM. By taking this fight he takes away both Hatton & Pac's other main option. Now the winner has to fight Floyd. Who else can they fight? Anyone else would be just as hard if not harder to beat than Mayweather but they would be doing it for a quarter of the money that they would make in a Mayweather fight. Alot of people were saying that he would wait until after the Pac-Hatton fight to sign the JMM fight but that just didnt make sense if he really wanted to fight JMM because those guys couldve easily had stolen that fight from Floyd. I am shocked that JMM didnt want to wait though. Hatton might win and he still could make big money against him in an easier fight
    Last edited by DLT; 05-02-2009, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Just like how Pac or Hatton wont fight shane...but they will fight May..because hes not considered a real ww.

Comment

Pacquiao can still fight Valero.

Comment

I started an almost identical thread and it was removed from the site.

Comment

The only chance Marquez has is if the layoff has affected Floyd negatively. Mayweather does everything Marquez does better. And I mean everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Perro View Post
              I started an almost identical thread and it was removed from the site.
              The only reason why I made this one is because there were reports that it would be at a catch weight and then reports that it would be under 145 pounds but they never had an exact weight. Alot of people assumed 144 but alot of others also assumed 143, 142, and some still thought that theres a chance it would be at 140

Comment

144lbs. is the same as 145lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by KEYNES View Post
                  like 4 is the same as 5?

Comment

Originally posted by KEYNES View Post
                    Lets be real man, there is no way in hell that Floyd was going below 144 when he's easily one of the smallest WW's of all time and he still wants to have fights at WW. Thats the thing. No one thinks that he's going back to WW but I have no doubt that he will be back there, against Mosley at the least (thats if he keeps winning)

Comment

Working...
                    X