No announcement yet.

Pugmire: Sources say HBO won't pay for GGG vs. Jacobs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see this fight happening.

I think with HBO's relationship with GGG & PBC's relationship with Jacobs both sides are gonna want more control then the other side is willing to give. Plus a purse bid doesn't seem like it can be a legit purse bid if HBO is unwilling to play along if they were to lose the purse bid.

I also suspect that Jacobs is being more financially responsible for his future if he can fight 2 Mora's instead of 1 GGG for the same money, which may or may not be true idk. I just see the argument that either GGG is being underpaid by HBO or Jacobs is being overpaid by PBC or there is more of a middle ground that will be hard for both sides to agree upon either way.

So yea I don't see this fight happening with those issues...hope I'm wrong cuz it is one of the more interesting fights at 160 since Oscar won't let Canelo come out to play with the big boys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray* View Post
      No it makes sense, HBO should put their monies where their mouth is. They too should make concessions to make the fight. You cannot by byrating fighters to make concessions and then when it comes down to it you the network doesn't want to make none.
      Although I fully understand this sorta opinion & I'd love to see boxing contracts that involve exclusiveness to a network when purse bids get involved voided, what exactly is the upside of HBO taking some sort of altruistic for the greater good of boxing stance & let GGG or any of their contracted fighters work outside of HBO?

HBO signed GGG, Kovalev, Roman, Crawford & Ward & all these top fighters they have cuz they bring value to HBO the company. They don't have some for the good of boxing reasoning for signing these guys. Asking HBO to let GGG go fight on NBC or Showtime after losing a purse bid would be devaluing their own product & isn't a fair expectation to have with how boxing currently works. I mean no one would think it makes sense for some guy to sign a deal to play for the Yankees for 5 years & then try to slip out of his contract to play for some other team 2 or 3 years down the line cuz the Yankees weren't doing as well as the player expected unless the Yankees wanted to let the guy go. This isn't THAT different of a situation.

Comment

• GGG bout to lose his belt because of HBO. Damn shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I don't see this fight happening.

I think with HBO's relationship with GGG & PBC's relationship with Jacobs both sides are gonna want more control then the other side is willing to give. Plus a purse bid doesn't seem like it can be a legit purse bid if HBO is unwilling to play along if they were to lose the purse bid.

I also suspect that Jacobs is being more financially responsible for his future if he can fight 2 Mora's instead of 1 GGG for the same money, which may or may not be true idk. I just see the argument that either GGG is being underpaid by HBO or Jacobs is being overpaid by PBC or there is more of a middle ground that will be hard for both sides to agree upon either way.

So yea I don't see this fight happening with those issues...hope I'm wrong cuz it is one of the more interesting fights at 160 since Oscar won't let Canelo come out to play with the big boys.
          It has to happen

Comment

• Originally posted by 285Kid View Post
            Who did not see that coming , HBO not about to give GGG $4 Million then Jacobs another $3 million for this fight...

WBA better go on and order the fight becuase GGG did not even name Jacobs tonight, Why should he he can't keep that belt the belt he need in on BJS house
            Nothing constructive to say just wanted to acknowledge you for excellent taste In Women and send you some green for the sig. Peace.

Comment

• jacobs??

the guy who got dropped by sergio mora????

if sergio mora dropped him, WTF doyou think GGG is gonna do to him?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                This is why I'm glad the WBA ordered the fight. Now Team GGG has to find a way to get it done or else lose one of his beloved belts.

In all honesty if HBO doesn't want to pay for it then they should get out of the way and let Showtime or PBC televise.
                Word
                10 characters

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  It has to happen

Canelo vs GGG had to happen to. It didn't obviously. HBO will be a problem with a purse bid cuz it'll get to that point almost assuredly. Or maybe Jacobs will just drop the belt if he's being forced into a fight where he's not being paid what he feels he deserves for this fight. One of the other will be the major problem with the fight happening I feel. Again hope I'm wrong, but I think I'm right.

Randomly I'll bet up to 25 quint of my epoints GGG vs Jacobs doesn't happen by Jan. 11 or whatever that 120 day period ends on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daddy T View Post
                    well not necessarily -- as long as they offer jacobs the required percentage of the purse required by the sanctioning body they are fine -- if jacobs refuses to fight then then GGG keeps the belt
                    They have to offer Jacobs the required percentage based on what the winning purse bid amount is.

If Jacobs accepts it then the fight will be put on by whoever won the purse bid.

That's where the sticking point is going to be. If K2 isn't the one who wins the bid then I see HBO telling Golovkin to vacate the belt rather than seeing him fight on another network.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
                      Nothing constructive to say just wanted to acknowledge you for excellent taste In Women and send you some green for the sig. Peace.

Comment

Working...
                      X