Collapse
No announcement yet.

Federal minimum wage sets record.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This stuff is crazy. My first job I made crap 4.75hr. Was someone going to pay me a bunch of money to wash dishes? I dont think so. There's a reason the staff in the back were all HS kids. No adult was going to take that job or wage.

I think 12hr is good to make a taco or take a order. Do you guys think that person should make more than that? If so you know who's coming to replace your job.

We're at a weird place where tech has caught up with us. Now we have machines that take your order or make your food. Sure you can have your 20hr to make a taco but dont be shocked when your job is replaced with a robot. Then what?

Comment

Originally posted by man down View Post
      Yes, if you're making that wage you are dumb! No one in this job market should be making that. Heck in and out starts at 16hr. Can you flip a burger? My local taco bell has a sign up starting at 12.50.
      Your local taco bell aside, the reality remains some people are being paid that & its always been that way & our government has made a safety ladder against companies from taking advantage of them in the past. They should continue to do that. Part of the governments job is to protect its citizens in various ways. This is one of them. The government is failing its people regardless if you or others think they are just too dumb to deserve being helped by the government via a better minimum wage vs allow them to continue to be taken advantage of by businesses.

Comment

I think 12hr is good to make a taco or take a order. Do you guys think that person should make more than that? If so you know who's coming to replace your job.
        If $12/hr is good for among the lowliest of jobs of order taking why not just make that the federal minimum wage & there is no debate to be had?

I don't get the argument from you. No one is making $7 w/e an hour anyway you say. So lets just make the min. wage $12 or w/e an hour cuz no one SHOULD be making under $12 or w/e an hour

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          If $12/hr is good for among the lowliest of jobs of order taking why not just make that the federal minimum wage & there is no debate to be had?

I don't get the argument from you. No one is making $7 w/e an hour anyway you say. So lets just make the min. wage $12 or w/e an hour cuz no one SHOULD be making under $12 or w/e an hour
          Did you miss where I said raise it?

Whats funny is people thinking 15hr should be min wage. Does anyone think companies wont raise prices to pay for this wage? Do they think that all items wont go up? So does your raise go further or did you just raise prices and balance it out to where it was before.

Take a landlord. If you add new taxes does the landlord eat the tax or pass it on to the renter?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

What do you mean nobody should be making $12 an hour? Thats not bad for a job that requires very little skills. I do think they should raise minimum wage to $10....SO WHAT DA FOCK DID U MEAN BY DAT?

Comment

Did you miss where I said raise it?

Whats funny is people thinking 15hr should be min wage. Does anyone think companies wont raise prices to pay for this wage? Do they think that all items wont go up? So does your raise go further or did you just raise prices and balance it out to where it was before.

Take a landlord. If you add new taxes does the landlord eat the tax or pass it on to the renter?
              Nah I didn't see you say raise it outside of your "yay Trump wins if its raised" remark. Fair play then.

In fairness idk what it SHOULD be outside of higher. I've heard $10-$15 enough to know that seems to be the range that its likely to land. Idk if $10, $12.50 or $15 or some number in between is best for some reason or worse for other reasons.

And I don't doubt there are & will be unknown side effects to the change as changes often bring unknown side effects, but idk that we can truly know the severity of them 100% until the change is made. Although I'd agree some consideration should be made to NOT be in a situation where there are more negatives overall with an increase as there our positives overall with an increase.

And the raise the landlord expenses thing is something we are dealing with all the time anyway in all areas of business & is no reason to not raise the min. wage. The min. wage has been raises for damn near a hundred years now. It should continue to be raised as the cost of other things raise.

This whole economy thing is a moving target across the board & the min. wage hasn't been increased as often as it should've been. I'd argue the min. wage should be increased every year or two or until inflation isn't a thing if that ever happens to become the case.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingfan91 View Post
                What do you mean nobody should be making $12 an hour? Thats not bad for a job that requires very little skills. I do think they should raise minimum wage to $10....SO WHAT DA FOCK DID U MEAN BY DAT?
                Dude brought up his local taco bell paying mfers $12/hr for a pretty basic job of order taking & I just ran with that.

Calm down bruh.

Idk what min. wage should be exactly, $10/hr, $12/hr, $15/hr or w/e I just know it needs to be higher. I'm not in the argument of it should DEFINITELY be x/hr. Well I would say it should be $10+/hr doe cuz that seems a similar bump to the last bump in 2009.

Randomly here's a history of the federal min. wage for anyone interested in seeing its progression.

1938 $0.25/hr (in 2019 USD $4.54)
                1939 $0.30/hr (in 2019 USD $5.53)
                1941 $0.40/hr (in 2019 USD $6.97)
                1949 $0.75/hr (in 2019 USD $8.07)
                1956 $1.00/hr (in 2019 USD $9.42)
                1961 $1.15/hr (in 2019 USD $9.85)
                1963 $1.25/hr (in 2019 USD $10.46)
                1967 $1.40/hr (in 2019 USD $10.73)
                1968 $1.60/hr (in 2019 USD $11.77)
                1974 $2.00/hr (in 2019 USD $10.39)
                1975 $2.10/hr (in 2019 USD $10.00)
                1977 $2.30/hr (in 2019 USD $9.72)
                1978 $2.65/hr (in 2019 USD $10.41)
                1979 $2.90/hr (in 2019 USD $10.23)
                1980 $3.10/hr (in 2019 USD $9.63)
                1981 $3.35/hr (in 2019 USD $9.44)
                1990 $3.80/hr (in 2019 USD $7.45)
                1991 $4.25/hr (in 2019 USD $7.99)
                1996 $4.75/hr (in 2019 USD $7.75)
                1997 $5.15/hr (in 2019 USD $8.22)
                2007 $5.85/hr (in 2019 USD $7.23)
                2008 $6.55/hr (in 2019 USD $7.79)
                2009 $7.25/hr (in 2019 USD $8.65)

Comment

How many people do you think make that wage?
                  About 1% and half of them are highschool students or teenagers.

Comment

Minimum wage should be set by the state if its going to be set at all, not the federal government. The cost of living in California is far different than the cost of living in Alabama.

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
                      and congress wants another raise...greedy bastards.
                      potd. Ftp....

Comment

Working...
                      X