Collapse
No announcement yet.

nat fleischer..a credible writer ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Nat died in 1972, "Ring Mag" put up his all-time ratings in several different catagories:

Best All-Around Fighter:
    1. Jack Johnson
    2. Jack Dempsey
    3. Joe Louis

Most Courageous:
    1. Rocky Marciano
    2. Marcel Cerdan
    3. Joe Grim

Best Puncher:
    1. Jack Dempsey
    2. Max Baer
    3. Rocky Marciano

Best Left:
    1. Stanley Ketchel
    2. Tony Galento
    3. Bob Foster

Best Right:
    1. Max Baer
    2. Jack Delaney
    3. Willie Lewis

Best Jab:
    1. Joe Louis
    2. Cassius Clay (Ali)
    3. Jem Driscoll

Best Combination Puncher:
    1. Benny Leonard
    2. Ray Robinson
    3. Cassius Clay (Ali)

Best Body Puncher:
    1. Joe Frazier
    2. Tony Zale
    3. Paul Berlenbach

Fastest Hands:
    1. Willie Pep
    2. Pascual Perez
    3. Floyd Patterson

Most Killer Instinct:
    1. Jack Dempsey
    2. Ray Robinson
    3. Joe Louis

Best Footwork:
    1. Gene Tunney
    2. Tommy Loughran
    3. Cassius Clay (Ali)

Most Scientific:
    1. Benny Leonard
    2. Young Griffo
    3. Jem Driscoll

Most Aggressive:
    1. Henry Armstrong
    2. Joe Frazier
    3. Harry Greb

Best Defense:
    1. Jack Johnson
    2. Cassius Clay (Ali)
    3. Tommy Loughran

Most Colorful:
    1. Cassius Clay (Ali)
    2. Max Baer
    3. Ray Robinson

Most Unorthodox:
    1. Harry Greb
    2. Fritzie Zivic
    3. Kid McCoy

Most Durable:
    1. Joe Grim
    2. George Chuvalo
    3. Jake LaMotta

Best Counter Puncher:
    1. Benny Leonard
    2. Joe Gans
    3. Pete Herman

Most Gentlemanly:
    1. Jim Corbett
    2. Dick Tiger
    3. Gene Tunney

Best Uppercut:
    1. Billy Papke
    2. Jem Driscoll
    3. Kid Gavilan

Best Infighter:
    1. Jack Dempsey
    2. Sam Langford
    3. George (Elbows) McFadden

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles View Post
      Nat Fleisher is about as credible a writer can hope to be in the field of boxing journalism. Few respectable historians would have had Ali at the top of the heavyweight list circa 1970. He had a long way to go to prove himself as one of the greatest of all time.
      so ali wasnt looked at as the best ever back then, this just proves to me that in 20 years lennox and hoylfiled will definetly be more appreciated and when the old guys go away, lennox and holy will be top 10s. This sport is kind of a joke, they cant swallow thier pride and admit that the guys they grew up watching were actually inferiort to ali.

Comment

On the same token, 50 years from now, you might be the one arguing against those who say the incumbent 7' 280 lb heavyweight champion with a record of 15 wins and 0 losses is overrated and didn't fight enough.

Comment

On the same token, 50 years from now, you might be the one arguing against those who say the incumbent 7' 280 lb heavyweight champion with a record of 15 wins and 0 losses is overrated and didn't fight enough.
          Nope i dont possess the same illness as other fans do. I know floyd mayweather has more skills than chavez could ever dream of, and chavez was my hero as a kid.

Comment

So you'll just accept this 7' 280 lethargic pro-wrestler looking champion, with 15 fights to his name who won the championship after ten, and fights once every 2 years against the challenger of his choice, as the greatest heavyweight ever?

Comment

So you'll just accept this 7' 280 lethargic pro-wrestler looking champion, with 15 fights to his name who won the championship after ten, and fights once every 2 years against the challenger of his choice, as the greatest heavyweight ever?
              nope, but i'll accept the fact that mayweather will most likely become one of the greatest fighters ever.

Comment

Are you talking about Valuev?

Comment

No I'm imagining a world 50 years from now where champions fight once every two years on average and do more wrestling than boxing...while the writers of the time swear that they'd beat the fighters of today.

It'll happen, I'm afraid. Boxing has been on a slow steady slide down.

Comment

No I'm imagining a world 50 years from now where champions fight once every two years on average and do more wrestling than boxing...while the writers of the time swear that they'd beat the fighters of today.

It'll happen, I'm afraid. Boxing has been on a slow steady slide down.

the slide down began with the huge increase in champions in various ridiculous weight divisions...super middle, jr welter etc etc....one champ for one original weight...if you moved up from light you fought welter, then middle, then light heavy etc

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
                      Told ya his writing style is annoying. lol!!!

RIP Nat.....you crusty old elitest.
                      Luv it!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X