No announcement yet.

The great, the greatness, the best fighter of the 90's - Pernell Whitaker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    Chavez was favored, considered the number 1 pound for pound fighter, and only two years older than Whitaker. Don't try to rewrite history for those who know better.

You'll also have a hard time finding any credible person who scored Chavez-Whitaker a draw.
    This guy is talking about Like and his conclusions are all biased.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
      So? Who did he beat in them fights? Toney and B-hop are good wins....any more?
      "good wins" Ok man.

Hill, Toney, Hopkins, Griffin, McCallum, Tarver, Ruiz, Johnson, Trinidad, Pazienza, Woods...

Champion from middleweight to heavyweight, P4P king for almost a decade.

Comment

he did beat oscar

man i miss the 90s...so much better than now

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
          "good wins" Ok man.

Hill, Toney, Hopkins, Griffin, McCallum, Tarver, Ruiz, Johnson, Trinidad, Pazienza, Woods...

Champion from middleweight to heavyweight, P4P king for almost a decade.
          Is that guy someone's alt? He's one of the worst posters around. I just read his post saying Roy Jones, the same one he's down playing in here, whoops Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Pugilist95 View Post
            The great - Ended Chavez unbeaten record.

The greatness - Beat a prime De La Hoya when he was past his prime.

The best fighter of the 90's - What wins did Roy Jones have that were better than a prime Chavez and De La Hoya?
            Cheated with low blows vs Chavez

De La Hoya beat him

Trinidad whipped him

Wilfredo Rivera beat him in the first fight

Andrey Pestryaev also beat him

Hardly the fighter of the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
              Who gives a **** that you "liked" Tito better ...OMG you ****ing moron ...Like doesn't come into it. Pathetic...pathetic children all of you .. Whitaker ****ing easily over Tito and Roy.....little stans who get butthurt when your idols aren't placed at number 1
              Who really sounds like the butthurt one here? Calm down.

Comment

I give Jones jr the edge for the 90's. In terms of overall career it's debatable. It's not a one sided sure thing for Jones jr in the way some people think.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  I give Jones jr the edge for the 90's. In terms of overall career it's debatable. It's not a one sided sure thing for Jones jr in the way some people think.
                  I can't see a clear argument as to how Whitaker is greater than Roy Jones.

Don't get me wrong. Both amazing and ATGs. But I think Roy had the better career and was simply also a little better at his peak.

Comment

Originally posted by Meldrick_ View Post
                    He was far from his prime when he lost to Tito.
                    True. But Tito didn't just edge him out. Tito beat the hell out of him. Trinidad beats prime Whitaker too.

Comment

Whitaker was definitely one of the best of his era but cutting out the 90's only for him I don't think fully amplifies his accomplishments & wouldn't have him in the running for the best fighter of that decade. All I know is on my scorecards Whitaker won every fight til Trinidad. Should be 43-2 instead of 40-4-1. Amazing fighter & I feel under appreciated since he was a under promoted/hyped guy all things considered.

In many ways he's like a quieter more humble Mayweather & I kinda feel Mayweather's career wouldn't have been as big as it ended up being if he had stayed on the quieter more humble path TR was trying to crave out for him. So basically Sweet Pea's career woulda been Pretty Boy's reality if he hadn't become Money.

Comment

Working...
                      X