No announcement yet.

Why didn't Andre Ward become a superstar

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn't Andre Ward become a superstar

Heis argubally a top 25 great and one of the most skilled boxers in history. Looking back, I feel he should've been on the same level as Floyd when it came to popularity. Why didn't Ward ever reach those heights?

He was too inactive and too boring inside and outside the ring. I appreciate him however

Comment

Too inactive, didn't sign to a good manager or agent

Ward is well spoken and would have been an easy sell, but most of it is his fault he signed bad deals

Comment

He's not that high up.

Comment

Easy, you have to cross over to the mainstream and to do that you need 1 or a combination of the three things.

1) good looks

2) power

3) engaging/ controversial personality

Ward lacked all of the above

Comment

Not enough of a character inside or outside the ring. That's about it really. Brilliant fighter but to be a superstar you have to cross over to the casual market, and what did ward offer them? They like personalities or some sort of selling point/excitement.

Manny never had a large personality, but he had a selling point of some supposedly very nice guy out of the ring that went tearing through divisions knocking people out. Floyd on the other hand wasn't that exciting, but he was great at drawing attention to himself with his lifestyle and being undefeated and incredibly skilled.

i use them as examples because they were the only true superstars in recent times. As popular as Canelo and AJ are, their popularity is mostly a regional thing. Manny and Floyd were true worldwide stars.

There isn't THAT many hardcore boxing fans, or people that really care about skill and ability in comparison to casual sports fans who just tune into the odd fight now and again, so ward was only going to be appreciated by a few and not on the radar of pretty much everyone else.

superstars are very rare really, it's not often a guy comes along that ticks all the right boxers to be a genuine sporting superstar.
            Last edited by TheBigLug; 10-13-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
              Heis argubally a top 25 great and one of the most skilled boxers in history. Looking back, I feel he should've been on the same level as Floyd when it came to popularity. Why didn't Ward ever reach those heights?
              He got hurt at the worse time, his starmaking performance fell through (after winning Super Six and wrecking Chad Dawson, following that up with a win over a name fighter like Kelly Pavlik would have been crucial), and the legal battle didn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
                He was too inactive and too boring inside and outside the ring. I appreciate him however
                "boring" Floyd was "boring" but still one of the biggest superstars in boxing history.

Comment

Inactivity
                  Not a trash talker
                  Even when he fought on HBO they didn't really talk about him like he was someone you had to see.
                  GGG ducked him (could have been his signature fight)
                  PBC had some good fighters he could have faced but he was on HBO

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon312 View Post
                    depends upon your definition of a superstar. Ward headlined a bunch of shows and was well known. But he was a boxer first and foremost so he wasn't going to get the flashy knockouts. Plus he wasn't an arrogant self promoter. Makes it hard to cross over I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X