The British League Cup

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The British League Cup

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/scotland/13116378.stm

The idea is that the scottish (and presumably the Welsh and Norther Irish) leagues would engage in a cross border cup competition, I would envisage it replacing the League Cup and the Scottish League Cup.

Now I oppose letting Scottish teams into the English Premier League as it's basically a losing situation for everyone:

English teams that should be in the Premiership get bumped in favour of the only well funded Scottish teams.
    Scottish league loses its biggest earners and goes down the toilet.
    The Old Firm loses its allure as they become middle of the table chancers on a par with Bolton (with apologies to Laddie)

This situation would be a win for all involved: The relatively unimportant League Cup gets an excitement injection, making it more of a home nations affair.
    Scottish and Welsh teams benefit from more exposure in a larger market.
    The Old Firm loses its allure as they become early-knockout chancers on a par with Bolton (with apologies to Laddie)

I'm all for it as long as Welsh and Irish teams are permitted to enter.

The person who rates all my threads with one star is a terribly boring individual.

Comment

I honestly think the likes of QPR, Cardiff, Norwich and Swansea could give Celtic and Rangers a run for their money.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir TomJones View Post
        I honestly think the likes of QPR, Cardiff, Norwich and Swansea could give Celtic and Rangers a run for their money.
        I think Celtic and Rangers would struggle if they played English top tier clubs regularly. I also think that the British League Cup would be a bigger money competition which would increase its prestige and also distinguish it somewhat from the FA cup.

Comment

Working...
        X