No announcement yet.

Nsb pick em 2019 discussion thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    I think participation was an issue last time. I don't have any ideas on how to fix it unless there's a way people can sign up for a group reminder and everyone gets their name tagged a couple days before the event.
    I mentioned I'm hoping to get a Social Group going which should really help with this.. what I'm looking for is someone who knows how that ish works, but if I can't find anyone I'll just dive in and figure it out as we go.

Should be especially useful when we got fights in odd time zones or unusual days.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
      The only thing that bothers me is this, I'll give an example:

Ioka vs Nietes was a very close fight that could have went either way, split decision win for Nietes. Now I voted for a close decision win for Ioka and I get no points while someone who thought Nietes would destroy Ioka in the 1st round would get points. I actually predicted the fight more accurately but I just picked the wrong winner but I won't have any points while he does.

I don't know how you can fix this problem but it just seems off to me.
      I hear you, but I'm also stuck on ideas for how to address that one... can't really put the RESULT behind the method and detail in terms of prority, cos it only really applies in the case of close decisions. If we switch to the <6 pts CLOSE, you could maybe make a case for the guys picking the CLOSE on the wrong guy to get some credit, but it don't really sit right with me in terms of game play... gonna get everyone picking CLOSE DEC on the favourite for most fights simply because it has a really good rate of return.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
        The Split, Clear and Wide decision pick idea is great. I fully support that one. Because wide and close is too broad tbh. If I think of a clear win I think of about 116-112 on all cards, wide from 118-110 to 120-108 on the cards, close more like 115-113 or a Draw like you suggested.

And yes I prefer having also lower ranked fights if it meant having a less clear and obvious favourite. That makes the game way more fun, and real boxing fans should know these fighters anyway.
        I'm very fond of the 3 decisions picks idea... if fact pretty sure we should go for that one. My only real concern is the logistically it precludes returning to picking by poll (cos there's then 12 outcome instead of the maximum polled 10). Now it doesn't really matter directly to me cos I'm OK doing the manual input thing but in case I should have to drop out for some reason future CREW guys may want to return to polling to save on the workload at some point. Still. Cross that bridge when we/they get to it I guess.

And I'm also highly in favour of choosing smaller fights to get less easily predictable outcomes, but I raised the issue and suggested a few smaller fights over the course of the 2018 Pick 'em and the majority view has always seemed to be unfavourable. I'll probably throw in a few anyway, just because I can, like I did last year, but unless I get a lot more people saying the same we're unlikely to make a major change in that regard.

Comment

I'd say keep it the way it is and maybe add a bonus for perfect picks, it's working the way it is, I see no reason to make things more complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by otrocubiche View Post
            I'd say keep it the way it is and maybe add a bonus for perfect picks, it's working the way it is, I see no reason to make things more complicated.
            If nothing else I'm quite keen on changing the scoring system for balancing reasons although my preference would be 20/10/10 rather than 20/5/15 (which is the same as a +10 for perfects) just cos it'll make totting up the scores easier - specially if you start taking in underdog multipliers - regardless of whether we stick with he old 'dog system or apply one of the changes suggested above.

I know you were one of those who got a correct DRAW pick, but what are your thoughts on incorporating draws into CLOSE DEC picks - whether or not we decide to add an extra type of detail? I'm thinking that the 120 pt DRAW picks are kinda random - a draw may be justified in many fights but the chances of the judges awarding them are entirely unpredictable... My thought is it makes sense to award points for a correct DEC pick (without detail) to all players who picked CLOSE DEC (for either fighter) in the event of a draw, but I can see the argument that having a 120 pt DRAW pick makes for a extra excitement with a potentially game changing wild card, so some of the risk takers might like the current method more.
            Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-08-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I think participation was an issue last time. I don't have any ideas on how to fix it unless there's a way people can sign up for a group reminder and everyone gets their name tagged a couple days before the event.
              The reminders that happened in 2017 were nice, but I know that's one more thing for the organizer to add to their list.

Comment

20/10/10 seems fine to me, keep the draw as a separate pick, it does bring excitement and could help someone move up rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by otrocubiche View Post
                  20/10/10 seems fine to me, keep the draw as a separate pick, it does bring excitement and could help someone move up rapidly.
                  I agree that "draw" should be kept separate and rewarded highly, just because it is hard to accurately predict.

Comment

I came in 6th last year... leave that **** alone!

Comment

^^^^^

also imo announce winners every week etc....

i think we should incorporate points somehow....

if we bet we gotta throw like 1k pts something like that and only the most correct pick wins it etc....

can make it out more like a competition.

Comment

Working...
                      X