Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by butterfly1964
    Welcome back to "The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey for Losing and Drawing Many Fights Early in Their Careers".

Now we are ready for the countdown, starting with Reason #5.

5: Lack of Equipment - Today, as well as for the past 60 years, boxers who were successful in winning amateur and olympic accolades, were catapulted to the forefront of the media and touted as great, up and coming prospects. However, tyhere were no Olympics or amateur tournaments in Johnson and Dempsey's time, so they were denied the things that a highly publicized new-comer gets in terms of equipment. Without Grade-A training, coaching, and conditioning, the young journeymen weren't able to get on top of the division like they wanted to. But like I said, once Dempsey and Johnson became well-known, and made more money, they were able to acquire the equipment needed, and they were more successful, career-wise.

How did that sound. If you are still not satisfied, here is Reason #4.

4: Ill-Prepared - When Jack Johnson started boxing, he had to hop train cars to get to different cities to take fights; many of them were at the last minute. He didn't in many cases have the time to train as hard as he wanted to. Jack Dempsey's stuation was even worse. He basically lived in street cars, because he was a hobo. They were desperate for the money they would make as well, so sometimes they had no choice. They also unlike today, wouldn't be able to study the fighters before the fight, because it was someone they never saw before.

Stay tuned for more Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey for Losing and Drawing Many Fights Early in Their Careers.

not being able to train properly is enough by itself, i lost fights i could have easily won if i'd trained properly before...this is how some prospects pad their records today, losts of fights i see have guys taking the fight on a week or even a couple days notice, it's guranteed u're gonna lose if u have maybe a single day to train and cut weight

Comment

good stuff

Comment

I liked it.

Comment

Glad to see people atually read my threads.

Comment

This one was good. i thought the subject was gonna be not blaming them for not defending against black heavyweight contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post

We're counting down The Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame Jack Johnson and Jack Dempsey for Losing and Drawing Many Fights Early in Their Careers. Here's a recap.

You've seen Reasons five through two, now here is Reason #1.

1: No Protection - Unlike today, young up and coming fighters weren't avoiding the big name fighters until they were more experienced, they fought them at any age, and Johnson and Dempsey was no different.

Dempsey also fought decent fighters as well, such as Jack Downey and Willie Meehan. This also was a pre-prime Dempsey.

That will do it for this edition of "Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame". I'm butterfly1964, thanks for watching.

In 1920, shortly after serving over a year in prison for the Voilation of The Mann Act, a 43 year old Jack Johnson challenged the 25 year old Dempsey in an effort to win back his title.

Dempsey's camp refused the offer.

Butterfly Productions Inc.
              © 2006
              - -Wonder what happened to butterfly productions.

Anyway, he was an aspiring kid who meant well even if overly steeped in mythology over factual context.

Comment

Working...
              X