Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocky Marciano vs Floyd Patterson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

because when you think about it besides being the youngest heavyweight champ (before tyson) he didnt' do anything that big
    He became the first man to win the heavyweight title twice.

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMarcianofan00
      Patterson really wouldn't be the best he'd probably be the biggest name fighter he ever fought though

because when you think about it besides being the youngest heavyweight champ (before tyson) he didnt' do anything that big

beside lose to ali
      he also was the first to regain the hw championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger
        He became the first man to win the heavyweight title twice.
        oops, looks like i'm a little late.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
          he also was the first to regain the hw championship.
          ah something else i had forgotten well i mean besides that cause after him there was the fact that Tyson became younger and Ali won it 3 times so...
          ya see what i'm getting at he was good but not a great in the same sense
          ________
          Medical marijuana seeds
          Last edited by RockyMarcianofan00; 08-23-2011, 07:17 AM.

Comment

of couse Patterson should had never lost the title to Ingo in the first place.

Had Dempsey, Louis, Charles and others had a shot to regain the title from Ingo. They would have done it.
            But GREAT fighters like Charles, Tunney and Marciano stop these old greats to being the first to regain the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles View Post
              Ezzard Charles was better than Patterson.
              - -Most all agree on this, and indeed in our era, had Rocky the split nose in the first Ez fight, he have probably been stopped by the ref.

To be fair to that more life and death fight era, the ref did tell Rock he was going to stop the fight in the next rd if he couldn't take care of business, and the rest history in the moment!

Comment

While I doubt Marciano would have ever been a Heavyweight Champion BEFORE WWII, I KNOW Floyd would not have been.

Floyd couldn't take a punch well. Marciano could punch well. To say the least.
                Last edited by Rusty Tromboni; 05-17-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osamabinwayne View Post
                  I don't know much about Patterson but from what I hear he was greatly skilled, used the same defense as Tyson, and had hand speed under Ali's. He however had the weakest chin of all heavyweights and anyone that comes in the ring with Rocky is going to get dropped on their face. Patterson however had alot of heart and would probably get up several times to continue the the fight. I see Patterson stinging Rocky in the first several rounds losing on the score cards until Rocky starts to heat up and unleashes bombs after bombs until the Ref calls the fight. Rocky TKO by 9. Please give me your insights.
                  Patterson wins the first rounds and even floors Rocky. But eventually, he goes down from Rocky's relentlessness and punching power.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964 View Post
                    if floyd and charles ever fought, floyd would hand him his ass!
                    Wishful thinking. Regardless of who won, it would be a tough fight for both men.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi View Post
                      Absolutely!

With the exception of handspeed and possibly punching power, Ezzard Charles was simply a better & more skilled fighter than was Floyd Patterson...Much better defense, footwork, versatility, pure boxing technique, counterpunching skills, overall balance, quicker upperbody reflexes, toughness, chin, etc., etc.
                      Yogi can't beat Brian London, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X