Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is David Haye Treated Differently By The U.K Becuase He's Black?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Race plays no role.

Saw him on the Paul O Grady show today, was a great show with him on, always interesting to listen to and is getting alot of recognition and deservedly so.

Comment

Skin colour has stopped being a barrier to fame fortune and and respect in the UK, the real barrier is not acting British, sounding British. Thats when the idiotic racists come out of the closets.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivore View Post
        Danny Williams > David Haye

Williams had the courage to fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. He didn't cowardly back out of HIS fight with Vitali.

Danny Williams KO win over the past-prime Mike Tyson is better than Haye's gift decision over the past-prime Valuev.

Tyson > Valuev.
        What will you do when, ok for you i'll say IF, he faces Vitali Klitschko?

I'm serious.

Will you take that comment back even a little?

Will you then accept he's not afraid?

Or will you have the next line of racially influenced hatred to spurt?

Comment

Originally posted by boxasmash View Post
          Haye is loved! No one hates him because of his colour, I can't say that about Amir Khan though!
          yep colour is abit of issue with khan in the UK.

Comment

As far as I know, Hatton is the most appreciated in the UK with Haye right behind him. Calzaghe struggled to get recognition for many years, Froch still hasn't.

I'd say in general being humble and exciting will get you the most fans. See Hatton or in the 1990's Benn and Eubank. Bruno over Lennox Lewis.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisSilver View Post
              He's not less respected than Carl Froch.

Thousands of fans followed him abroad. Carl struggles to get that at home.

**** thread.
              Why is it a **** thread, just becayse you don't like my line of questioning? I have a right to ask peoples opinions based on my observations.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Visitation View Post
                What he said; makes no difference at all. Our two 'best loved' fighters by a mile - although certainly not our best fighters! - are Henry Cooper (white) and Frank Bruno (black).
                I just wanted to add a bit of background to this, to demonstrate how popular Frank was/is :

After Bruno suffered a mental breakdown in 2003, the most popular newspaper in the country ran the front page 'Bonkers Bruno Locked Up'

The public response was so critical, the newspaper had to change the headline for the second edition to a much more respectful 'Sad Bruno in Mental Health Home', insert a description of him being a hero and start a charity fund for people suffering from mental health problems.
                Some members of the public had been ripping the front pages off the first editions while they were still on the shelves.

And this was eight years after his retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by rskumm21 View Post
                  Why is it a **** thread, just becayse you don't like my line of questioning? I have a right to ask peoples opinions based on my observations.
                  You needn't have queried the race card period, and your doing so without merit. As if your queries weren't already addressed by several other posters, I'll dissect your original thread starting post;

I notice he gets a lot of love from U.K. fans, but seems to get just as much, if not more hate.
                  Do you mean he gets as much or more hate from the UK? That's without merit, where is this hate? Boxing forums always have a mixture of stuff and a lot of hate sometimes especially for a plainer performance. But the majority worldwide, colour, country, whatever, think he's a positive thing for the HW division.

Guys like Carl Froch and Ricky Hatton are more respected than he is, yet they are all on the same level as far as boxing skills. I can see maybe why Hatton is more loved because he's a bit more humble, but Froch talks even more trash than Haye and somehow gets more props.
                  Ricky Hatton has been and still is really, one of the most popular boxers in Britain for a long time, because of his grass roots, community, public persona. He still mixes with ordinary people with a big personality, doing all kinds of charity, PR, comedy gigs. Someone like that is always going to be tremendously popular.

Carl Froch isn't quite the same, I wouldn't say he gets more props from the Brits but less because he attacks his own, like Khan and Calzaghe. So what made you think this I don't know, Haye will continue to become more and more popular as-well.

Neither Froch or Hatton really have particularly better skills either. Haye is much more athletically gifted and versatile than either of them.

I always got the impression that there was less racism toward blacks in the U.K. than there is in the states. Is this true? Is Haye judged on a different set of standards because of the color of his skin?
                  Based on my comments above there simply seems to be no credible argument to you entering the race card here whatsoever, and it seems you've done so out of mis-interpretations, and naivety.

Have your own little mind wanderings, talk with friends and family to get these little curiosity things straightened out. Because a few days after a sporting win where most are being positive on both athletes, to get all racial is just unfounded and a bit lame. That my friend, is why this is a bit of a **** thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivore View Post
                    He's treated BETTER because he's black, and even more so by the American sportswriters.

Ruslan Chagaev defeated a younger Valuev more convincingly, yet the sportswriters didn't give him much respect.
                    thats a ridiculous thing too say
                    when racism rears its ugly head in boxing its in a negative way and something we are all aware of,but the fact that you bring race up at every opportunity is really uncalled for-and says a lot about you as a person

Comment

I notice he gets a lot of love from U.K. fans, but seems to get just as much, if not more hate. Guys like Carl Froch and Ricky Hatton are more respected than he is, yet they are all on the same level as far as boxing skills. I can see maybe why Hatton is more loved because he's a bit more humble, but Froch talks even more trash than Haye and somehow gets more props. I always got the impression that there was less racism toward blacks in the U.K. than there is in the states. Is this true? Is Haye judged on a different set of standards because of the color of his skin?
                      They loved Frank Bruno, so I don't think that is the case

Comment

Working...
                      X