No announcement yet.

Just started boxing.. Cant sleep ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started boxing.. Cant sleep ?

Hi so Ive just started boxing on monday and wednesday evenings.

My problem is is that before i started, I was working out in the mornings(weight lifting, running) and since working out at night, I have trouble sleeping at night. I usually eat some peanut butter before i head off and eat dinner after I come back from boxing. On my non-gym days, should I also workout in the night or continue to workout in the mornings ?

Also, what kind of exercises should I do at home ? I heard lifting weights and boxing isn't such a good idea. So it looks like i have to almost completely revamping my workout routine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

As you start to learn the right technique your workouts will pick up probably if ur really going for it. Then you'll sleep like a baby.

Comment

Reminds me of the joke...
      Patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this...".
      Doctor replies, "Then don't do that."

If it's causing you a problem, then just go back to mornings. Our metabolisms can change a lot based on our exercise routines. Personally, I sleep even better after I workout. But you have to go with what works for you.

About weight lifting, my advice is to go for higher rep exercises and don't ever push it if you feel any kind of awkward pain. Region being, boxing consists of very explosive movements and, if you have a partially inured tendon or muscle, you can really mess it up in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
        Reminds me of the joke...
        Patient says, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this...".
        Doctor replies, "Then don't do that."

If it's causing you a problem, then just go back to mornings. Our metabolisms can change a lot based on our exercise routines. Personally, I sleep even better after I workout. But you have to go with what works for you.

About weight lifting, my advice is to go for higher rep exercises and don't ever push it if you feel any kind of awkward pain. Region being, boxing consists of very explosive movements and, if you have a partially inured tendon or muscle, you can really mess it up in boxing.
        I can only speak from experience (and admittedly, I don't have a whole lot of that), but I find it's best to mix it up with regards to rep numbers.

If you're doing squats for example, doing five reps of more or less your max really helps with generating a bit more power. If you're working on muscular endurance then more reps is obviously better, but I prefer going heavy on the compound movements.

What 3-5 reps of a high weight is great for developing is your CNS (central nervous system). As your body adapts to using heavy weights, you will begin to recruit more muscle fibres when using your muscles, essentially increasing your strength without gaining any mass. You'll also experience myofibrillar hypertrophy (the useful kind), which will account for some muscle growth, but not a lot. Basically, fewer reps result in increased power/strength with minimal mass gain. You'll want to be lifting about 80% of your 1RM (1 rep max) with these.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, you have exercises whereby you're doing 13+ reps, which generally doesn't do much for mass or strength, but it really works wonders for muscular endurance. Look to be lifting 60% of your 1RM.

Midrange (6-12) generally results in a combination of myofibrillar and sarcoplastic hypertrophy. Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is bad bad bad for boxing. It essentially builds needlessly big muscles filled with sarcoplasmic fluid. These are "beach muscles", and don't do much other than look pretty. If you're going for a combination of mass and strength, you should look to do between 6 and 8 reps of about 75% your 1RM. If you're after pure size, then you should probably quit boxing and take up bodybuilding.

It's important to note that rep ranges and their effects are not simply cut and dry, it's more of a continuum.
        Last edited by as646; 04-05-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X