Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Spence the "hardest" fight at 147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Spence the "hardest" fight at 147?

I've seen so many people and Eddie Hearn (understandably as he's the promoter) claim that the fight with Brook is the best in the division despite Garcia-Thurman unifying with unbeaten records. Many have also said he's a much tougher ask than Pacquiao and although I've been on the Spence train for a while now, despite being a prospect he is a world level rookie. He has bags of potential but is unproven, Kell just fought GGG and is being given tons of credit for fighting his mandatory, he wouldn't dodge one to save his life vs Dan and Bizier but he almost moved a division as soon as the first tough test came up. To sum up, please don't compare Spence to a guy like Pacquiao who won a world title as recent as November, it's disrespectful. P.s I got Brook winning a late stoppage, I think he beats Garcia and Thurman too for the record but fighting your mandatories is what you're supposed to do.

Honestly, Khan fans are so predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
      Honestly, Khan fans are so predictable.
      In before he ducked brook for a bigger name and more money.

Comment

Well even Thurman has said Brook could be stopped by KO by Spence and that it's a hard fight, but yeah if this was the 70s Thurman vs Brook would have happened way before this fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
          In before he ducked brook for a bigger name and more money.
          He ducked Brook many times, and he ducked him this time before a potential Pacquiao fight was even on the horizon.

Brook works to make 147, he just fought Golovkin at 160 making that task even harder, he's only just been cleared to fight after the injury, his team have been asking him to go to 154...there are a number of factors in why he thought about moving up. Instead he's coming back down to fight a very highly rated and hyped guy at 147.

This is a better fight than Garcia-Thurman. Garcia will lose to every top guy at 147.

Comment

It's just because people don't necessarily take a tough mandatory anymore. Let alone fight two destructive fighters in a row one after a serious injury. So by modern standards he gets credit. By 1980s standards it'd be another day at the office. But it's true that a lot of Spence fans seem very disappointed Brook has taken this. They were hoping hed drop the title and Spence would pick it up against a lesser fighter, and also it would add to the myth without the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by bluepete View Post
              It's just because people don't necessarily take a tough mandatory anymore. Let alone fight two destructive fighters in a row one after a serious injury. So by modern standards he gets credit. By 1980s standards it'd be another day at the office. But it's true that a lot of Spence fans seem very disappointed Brook has taken this. They were hoping hed drop the title and Spence would pick it up against a lesser fighter, and also it would add to the myth without the risk.
              Stop it....just stop.

Comment

Spence is not a harder fight than the ones you mentioned, it's the one that makes least 'sense. It carries the highest risk for your career and pays the least.

If Brook lost to Pac, people will say he lost to a legend. If he loses to Thurman or Garcia, he loses to another top dog in the division. And he would get paid well for all of those fights.

Losing to your mandatory who's not a big name will make people question your career and you wont get paid. This is why what Brook is doing is so admirable. You're right, you are SUPPOSED to fight your mandatories, but a lot of folks dont because their mandatories are high risk/low reward.

Comment

I think Spence is a good fighter so I expect a hard fight for Brook..I don't know about the hardest fight tho,I don't know all the way about Spence yet he has more to prove..Right now i can't say Spence is better then Garcia Thurman Pac or Bradley..Hell even Portor..This is a good tough fight tho no doubt about that..

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                    Stop it....just stop.
                    Notice I said "alot of". Some people are still slagging him off for taking it, when before they were slagging him off for not taking it. I'm happy because it's actually a good fight. And I'm glad Spence is coming to the UK, since Brook had to travel for Porter.

Comment

Working...
                    X