No announcement yet.

Rigondeaux is on the slide

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Basco View Post
    I agree with this assessment however, I don't like how he reacts when he gets hit. I am not sure if he is stunned or just plating mind games with his opponent trying to let him know he is not hurt. I have seen him stick his head out there when hurt and drop his hands time after time. So far he has gotten away with it. Not sure what to think.
    Yeah he is definitely easily stunned. He has recovered pretty quick so far though.

I think he likes to reestablish control very quickly after being hit or hurt. He did it time after time in the Donaire fight where Donaire would land a shot and Rigo would come right back to land his own as quickly as possible. The putting his hands down and sticking his chin out is probably a part of that.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      Freddie Roach said those comments about 5 years back when Rigo was still young and more fresher.
      If Loma is too win it will be a combination of skill and size. A lot think Rigo's style is all kinds of wrong for Lomachenko I feel it could well be the opposite especially a Rigo at an advanced age.
      If he can't command Lomachenko's respect and control the range and tempo, he losses that fight.

I don't care who you are, how good you are, how much you look after yourself, 400 amateur fights are going to take their tole. He is 35, that is old, very old for a SBW who relies heavily on reflexes.

Its not just Amagasa's size or the knockdowns that bother me, I think Rigo looked quite poor by his standards. He looked a lot slower, his punches didn't seem to have the same snap (could put it somewhat down to Amagasa's size).

I don't like this more flat-footed, static look either.
      What happened to all that side-to-side movement? I can not shake that performance or that training video I seen. The video was in prep for that Asian dude he two-pieced, you can't take anything from that fight it was so short.

Even in sparring he is seemingly getting hit more and more;

we can see things in a round of sparring.

it's tough to "tell" anything about a fighter from a single round of sparring. he may have been trying to work on countering right hands, for example. he'd be getting close and trying to get his guy to throw the right hand.

i do think rigondeaux looked a bit aged agaisnt the japanese fella.

after 400 amateur fights, a tiny little dude like that is going to be on the physical downslide in his 30's. it's just he way it is.

rigondeaux may also be older than he says he is. lots of the best cuban baseball players are a heck of a lot older than they report, for example. it raises their stock in their youth to appear to be talented beyond their years.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        we can see things in a round of sparring.

it's tough to "tell" anything about a fighter from a single round of sparring. he may have been trying to work on countering right hands, for example. he'd be getting close and trying to get his guy to throw the right hand.

i do think rigondeaux looked a bit aged agaisnt the japanese fella.

after 400 amateur fights, a tiny little dude like that is going to be on the physical downslide in his 30's. it's just he way it is.

rigondeaux may also be older than he says he is. lots of the best cuban baseball players are a heck of a lot older than they report, for example. it raises their stock in their youth to appear to be talented beyond their years.
        That happened with El Duque Hernandez and Contreras, after that the Cuban government started to release the real age of deserting players, so they couldn't get the 'big" money, you can trace back Rigondeaux age and it is the real one, what I think is that he needs motivation, that is all...

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          Beaten around the ring?
          this guy thinks that a kd is a beating...

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
            The guy I seen vs Amagasa, Idc about his size, that guy was merely a shell of what he was before.
            Where the hell have his feints gone? Where is that footwork? Why is he becoming more and more upright?

He is starting to look more and more like a good yet pretty bog standard Lara.
            Probably he was not motivated enough to prepare properly for that fight. I think we should wait for his next fight with a big name and then make such conclusions.

Comment

That guy Amagasa he last fought is 5'11" for f's sake and he was stopped by the smaller, much, much shorter Rigondeaux. Do you know how tall is Rigondeaux? He's 5'4". That's like a child vs a man, and the child won. Look how he left his face too. Amagasa came in to the ring at 145lbs also, Rigo came in the 120s. Dropping Rigo twice was the least he could do with that massive height/weight/reach advantage as well having good power. Put Rigo in vs someone his size in a fair match and watch him put on a great performance.

Comment

Originally posted by BendOver View Post
                That happened with El Duque Hernandez and Contreras, after that the Cuban government started to release the real age of deserting players, so they couldn't get the 'big" money, you can trace back Rigondeaux age and it is the real one, what I think is that he needs motivation, that is all...

yup...i have a feeling Puig is late 20s

Comment

6 and a half inch height disadvantage, 20lb weight disadvantage, 3 inch reach disadvantage. Rigondeaux wins by TKO. "Rigo not the same, he's declining."

To put it into perspective, do you guys realize that Rigondeaux fought a Welterweight while being a Featherweight, and knocked him out? And for his battle scars, he was merely knocked down two times over 11 rounds with that relative giant.

Let's say you are not impressed because Amagasa is a C level fighter, can you picture any other top 10 P4P fighter knocking out a C level fighter who is 6 inches taller, 20lbs heavier on fight night, and has at least 3 inches on reach? Name the boxer, and name the C level fighter with similar physical attributes that he can KO.

Comment

Working...
                  X