Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 12-04-2017, 12:43 PM #41
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
billeau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond reputebilleau2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 50,000,020,000,002,092,826,624.00
Grade A explanation of punching technique. - - Ram Raid - Knowledgeable - -Weltschmerz- Happy holidays and best wishes for 2016 - -Weltschmerz- Lmao - -Scott-Weiland- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cruise View Post
Thats the thing about power though, you can punch as hard as you like on the heavybag, but in a fight, a big part of what makes a great power puncher is their ability to land with that power. To be able to coordinate their body in the right way in the face of a moving target. Thats where footwork, ring IQ, timing and ring generalship comes in. Thats why Joe Louis is, for me, the greatest puncher ever. Its not that he generated the most force, its that he was so brilliant at setting up and delivering his power.

Conor Mcgregor to me looked like he just wasnt sure where his target was going to be and so had to take all the steam off his shots to get them to land. You see the same with power punchers all the time as they move up in class. Its why GGG didnt look especially powerful against Canelo despite it being proven again and again that he can punch like a mule kicks.

A good demonstration my old coach used to do was using a tennis ball, he would throw it to one of us and ask us to hit as hard as we could. At first he would throw it the same pace, same angle and trajectory every time, then as it went on he would start to mix it up. At first you can turn your body into the shot and punch through the target because you know when and where it will be, when he starts mixing up the speed and stuff that becomes impossible. You basically tighten up and start using arm punches to make sure you hit the target. Was quite a good way to demostrate what good defence can achieve and how difficult it is to land with power and it always stayed with me.

Power in boxing is a fascinating subject to me. From the physiological (how ya body is put together), psychological (the confidence and attitude to punch with mean intentions in the face of danger) and technical (technique, ring craft etc) there are so many facets to it.

Yup. I love the small bag on the elastic bungee for a similar reason. It becomes very difficult to get your weight forward, the punch delivered when this bag starts moving. Sure one can tap it lol, but catching it with all those factors is the drill! This is how i teach my two sons to punch, it is in the living room, much to the chagrin of the mrs lol, and you can jab the thing and even catch it regularly with the weight not transferring...then the idea becomes after jabbing it, when it is back, sneaking in a big punch weight forwards... I love it!

Another thing your drill reminded me of, I use a piece of sting for a speed bag. same idea, catching the string at will with the weight in the right place...these two drills make the heavy bag pretty easy to use!!
billeau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 12-04-2017, 02:17 PM #42
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 11519 Post(s)
Zaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 835,196,600,044,485,738,496.00
Total Points: 689,583,589,867,108,698,161,152.00
Cheers Jhonny!  SOG!  SOG! - Redd Foxx Enjoy this tasty burger! - JimRaynor Happy Hanukkah - Freedom. Learn English.  U faggot. - HAMMER77777 Been reading your posts.  Theyre not even in English.  U must have dropped out of school.  U sound very illiterate.  And I flagged ALL your racist stuff u will be banned - HAMMER77777 
Keep it up man.  This is too EZ.  They ley a lot of shit go in here, but racism isn't 1 of them.  I'm flagging everyone of your comments.  If mega doesnt ban u, Boston will.  Racism is not allowed on here.  So keep writing, I'll keep flagging then I' - HAMMER77777 Thought so.  Quiet now, huh?  Move along, I am done with you. - HAMMER77777 No hard feelings man.  If you're ever near North Dakota, u are welcome to have SOme Beer with my wife and I.  Take care, enjoy your visit to India.  You will see more of it than I ever have. - HAMMER77777 Dude, seriously.  If u can click on VBUCKS menu, u can delete that rude shit I sent u.  I apologize.  You're OK, I'm sorry I insulted you.  I really am. - HAMMER77777 dey hatın, we makin! - Floyd's Mask 
Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy New Year, Christmas, and all the best to you this holiday season Zaroku! - Redd Foxx Thnx for the green ;) - Boxing Goat Keep up the great posts, brother. - anthonydavid11 Welcome Back, Signor Mata. - P.K Dionysus 
Rock on! - HeadBodyBodyBody Good poster with a unique style. - 1bad65 Great post, my dude... - Tony Trick-Pony A medal for Jhonny.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Zaroku The Legend! - travestyny 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by them_apples View Post
[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]

6 ft 10 275.

let's see some more, since it's obviously a new age Gimmick and a sign that the HW division is weak whenever it get's ruled by size kings.
I eats dem muthrfbcjinnn apps ez and azz clowns too
Zaroku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:21 PM #43
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 11519 Post(s)
Zaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond reputeZaroku has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 835,196,600,044,485,738,496.00
Total Points: 689,583,589,867,108,698,161,152.00
Cheers Jhonny!  SOG!  SOG! - Redd Foxx Enjoy this tasty burger! - JimRaynor Happy Hanukkah - Freedom. Learn English.  U faggot. - HAMMER77777 Been reading your posts.  Theyre not even in English.  U must have dropped out of school.  U sound very illiterate.  And I flagged ALL your racist stuff u will be banned - HAMMER77777 
Keep it up man.  This is too EZ.  They ley a lot of shit go in here, but racism isn't 1 of them.  I'm flagging everyone of your comments.  If mega doesnt ban u, Boston will.  Racism is not allowed on here.  So keep writing, I'll keep flagging then I' - HAMMER77777 Thought so.  Quiet now, huh?  Move along, I am done with you. - HAMMER77777 No hard feelings man.  If you're ever near North Dakota, u are welcome to have SOme Beer with my wife and I.  Take care, enjoy your visit to India.  You will see more of it than I ever have. - HAMMER77777 Dude, seriously.  If u can click on VBUCKS menu, u can delete that rude shit I sent u.  I apologize.  You're OK, I'm sorry I insulted you.  I really am. - HAMMER77777 dey hatın, we makin! - Floyd's Mask 
Happy Holidays.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy New Year, Christmas, and all the best to you this holiday season Zaroku! - Redd Foxx Thnx for the green ;) - Boxing Goat Keep up the great posts, brother. - anthonydavid11 Welcome Back, Signor Mata. - P.K Dionysus 
Rock on! - HeadBodyBodyBody Good poster with a unique style. - 1bad65 Great post, my dude... - Tony Trick-Pony A medal for Jhonny.. - !! AI-Holmes!! Zaroku The Legend! - travestyny 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - !! AI-Holmes!! AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - !! AI-Holmes!! World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billeau2 View Post
Yup. I love the small bag on the elastic bungee for a similar reason. It becomes very difficult to get your weight forward, the punch delivered when this bag starts moving. Sure one can tap it lol, but catching it with all those factors is the drill! This is how i teach my two sons to punch, it is in the living room, much to the chagrin of the mrs lol, and you can jab the thing and even catch it regularly with the weight not transferring...then the idea becomes after jabbing it, when it is back, sneaking in a big punch weight forwards... I love it!

Another thing your drill reminded me of, I use a piece of sting for a speed bag. same idea, catching the string at will with the weight in the right place...these two drills make the heavy bag pretty easy to use!!

Let me interject "catching it" is all that matters, & getting off of the canvas, taking a loss...

Because....if any part of your body except your feet touch that canvass, etc
Zaroku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:54 PM #44
Infidel

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Humean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 988,204,267,469,876.38
Total Points: 988,212,267,607,381.50
Because you are a big douche - Boxing Goat 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
You know an interesting thing I read was a sports science study said that actually heavier gloves generate more force.

There is a youtube video where they compare MMA Gloves and Boxing gloves. 4oz vs I think 10 oz.

I don't see how that's possible but just to put an interesting point in there.

Conn was a great fighter but too small for HW.
I'd be pretty confident in saying that the ligher gloves generate more force, do you have a link to this study?

I know the youtube video you are talking about, unfortunately the video doesn't really explain all their methods so I don't think it is too reliable.

However it might be that the difference in force between a 10 oz modern glove and a 6 oz modern glove is less significant than I (and the authorities) think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Why is it that big KO artists in UFC come to boxing and seemingly have no power what so ever? Mike Perry and Conor McGregor, massive KO% in UFC yet looked like they started throwing punches for the first time a week prior to their boxing debuts.

Fascinating.

The gloves a factor? Or no?
I'd say that the gloves are the biggest factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
When I use to fight we sparred with 16oz gloves and they hurt worse than the 10oz gloves we fought with. Have never looked into the science, but this is my own personal opinion and observation.
Might that not be because of your adrenaline, in a 'real' fight as opposed to sparring your fight or flight response is heightened?
Humean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:39 PM #45
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,370,252,194,665,641,279,488.00
Total Points: 1,469,152,194,666,641,752,064.00
keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! 
A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily 
Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest 
For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST Apologies for any misunderstanding.  Cheers. - HAMMER77777 Merry Christmas - TBear 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humean View Post
I'd be pretty confident in saying that the ligher gloves generate more force, do you have a link to this study?

I know the youtube video you are talking about, unfortunately the video doesn't really explain all their methods so I don't think it is too reliable.

However it might be that the difference in force between a 10 oz modern glove and a 6 oz modern glove is less significant than I (and the authorities) think.

Might that not be because of your adrenaline, in a 'real' fight as opposed to sparring your fight or flight response is heightened?
Maybe, but I don't think so. We sparred like it was a regular fight. And truth be told, I almost always sparred with pros who were better than anyone I ever fought against with the exception of Brian Barbosa.
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM #46
Infidel

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Humean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond reputeHumean has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 988,204,267,469,876.38
Total Points: 988,212,267,607,381.50
Because you are a big douche - Boxing Goat 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB5239 View Post
Maybe, but I don't think so. We sparred like it was a regular fight. And truth be told, I almost always sparred with pros who were better than anyone I ever fought against with the exception of Brian Barbosa.
So you felt more physical pain from say a punch to your arm from a 16 oz glove than a punch to your arm from a 10 oz glove?

Perhaps the better pros you sparred with punched harder even with 16 oz gloves than your opponents in your 'real' fights did with 10 oz gloves.
Humean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:58 PM #47
BoxingScene Icon

Quoted: 3972 Post(s)
IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,123,998,020,914,872,057,856.00
Total Points: 1,123,999,050,134,988,521,472.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 ATG Boxingscene Poster - JohnnyRebel Im glad you learned how to use internet Grandpa - Canelo and GGG 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:

I think it was just that video to be honest, I am going off memory.

I agree with you totally. Lighter gloves more force, surely????

Was just throwing that out there as it was shown to me a few years ago.
IronDanHamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:49 PM #48
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 43,196,983,464,020,856.00
Total Points: 43,196,983,464,023,088.00

I like to punch with hundred pound sacks of grain attached to my wrists. The extra weight in my hand adds power to my shots. I believe my punches are harder than when I use only the fifty pound sacks. But the fifty pound sacks make up for it with less padding and a harder surface.
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:50 PM #49
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,370,252,194,665,641,279,488.00
Total Points: 1,469,152,194,666,641,752,064.00
keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! 
A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily 
Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest 
For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST Apologies for any misunderstanding.  Cheers. - HAMMER77777 Merry Christmas - TBear 

Quote:
So you felt more physical pain from say a punch to your arm from a 16 oz glove than a punch to your arm from a 10 oz glove?

Perhaps the better pros you sparred with punched harder even with 16 oz gloves than your opponents in your 'real' fights did with 10 oz gloves.
What I think it amounts to is the amount of mass a 16oz covers compared to 8oz or 10oz gloves. I'm not a sports scientist, just a guy with an opinion based on my own experiences.
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 PM #50
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 835 Post(s)
The Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond reputeThe Old LefHook has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 43,196,983,464,020,856.00
Total Points: 43,196,983,464,023,088.00

The glove question is more interesting than the original heavyweight question.

Force has a linear relationship with Mass and Acceleration, the latter being mainly a fancy word for the Speed of the punch.

F=MA

If one were able to maintain the same Speed with the heavier glove, then of course the punch would be delivered with more Force. But we see the reduction in Speed must be compensated by the same factor in the numerator for the Force to remain unaffected. If we have

F=2MA/2, to remain unaffected. We expect the extra mass to be exactly compensated for by the extra force introduced by doublings and halvings.

How much does the extra mass of a heavier glove slow the punch down as the mass increases? We do not have an equation for this, but the result can only be a number, even if its final form is as a calculus derivative. We chose 2 for halvings and doublings just because it was an easy simple number, not at all because it was realistic. It would take an awfully heavy glove to slow a punch's rate of travel by half. But on paper we see how any number works. The mechanics of the operation will be the same, we just do not know the actual number which represents the slowing of the punch, so we have pretended for the sake of simplicity we have cut it in half.

The relationship is linear. If we cut the rate in half, we have to double the mass to compensate if we want no change to the punch's force. The boxer cannot suddenly punch with more strength. The increase in force, if any, has to be the direct result of the added mass and its increased impact. We want it to exactly match what was lost in speed, no matter what the real number is other than 2. Yes, we can write these numbers down in an equation, but can they represent reality?

I think our method is okay. When a boxer puts on a heavier glove, a reduction in speed accompanied by an increase in force can only be explained one way--by referring to the increased mass. Blame it on the mass.
The Old LefHook is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
bigger, heavyweights, myth, part

User Tag List