No announcement yet.

Tunney vs Langford

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rspen46 View Post
    I agree with you and seeing the comment no matter how much anyone tries to romanticize Sam's legacy is point on, one of the best comments on him I've seen, I did not know Sam personally, and I love boxing and great fighters, yes Sam probably was a great fighter in his time, but every argument I see for him to be even greater, people have to say what if, or maybe if this or that, to me if you have to come up with things and excuses continuously for a Fighter, then he does not deserve the ranking someone is trying to hand to him, great in his time against some of the good black fighters of his time, but we have to leave it there and leave him outside the top 20 Hw's of all time, move him down some to LHW or even MW, stop placing a 5 foot 7 inch fighter as a great all time HW yes he beat and had a draw with will's when both were pretty near or in their prime before the dozen of or so fights when Sam went downhill, but that's 1 guy, many fighters have a nemesis, maybe sam was that for Harry Wills,
    - -What grade you be in for the new school year?

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
      Langford was able to give Johnson a hard, tough fight. .

I dont think Langford gave Johnson a tough fight. I heard the story. "The action was so great the crowd could be heard howling for miles". "At the end of 15 rounds Johnson was given the decision for inflicting the most damage"
      While i believe Johnson inflicted the most damage.I believe it was one sided more or less
      The reality was according to Langford "Johnson gave him a good whipping.

Comment

Originally posted by RED REP View Post
        Also, Tunney could of easily been 3-2 with Greb, that's not mastering anything, some of those news paper decisions were bull. Tunney went to the body and nearly knocked Greb out in one of their last bouts so i do still understand your point.

Your right about Greb almost knocked out. Tunney i believe could have KOed Greb but spared him the indignity of being KOed. Also more importantly Grebs manager when arranging the fight. Did not put a weight stipulation on Tunney which was negligence. Tunney weighed around 20 ibs more then Greb Also Tunney stated by then Greb 4 years older then Tunney was slipping

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Langford hit like a mule kick. I could see him losing to Tunney on points but I could also see him settings traps, hurting the Fighting Marine, and knocking him out.
          I pick Tunney but
          Langford knocked out a lot of guys. Ones much bigger and ones he lost to on points previously..

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
            Chess match indeed.
            I'd love to know which game it is you're mistaking for chess...

Tunney keeps Sam at the end of his jab. Once Sam gets frustrated being unable to set proper traps or effectively smother Tunney, he finds himself stationery enough for Tunney to bomb him out.

The disparity in class is astounding.

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            Here I think we have a matchup with real intrigue which is hard to call. This cannot be an easy fight for either man. Both are slippery and both hit hard. Tunney mastered Greb and Langford was able to give Johnson a hard, tough fight. I think there will be blood in this fight, though it may resemble a chess match, too.
            That's not what the footage shows.

Langford was great. He was ahead of his time, and he maintained an impressive decades-long legacy. I don't want to trivialize him. But the footage shows Tunney was a good bit better.

He also had a much higher KO percentage against more impressive competition, rather than fighting the same six guys over, and over, and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post

Langford was great. He was ahead of his time, and he maintained an impressive decades-long legacy. I don't want to trivialize him. But the footage shows Tunney was a good bit better.

He also had a much higher KO percentage against more impressive competition, rather than fighting the same six guys over, and over, and over again.
              - -The rare footage on Tunney shows him being KOed by Jack.

Tunney fought Greb over and over again.

Now, I don't say you damned Gene, I say you just damned yerself yet again.

Whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                - -The rare footage on Tunney shows him being KOed by Jack.
                And you bang your head against the wall trying to figure out why no one takes you seriously....

Mayweather stops them both in 5, right?

Comment

Originally posted by jack p View Post
                  I pick Tunney but
                  Langford knocked out a lot of guys. Ones much bigger and ones he lost to on points previously..
                  That's a healthy reasonable post. But I disagree very much.

Tunney has a better KO ratio, and fought better opponents than Langford. I will be the first to admit that his record is very Mayweather-esque. It was one of the most exquisitely managed careers in Boxing history. But that doesn't change the fact that the Irishman was a proven boxer-puncher. None of his contemporaries questioned his success. More comment is made about his retiring before really reaching his prime.

Langford was like a Toney w/ a Mugabi punch. Incredible as that is, it doesn't make him invincible.

Toney struggled to make weight against Jones, and had no experience against that type of anomaly/fighter. But the outcome was cut and dried. Sure, Toney had a more impressive career north of 175, but that does not change the evidence demonstrating Jones was the superior fighter between them.

Toney and Byrd had some heroic performances, but does anyone mention them in the same breath as Pernell Whitaker or Willie Pep?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
                    I'd love to know which game it is you're mistaking for chess...

Tunney keeps Sam at the end of his jab. Once Sam gets frustrated being unable to set proper traps or effectively smother Tunney, he finds himself stationery enough for Tunney to bomb him out.

The disparity in class is astounding.

That's not what the footage shows.

I was pulling Lefty's leg...not the middle one.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      I was pulling Lefty's leg...not the middle one.

Comment

Working...
                      X