Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boxing implement a 13th round if and only if after 12 rounds fight is a draw?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
    No, championship fights were reduced from 15 to 12 rounds for a reason, to expect guys to do one more after they've stopped fighting, hugged, got their celebrations in etc. is pretty cruel. A draw is a valid result even if its not the most popular one. What I would potentially like to see is a mandatory rematch clause in the contract in case of a draw in a championship / qualifying fight. I'm not sure if sanctioning bodies have sufficient authority to enforce it, however.

Yeah I would be for 13 round scheduled fights, but adding on an additional round only if there was a draw would be a cluster fuk and you got like 5+ minutes while they tally up the score cards and all of that instead of the standard 1 minute between rounds. Wouldnt work well.

Comment

What if the 13th round is scored even?

Comment

Absolutely, 13 rounds should be the distance for world championship fights, and any big fight. No doubt.

Comment

Should be 13 right from the start.

Comment

That would be awesome fr .. the fighters would really go all out guns blazing trying to **** the other guy up. It would make for alot of round of the year contenders

Comment

Nope, risks death.

Comment

I would like to see it. I think the IBF actually put this rule into place but it never came to use. In one of Trinidad's early defenses, I remember the commentators mentioning how they'd go to a thirteenth round if it came to it, but it didn't.

I do wonder how it would work, though. After the fighters get all cooled down and the announcements are finally made, they just clear the ring and then send them back in there? It's still fine with me, kind of like overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy Jones Jr. View Post
                  Should be 13 right from the start.
                  I like this idea right here. When you think about it, even numbered rounds is a dumb concept. 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13-round bouts would be a cool norm.

Comment

Interesting Idea, doubt it could be implemented.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
                      I like this idea right here. When you think about it, even numbered rounds is a dumb concept. 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13-round bouts would be a cool norm.
                      After I posted it, I thought the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X