Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exposing the double standards, GGG & Ward.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    Well of course it had an effect. But the time difference was obviously the main factor.

Ward did 1.029 vs Rodriguez, not 1.2. And no that's not the same.

Facts right now are that Ward bombed heavily on BET. Despite it being on BET, they still felt it bombed badly!

I never said he was a PPV superstar But he's a much bigger draw than Ward is right now.
    "But if GGG can draw, he should be able to draw"

You factor in things for Golovkin's fight with Murray but you don't factor in that Ward was fighting on BET.

Much bigger draw? Again, his ratings on HBO have not been blowing Ward's away. They've been slightly higher and Ward hasn't even been fighting on the network.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
      If you put it on regular HBO that means 0 profit? Are you an idiot? HBO gets money from it subscribers. PPV is a different form of generating a profit. Using your reasoning, if it got one buy on PPV that would be greater than putting on regular HBO.

Trust me when I say this: Golovkins next fight will not be on PPV unless it is Cotto, Canelo, or Ward.
      Yeah it gets money from subscribers....doesn't mean they have $4 million to spend on one card...

therefore they put it on HBO PPV to generate revenue to pay the fighters..see how that works? I'm the idiot ha?

Comment

• Originally posted by j0zef View Post
        You're confusing quality of opposition with road to stardom. They're completely different things. Ward is an American Olympic medal winner, was a highly ranked SMW and was involved in a Super 6, which made his career. Before the super 6, he was no better than Golovkin.

If there was a MW version of the Super 6, and GGG beat Cotto/Canelo/Lee/Quillin/Lemieux, his popularity would be taking a big dump on Ward's right now.

You can't possibly compare being an American to being from Kazakhstan. Ward stayed in his backyard and fought good competition. Golovkin came from a corrupt nation, moved to germany, had to deal with corrupt promoter (who protected Felix from him), then moved to the US.

In order to generate the same amount of money as Ward got for fighting absolute garbage (Smith), Golovkin fought a current title holder on PPV. Ward has been served his career on a silver platter, Golovkin had to work for every damn thing he earned.

While you're pulling those numbers out of your ass, anything else up there?

Loeffler is on the record saying he hopes for 200k buys.
        A Sports Illustrated article published before the fight pegs the estimate at 150k-200k.
        According to HBO they were projecting over 300,000. It seems Chris Mannix was the only one with realistic expectations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
          "But if GGG can draw, he should be able to draw"

You factor in things for Golovkin's fight with Murray but you don't factor in that Ward was fighting on BET.

Much bigger draw? Again, his ratings on HBO have not been blowing Ward's away. They've been slightly higher and Ward hasn't even been fighting on the network.
          Yeah if GGG could draw he would. Oh wait, he is. Consistently hitting HBO top figures for the past 2-3 years, whilst Ward is... forced to fight on BET in front of his familiy in the audience and friends on TV.

#Superstar

You think his 350k can be excused because of BET? You are living in dreamland if you think so my friend.

Well, despite it being in Monaco and on an afternoon show on HBO and still pulled 3 times the amount Ward did on free cable TV

All down to BET doe

Comment

Yeah if GGG could draw he would. Oh wait, he is. Consistently hitting HBO top figures for the past 2-3 years, whilst Ward is... forced to fight on BET in front of his familiy in the audience and friends on TV.

#Superstar

You think his 350k can be excused because of BET? You are living in dreamland if you think so my friend.

Well, despite it being in Monaco and on an afternoon show on HBO and still pulled 3 times the amount Ward did on free cable TV

All down to BET doe
            But his fight with Murray didn't draw well

You make excuses for that but Ward fighting on BET isn't a factor to lower ratings?

Why do you keep implying that I'm saying Ward is a superstar? I've never said that. Neither of these guys are superstars. You're the only one whose used that term in reference to Golovkin.

Then his PPV tanked and you suddenly "don't care"

Comment

You make excuses for that but Ward fighting on BET isn't a factor to lower ratings?

Why do you keep implying that I'm saying Ward is a superstar? I've never said that. Neither of these guys are superstars. You're the only one whose used that term in reference to Golovkin.

Murray did very well, I think hbos highest rating for a euro afternoon fight. Did much better than Froch Groves 2 at Wembley

http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-murray-title-fight-big-hit-with-home-viewers--87787

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                Murray did very well, I think hbos highest rating for a euro afternoon fight. Did much better than Froch Groves 2 at Wembley

http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-...viewers--87787
                Yeah when you take into account relevant factors such as that it was an afternoon fight held in Europe.

Whereas LacedUp refuses to take in such factors as a fight being shown on BET

Comment

Yeah when you take into account relevant factors such as that it was an afternoon fight held in Europe.

Whereas LacedUp refuses to take in such factors as a fight being shown on BET
                  OK but Bet is basic cable with 3x the reach of HBO. I get its a fringe channel but you'd expect more to tune in for his long awaited comeback, unless people didn't know or care

Comment

Yes it did It was an afternoon show on HBO and peaked at almost 1 million. That's very good.

It's definitely possible it had an impact. Another theory could be that the guy just isn't very popular and since he hadn't fought in 2 years, people totally forgot about him and just don't care.

But your theory sounds better. If people really wanted to watch Andre Ward, they would only do so if it was on HBO. No one wanted to watch it on BET because it's not a boxing channel

Comment

Yes it did It was an afternoon show on HBO and peaked at almost 1 million. That's very good.

It's definitely possible it had an impact. Another theory could be that the guy just isn't very popular and since he hadn't fought in 2 years, people totally forgot about him and just don't care.

But your theory sounds better. If people really wanted to watch Andre Ward, they would only do so if it was on HBO. No one wanted to watch it on BET because it's not a boxing channel
                      He was out a significant length of time before he fought Rodriguez on HBO which did 1.2 million. So how does that help your "theory"?

Mine's not a theory. It's simple logic backed up by data. How much advertising was there for Ward fighting on BET? The average casual fan doesn't sit home on a Saturday and think "Hey I'll check out some boxing, better switch to BET!". It's the same principle as tuning into the Discovery Channel to find ****....although maybe that's what you're into.

I suppose you think Golovkin would do better on a channel like BET? Oh wait....you suddenly "wouldn't care" when the numbers came out just like you about his failed PPV which killed your previous "theory".

Comment

Working...
                      X