Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Amir Khan Is A Younger Version Of De La Hoya Stylistally?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Amir Khan Is A Younger Version Of De La Hoya Stylistally?

First, let me start out by saying, Khan has a long way to go in his career before he can be even mentioned in the HOF or ATG. But he is on the right track.

I think Oscar and Khan are similiar in many ways. Let's take a look.

Jab - Both have very effective jabs. The edge goes to Oscar in this category. Oscar's jab has been proven against better opposition thus far. But both jabs are very crisp and applied in the same manner.

Speed - Even. I would have to say both fighters throw combinations at a very alarming rate.

Power - Even. I think Oscar had the one of the hardest left hooks in the game. While Khan's left hook to the body can be evenly convincing (i.e Maidana body shot).

Style - Both fighters have similar styles. They're both boxers who rely on speed, combinations, and a stiff jab. It's not just the fact that they throw combinations, it's how Khan throws his combo's that reminds me of Oscar.

Chin - I give a huge edge to Oscar in this department. Granted Oscar's been dropped by Quartey, Vargas, and Hopkins (body shot), Oscar had one of the best chins in the business. Khan was obviously stopped by Prescott.

Willingness to fight the best during the 1st 5 years of their careers.

Khan:

Barrera
    Kotelynyk
    Salita
    Maidana

Oscar:

Jeff Mayweather
    Ruelas
    Hernandez
    Leija
    Chavez
    Gonzales
    Whitaker
    Camacho

Body type:

Both are 5"10. Khan has a 71' reach while Oscar's is 73'. Oscar started his professional career around 130, while Khan started his around 135.

Conclusion:

If Mayweather ever fights Khan, I think the fight would be very similar to Mayweather vs ODLH. Khan can apply a sound/similar jab as Oscar, but Khan doesn't have the chin to apply the same pressurized style that Oscar did. If Khan does, look for him to get stopped early.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 09-02-2011, 11:36 PM.

I agree.

I made this comparison a while back when Katsidis-Khan was being discussed.

I said it would've have looked like Oscar-Gatti.

Comment

Power- Oscar Jab- Oscar Chin - Oscar. Hopkins knocked him down with a body shot.. so his chin was irrelevant. Oscar has never not been dropped by Vargas. Don't think Khan's in his prime yet though so we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

lol @ Barrera .......

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
          lol @ Barrera .......
          Ha.....just saw that.

Joke fight.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
            lol @ Barrera .......
            Granted Barrera wasn't in his prime, but the "willingness" to fight the best is the key.

A Barrera not in his prime is still better than most up and comers. Although I do think Barrera was more over the hill when he foughht Khan than Chavez was when he fought Oscar....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Ivey View Post
              Power- Oscar Jab- Oscar Chin - Oscar. Hopkins knocked him down with a body shot.. so his chin was irrelevant. Oscar has never not been dropped by Vargas. Don't think Khan's in his prime yet though so we'll just have to wait and see.
              This is true. That was a typo. I meant to put body shot in parenthesis next to Hopkins. It's late, so I'm kinda tired lol

Since I was going off memory, I knew Oscar almost went down against Vargas when Oscar was trapped against the ropes, but I couldn't remember for sure.

I know there was a fight where he was dropped out of nowhere against not that great of a fighter, but I'm trying to remember who it was. It's been a while....

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                This is true. That was a typo. I meant to put body shot in parenthesis next to Hopkins. It's late, so I'm kinda tired lol

Since I was going off memory, I knew Oscar almost went down against Vargas when Oscar was trapped against the ropes, but I couldn't remember for sure.

I know there was a fight where he was dropped out of nowhere against not that great of a fighter, but I'm trying to remember who it was. It's been a while....
                Ike Quartey.

6th round.
                Last edited by Evil Abed; 09-02-2011, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                  Ike Quartey.

6th round.
                  I mentioned Quartey, but I thought it was someone else for some reason...

Carr maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
                    I mentioned Quartey, but I thought it was someone else for some reason...

Carr maybe?
                    Sweat Pea has a knockdown on Oscar.

Comment

Working...
                    X