No announcement yet.

Two Fascinating Tales of Sam McVey vs. Ju-Jitsu Experts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Fascinating Tales of Sam McVey vs. Ju-Jitsu Experts

Sam McVey was knows as "L'Idole de Paris." And while he and other black fighters were adored in Paris for their pugilistic abilities, Europe was also becoming more interested in "All-in" fighting, which was what we'd call MMA today.

There are two tales of Sam McVey being contracted to put his boxing skills up to the test against Ju-Jitsu experts.

The first was currently displaying his skills in London. He was Tano Matsuda, a man billed as "The Japanese World's Champion of Ju-Jitsu".

Tano Matsuda arrived the night before the fight and immediately went to his hotel, sending a representative to go over the rules.

The Rules:
    The contest was to be held under the "traditional regulations of boxing against jiu-jitsu fighting" which apparently were common enough that there was little debate as to what they involved. McVea would not have to wear a jacket or vest, but would wear boxing gloves. He would also be permitted to strike his opponent on the ground, while the only tactic forbidden to Tano was gouging the eyes. Each round would last three minutes and the match would continue until one of the men was unable to stand within a ten-count, conceded defeat, or the referee determined they were unfit to continue. In any case, It was also agreed by all parties that any and all decisions by Reichel [the referee] would be final.
    McVey has second thoughts:
    As the fight got closer, McVey began to get more and more worried, despite the amount of money that he would make. Part of the reason he became so worried is because of Sam Langford, who was also present in Paris, playing with his head

Sam was guaranteed 2,000 pounds win, lose or draw. He thought it would be easy money until Langford said, "Lord almighty, Sambo, he'll snap youse bones like matches."

These words from a tough little man like Langford put fear into McVey. He entered the ring ashen grey. He worried off nearly a stone in the few days before the contest. I [trainer, Duke Mullins] told him that his only chance was to get the Japanese with the first punch.

"If you miss," I added, "he'll be throwing your arms and legs to the audience in half a minute."

"Lord, save me," groaned McVey.
    Though McVey seemed to gain confidence when he watched his opponent climb into the ring.

Tano Matsuda wasn't the dreaded Japanese champion he'd be billed as but instead "he was a pathetic english man, skinny, and emaciated." This was soon followed by another surprise, as Baxter now demanded that each round be only two minutes in duration, and, more importantly, that McVea don an uwagi ju-jitsu jacket. There was a huge expression of outrage from the crowd, but both Baxter and Tano refuse to concede on this demand. Sam eventually gave in, and the match was ready to proceed.
    The fight

"The gong sounded and Tano rushed McVea, who, still worried by Langford's warning and remembering Duke's advice, let loose with a fearsome left hook which caught Matsuda squarely on the jaw, dropping him to the canvas. Since striking on the ground was allowed, McVea followed up but only lightly as his opponent was finished. The referee quickly stopped the action, and in only eight seconds it was over."

It was then that the crowd and the management of the Marigny became painfully aware that they'd been had, for Tano Matsuda was not only not Japanese, but not much of a jiu-jitsu master either. (In fact his real name was John Payton, and it seems likely that he'd taken up jiu-jitsu as a student of Mitsuyo Maeda only as recently as the year before.)

Scandal. The furious crowd jumped on the stage, invaded the ring, determined to beat up the impertinent and deceitful Tano. He had disappeared, thankfully for him. Or rather no! With dexterity he had gone to change backstage and mingled with the crowd of protesters. If I recall correctly, he was the one clamoring with the most ardor and violence.
    McVey received his money and never thought of entertaining another match against a Ju-Jitsu expert.

"No, not for me Dook," he said. "What if I missed?"

But later....he would accept one more fight. And this time, against a TRUE Ju-Jitsu Master....
    Last edited by travestyny; 12-08-2020, 02:33 PM.

This time, while in Australia for a fight with World Heavyweight Champion Jack Johnson, the winner would go on to face Sam Langford (the fight with Johnson fell through when there wasn't enough interest to cover the purses), Sam McVey would find himself facing a true Ju-Jitsu Master.

Professor P.W. Stevenson was an accomplished Ju-Jitsu expert. He was said to have traveled to Japan to learn, but they refused to train a white man. He then trained under a Japanese practitioner who was forced to leave Japan. The man agreed to train Stevenson after Stevenson saved him from a bulldog in New York City.

Stevenson became well known in N.S. Wales, Australia for his expertise in Ju-Jitsu and was even appointed to instruct the military and the police in N.S. Wales, Australia. He had various All-in (MMA) matches and nearly always came out on top except occasionally against his rival, Fukishima.

Professor stevenson defeated "Son" Reynolds the heavyweightboxing champion of Broken Hill. The conditions were "all in" the best out of nine bouts of three-minutes each. The second bout was no fall, but Stevenson took the first in 2 min 6 sec, third in 30 sec, fourth in 2 min 30 sec, the fifth in 50 sec, and the sixth by an "arm-grip" which put Reynolds left elbow out of joint, in 17 sec.
    Stevenson's Challenge to McVey and Langford:
    "I reckon I can beat either 'Sam' McVea or 'Sam' Langford in an hour." The professor is very keen on meeting one of the two colored boxers, as he is convinced of his ability to show that boxing, even in the hands of such capable exponents, is not the equal of the Japanese art as a means of self-defence. He is prepared to wager either McVea or Langford a modest £150 that in 12 bouts of five minutes each he can compel his opponent to cry enough seven times.
    "They are great men at their own game, but I have maintained all along, and am of the same opinion still, that with ju-jitsu I can beat any boxer living... I will place no restrictions on them or make any impossible stipulations. The boxer will appear after his custom, wearing the police regulation gloves. I will come forward in ordinary costume....As a matter of fact, I don't care what gloves the boxer wears. He need not wear any at all if the police will permit him."
    His challenge went ignored until McVey was putting on boxing demonstrations and accepting exhibition matches with local boxers in N.S. Wales.

Stevenson renews his challenge, And McVey Accepts:

During Sam McVea's entertalnment at the Rink Hall last night the dusky boxer was publicly challenged to a contest -Ju jitsu and boxing-by the Ju jitsu champion, Professor Stevenson, who is well known locally. The challenge was laid for £25 aside, but this was declined, and the sum was eventually increased to £100 and accepted.
    The rules:
    In it nothing is barred except biting, eyegouging, and attacks on certain vital spots. Everything else is admissible. The kidney punch, the strangle hold, the double Nelson, and other methods of offence ruled out under different codes, may all be brought into action.

McVea will be entitled to hit Stevenson in any position that he may assume for aggressive purposes, whether it be standing, kneeling, lying down or otherwise. Stevenson is debarred kicking for the heart and the straight body kick.
    The Fight:

Stevenson weighed less than 11 stone. McVey was more than 50 pounds heavier.

Rounds 1-4:
    At the signal to commence the first round, Stevenson threw a somersault across the ring and landed prone. He grasped McVea's ankle... McVea looked as though he could have banged away at any portion of Stevenson's anatomy, but close watchers could observe McVea's ankle gradually being twisted round. Not only could he not hit his opponent, but found it impossible even to stand up. He fell eventually and Stevenson worked his hold right up the body, grabbed the right arm, and McVea tapped.

Stevenson had taken the first round in less than 2 minutes. The next few rounds would follow a similar pattern: Stevenson would work to drag McVea to the ground where he would then gain the submission around the 2 minute mark. In the second round, Stevenson tripped McVea to the ground where they rolled around before "Stevenson got the neck hold and seemed to be in a position in which he could have throttled McVea. McVea tapped once more." In the third, Stevenson fell back and dragged McVea down with him where he secured a "severe arm hold" and "eventually McVea gave way once more". In the fourth, "Stevenson dropped to the ground and lay there, inviting an attack. McVea lunged at him, and Stevenson grabbed his arm and ragged his opponent down" where he secured a scissors hold on McVea's head, forcing him to surrender yet again.

Now down four rounds to none and on the brink of losing the match, many spectators began to question if McVea was giving it his all. It was obvious that the Professor was doing almost all the hard work: where he was perspiring heavily and breathing hard, McVea looked about as fresh as he did when the match began.The boxer had managed some offense, landing some lefts and uppercuts in rounds two and three, and ramming some hard blows to Stevenson's midsection when trapped in the scissors hold in the fourth, but nothing too meaningful or threatening.

During the bout the work of neither man was received very well. The sporadic applause was always downed by cries of dissatisfaction. However, It appeared to some that McVea missed many occasions when he could easily have despatched his opponent

Some, perhaps more astute, witnesses were more forgiving of McVea's seemingly poor showing.

McVea, however, was justified in being cautious, however, as to be caught off his guard for a second meant defeat against so skillful an exponent of jiu-jitsu.

The "Sensational" Fifth Round:

Stevenson easily got hold of McVea's neck. The latter, however, seemed to be prepared for this. He straightened up and swung Stevenson off his feet, and whilst he clung there McVea drove solid blows to the stomach They were very solid blows, and they eventually drove Stevenson off. Then McVea got to work in earnest, and at long range attacked Stevenson's head. He sent in heavy lefts to the jaw. Three times in succession he sent Stevenson to the boards for four seconds, four seconds, and eight seconds. Stevenson got up very groggy, and McVea went in to finish him. Stevenson, however, dragged his man in again, and both fell on the floor. McVea continued to send in solid punches to the body and face. Stevenson turned over, and McVea immediately drove in three powerful blows to the back of the neck and Stevenson was out.

Stevenson's corner, unable to revive him in time for the next round, decided to throw in the towel. This was met by hooting from the crowd, mostly from Stevenson supporters upset that he was about to be declared the loser even though he was up four rounds to one.

Afterwards, McVea explained his strategy (Stevenson was reported to have not been in any condition to speak to the press): being familiar with jiu-jitsu, he had intentionally been overly cautious, wanting to force the smaller Stevenson to tire himself out while not risking injury himself. Eventually in the fifth round an opening appeared and he took full advantage of it, proving that his strategy had been sound.

Sam McVea never again faced a ju-jitsu opponent, instead focusing the rest of his days on boxing. He ended his Hall of Fame career with a record of 65-16-12 in the sport.

And 2-0 in "all-in".

All information courtesy of "The Martial Chronicles":
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/7...s-fraud-london
    https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/1...u-Jitsu-Boxing
    Last edited by travestyny; 12-08-2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Cool stuff. Pretty badass to accept the challenges too. All In is a good name. I just remember it being called No Holds Barred, Vale Tudo and eventually Ultimate Fighting before they settled on MMA. I believe Mitsuyo Maeda also trained Helio Gracie and his brothers, who then trained his sons. They kept the Gracie Challenge going for years in Brazil, with the sons carrying on the tradition until they brought it to the US, leading to Rorion getting a call from Art Davie, leading to the formation of the UFC and the rest is history.

I remember hearing Art Jimmerson had the same fears going into his fight with Royce Gracie in UFC 1. Gene Lebell had a pretty memorable fight with a boxer as well where he rendered the guy unconscious with a rear choke hold.

Comment

Very interesting stuff, travestyny... thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Cool stuff. Pretty badass to accept the challenges too. All In is a good name. I just remember it being called No Holds Barred, Vale Tudo and eventually Ultimate Fighting before they settled on MMA. I believe Mitsuyo Maeda also trained Helio Gracie and his brothers, who then trained his sons. They kept the Gracie Challenge going for years in Brazil, with the sons carrying on the tradition until they brought it to the US, leading to Rorion getting a call from Art Davie, leading to the formation of the UFC and the rest is history.

I remember hearing Art Jimmerson had the same fears going into his fight with Royce Gracie in UFC 1. Gene Lebell had a pretty memorable fight with a boxer as well where he rendered the guy unconscious with a rear choke hold.
          Thanks for the info. on Mitsuyo Maeda, Anthony! Much appreciated! It's really cool to realize how the past has morphed into the present! Definitely cool stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
            Very interesting stuff, travestyny... thanks for posting.
            No problem, Bundana! It was exciting for me to read, so I was thinking some of the people here might enjoy it as well!

Comment

I like the idea of a tapout simply ending the round. Not the fight.

As long as the fighter can recuperate within the allotted time and keep going then the fight should continue.

MMA could be more fun if this rule was incorporated. Have them do 15 rounders this way.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                I like the idea of a tapout simply ending the round. Not the fight.

As long as the fighter can recuperate within the allotted time and keep going then the fight should continue.

MMA could be more fun if this rule was incorporated. Have them do 15 rounders this way.
                I dunno it kind of takes away from the 'as close to a real fight as a sport can be' that MMA plays off.

A tap out is the end of a fight. If it was a real fight, you would just be choked out or have your arm broken in half

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                  I dunno it kind of takes away from the 'as close to a real fight as a sport can be' that MMA plays off.

A tap out is the end of a fight. If it was a real fight, you would just be choked out or have your arm broken in half
                  A knockout is the end of a real fight too, but in the bareknuckle era the fight could continue as long as the downed fighter could recover and make it back to the scratch line.

I think this makes for a tougher and more truer test of a fighting man. Both guys get ample opportunity to show their skills, to prove how much stamina they really have, and to demonstrate who can make the smarter strategic adjustments.

15 three-minute rounds under that rule set would be interesting to see I think.

Comment

Some of these rules you guys are talking about, tap outs, etc can be measured because Brazil has a long tradition of combatives. Everything from catch wrestling, to martial arts etc. Boxing was never as big but boxing also has a place in Brazilian history. Even stuff like strong man contests... Also Judo which became part of Gracie fighting was allowed to continue to develop from an expatriot Japanese community in Brazil, so the judo traditions were very evolved actually, hence the Gracie family dynasty maeda was a Ju Jutsu and Judo man.

Comment

Working...
                    X