Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video released of off duty Chicago cop shooting an autistic teenager in Aug of 2017

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video released of off duty Chicago cop shooting an autistic teenager in Aug of 2017

At the time of the incident, Ricky Hayes was 19 years old, but apart from his height, everything about him was childlike. He is developmentally and intellectually disabled. He looks like a child and has the mind of a child. A ward of the state, he lives with a caretaker in a neighborhood on the far south side of the city.

According to his lawyer Gabriel Hardy, Hayes frequently sneaks out of the house and has a history of getting lost out in the city. At roughly 1:25 a.m. on August 13, 2017, his caretaker checked his room and found that he wasn’t there. She immediately called the police to report him missing. About half an hour later, police officers arrived. The caretaker filled out a missing person report and told the officers about Hayes’s disabilities.

In a civil suit against Muhammad and the city of Chicago, Hardy alleges that multiple surveillance cameras recorded Hayes as he wandered his neighborhood. Dressed in shorts, a short sleeve shirt, and sneakers, he can be seen skipping and singing to himself.

At about 5:00 a.m. Muhammad, who was off-duty and was driving his own pick-up truck, saw Hayes and began chasing him. At one point, he drove his truck up on the sidewalk within a few feet of Hayes. Frightened, the boy ran away. The officer continued the pursuit.

Eventually, Hayes stopped running and stood motionless with his hands at his sides on the front lawn of a house. What happened next was captured by a surveillance camera mounted on that house.

Muhammad pulled up and stopped roughly 20 feet from Hayes. Sitting in the cab of his truck, he opened fire with his service weapon, striking Hayes in his chest and arm. Wounded, Hayes again ran away. Muhammad pursued him in his truck, caught up with him, and ordered him to lie face down on the ground.

Muhammad then called 911 and requested an ambulance. I obtained an audio recording of the call through a Freedom of Information Act request. When the dispatcher asks what happened, Muhammad replies, “The guy pulled like he was about to pull a gun on me, walked up to the car, and I had to shoot.”
    https://theintercept.com/2018/10/16/...o-ricky-hayes/
    Unjustifiable shooting
    100.00%
    Justifiable shooting
    0.00%
    Just show me the poll results
    0.00%
    Last edited by Motorcity Cobra; 10-17-2018, 12:23 PM.

Why was he chasing him?

Comment

Originally posted by Dero Zelay View Post
      Why was he chasing him?
      I think he may have said something to the kid and the kid ran away from him.

Comment

I love how they show he's a sergeant. What a despicable thing to do when you're a higher up. I hope he gets jail time and the victim wins the suit.

Comment

WTF send his ass to the electric chair!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
            WTF send his ass to the electric chair!!!!!!
            He hasn't been arrested or charged. Just suspended with pay indefinitely

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              I think he may have said something to the kid and the kid ran away from him.

But why did he get involved in a conversation with him from his car in the first place and then chase him down?

The story is suspect. It looks like maniac cop trying to kill someone.

Comment

But why did he get involved in a conversation with him from his car in the first place and then chase him down?

That's what it looks like to me to.

Comment

oh and a bit of "the gun is not recovered"

wtf really....

the cop shot him and somehow the gun is missing?

bull fuggin shiiit if you ask me

Comment

What the fock? At which point did that kid look like pulling a guy? Fock Murica!

Comment

Working...
                    X