No announcement yet.

Prime Margarito would have stopped Thomas Hearns early

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fvanesbeck View Post
    I am of the opinion that Margarito cheated so I feel perfectly justified in discounting his win against Cotto. The fact that he never KO'd another opponent after getting caught says more about it than I ever could. But I don't want to get involved in that debate again.

Cotto's wins over Judah and Mosley alone are better than anything Margarito did at Welterweight. Margarito beat a young Sergio Martinez and has a pair of good wins against Kermit Cintron.

Even if you discard Mosley's second fight against De la Hoya(who incidentally is another fighter with a superior resume at WW to Margarito), then his resume still ****s on Margarito's.

Also, Cotto and Mosley both have wins over Margarito(though Cotto's wasn't technically at WW).
    It's not perfectly justified one bit. Specially since you're displaying double standards in praising someone like Mosley. There is more evidence with Mosley cheating than there is Margarito. It's just that simple, don't be a hypocrite. Either discredit both or give both credit.

Beating Judah isn't anything special. Margarito beat other top 10 guys as well(Clottey and others) and you're forgetting Margarito was young too vs Martinez, if you discredit that fight then you're also discredit Jones' win over Hopkins. Sure he lost to Williams but at least he fought him while others waited for him to vacate his belt to fight for it(Cotto).

Mosley vs DLH 2 was at 154.

Comment

Prime Magarita stops GGG during his ring walk or as he steps under the rope to enter the ring. Vitali rather fight Russia than a prime Magarito.

Comment

Unfortunately, Margarito couldn't take Mosley's punches, and he won't be able to take Hearns's. Hearns was taller also had great boxing skills and it would have been hell for Margs to back him into a corner and land like Hagler did.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic One View Post
          It's not perfectly justified one bit. Specially since you're displaying double standards in praising someone like Mosley. There is more evidence with Mosley cheating than there is Margarito. It's just that simple, don't be a hypocrite. Either discredit both or give both credit.

Beating Judah isn't anything special. Margarito beat other top 10 guys as well(Clottey and others) and you're forgetting Margarito was young too vs Martinez, if you discredit that fight then you're also discredit Jones' win over Hopkins. Sure he lost to Williams but at least he fought him while others waited for him to vacate his belt to fight for it(Cotto).

Mosley vs DLH 2 was at 154.
          Totally forgot that fight was at 154 tbh. If that's the case then why would I discredit Mosley's WW resume? I think Mosley doing EPO is a disgrace but putting plaster in your gloves is much worse. You'll notice that I didn't discredit Margarito's entire resume, just the fights that I feel he cheated in. Same with Mosley, and his resume is vastly superior to Margarito's. I'm not discrediting his win against Martinez either, I'm just saying it's not as good as beating a prime Martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by fvanesbeck View Post
            Totally forgot that fight was at 154 tbh. If that's the case then why would I discredit Mosley's WW resume? I think Mosley doing EPO is a disgrace but putting plaster in your gloves is much worse. You'll notice that I didn't discredit Margarito's entire resume, just the fights that I feel he cheated in. Same with Mosley, and his resume is vastly superior to Margarito's. I'm not discrediting his win against Martinez either, I'm just saying it's not as good as beating a prime Martinez.
            Because he's a cheater? Duh!? Doesn't matter which one is worse, a rapist and a murderer are the same, a "criminal".

You're discrediting it to make your point valid without any proof of it. Till they put NC on any major boxing outlet's database on a Margarito's record with the first Cotto fight, then you have a valid excuse. I can play the same game and discredit a lot of Mosley's fights prior to him admitting doing something illegal.

If Cotto would of stayed longer at WW, I'm sure he would of gotten a better resume than Margs.

Also, Shane Mosley's resume at 147 apart from Oscar isn't that great as you make it out to be.

Comment

Marvin Fagler

Comment

Hearns' rocket of a right hand had nothing on Margarito's chin. Hearns lands it and Margarito would just smile and raise his eyebrows, tucking his gloves under his chin and shouting, "¡PEGAS COMO NIÑA!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kneegel Puto View Post
                  Hearns from 147-160.

Think about it: Hearns was nearly beat to death by light punching Sugar Gay Leonard, then knocked out early against Marvin Fagler. Its already been agreed on this site that Marg would have stopped Fagler in two rounds, so plain and basic common sense says that Marg easily destroys Hearns.

Margarito is one of the most screwed over fighters in history and doesn't get the respect that he deserves.

Magarito is one of the most overrated fighters of the last 10 years. he has never beat an elite fighter. ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
                    Hearns' rocket of a right hand had nothing on Margarito's chin. Hearns lands it and Margarito would just smile and raise his eyebrows, tucking his gloves under his chin and shouting, "¡PEGAS COMO NIÑA!"

the same way he laughed at mosley right hands?

Comment

I actually don't think Margarito cheated prior to the stuff he tried to pull against Shane. I think Cotto would've always had trouble with a fighter like Margarito, who was a bit chinny and seemed to possess stamina problems.

A fighter as tough as Margarito would've always given Cotto trouble.

Comment

Working...
                      X