• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The SouthPaw Thread

anything southpaw realted goes in here!

any fellow southpaw on this forum??

discuss......

I can switch southpaw and feel comfortable throwing the jab and right hook but not the straight left. It feels weird. I only do it when i show off against someone who is nowhere near my level. My trainer has taught me alot of good tips to neutralise southpaws. There are many but I will highlight one particular fave of mine.

I step to their right and try finding the side of the head with the jab to line up the right hand for the chin. If you're aiming there you are more likely to nail 'em with a right. Alot of people aim their jab at the southpaws chin or face as they would do with an orthodox fighter and end up missing with the right (it's easier for them to dodge) , or landing at an awkward incorrect and/or ineffective angle. If you jab to side of their head, and land right hand to side of their chin, you are the one giving them the difficult and awkward angles!!! Southpaws do this to orthodox fighters without even knowing it.

I am lucky to have a decent southpaw to spar with. If you do not, then find one before it is too late. With southpaws only practice and learning from mistakes in training will help you to find them less awkward, and more of a peice of cake!
    Last edited by JulioCesaChavez; 11-19-2008, 08:52 PM.

Comment

i can't stand sparring southpaws. all i do is constantly touch their right glove with my left and look for a right hand

Comment

Originally posted by peewee1460 View Post
        i can't stand sparring southpaws. all i do is constantly touch their right glove with my left and look for a right hand
        You can do that too, as PBF explains in that vid but remember you put yourself in their range too! Use your left jab instead of touching them. Find the right side of their head instead of their right hand. Then nail in the same right cross. You have two scoring shots for the price of one! it is the same principle but worked differently.

The right uppercut works well v southpaws too. remember to circle to the left far enough so you do not get nailed by their right hook! I like to circle them out to the left, and when I am far enough to their right just step in unload and get back out! I also use to be lioke you and hated sparring southpaws, but then I realised I need to figurer the ****s out incase I get nailed in a fight with multiple left hands. This is what a good southpwa will do to you. I'm happy it only happened in gym and I got my revenge!

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
          I can switch southpaw and feel comfortable throwing the jab and right hook but not the straight left. It feels weird. I only do it when i show off against someone who is nowhere near my level. My trainer has taught me alot of good tips to neutralise southpaws. There are many but I will highlight one particular fave of mine.

I step to the right and try finding the side of the head with the jab to line up the right hand for the chin. If you're aiming there you aremore likely to nail 'em with a right. Alot of people aim their jab at the southpaws chin or face as they would do with an orthodox fighter and end up missing with the right (it's easier for them to dodge) , or landing at an awkward incorrect and/or ineffective angle. If you jab to side of their head, and land right hand to side of their chin, you are the one giving them the difficult and awkward angles!!! Southpaws do this to orthodox fighters without even knowing it.

I am lucky to have a decent southpaw to spar with. If you do not, then find one before it is too late. With southpaws only practice and learning from mistakes in training will help you to find them less awkward, and more of a peice of cake!
          but my doing that technique aren't you steping toward there strong hand if there a natural lefty

Comment

Originally posted by venerablefist View Post
            but my doing that technique aren't you steping toward there strong hand if there a natural lefty
            How? If you go to your left then you are going away from their left hand. Not THEIR left! if you step that way then yeah you will be getting nailed with their left for fun. Go to their right, and your left. But make sure you are outside or you will go to their right hook, as some southpwas do have a good right hook which they use when people simply circle left but neglect proximity. In and out, go to your left and you will be OK.

Comment

my trainer taught me to do the what we call the "chris byrd slap". which is pretty much swat down his left jab with my right jab and immediately touch him in his face. scores points and drives my sparring partner nuts lol

Comment

Originally posted by el guason456 View Post
                my trainer taught me to do the what we call the "chris byrd slap". which is pretty much swat down his left jab with my right jab and immediately touch him in his face. scores points and drives my sparring partner nuts lol
                You can do that in reverse too, orthodox >>>> southpaw. Alot of fighters get confused by southpaws just like your sparring partner! Even good fighters. I find swithcing southpaw just for a while can throw them off guard too. Southpaws don't even like southpaws!

Comment

Originally posted by el guason456 View Post
                  What your trainer has you doing is the best thing to do when they are jabbing at you. I would recommend you work on a good up jab too because when they stop jabbing and they usually do, you have to be able to snake your jab up and inside their left hand.

South paws with a good jab are deadly. For most orthodox fighters it is almost impossible to jab effectively with a southpaw because the jab they need to use is something they were never taught.

Comment

I'm a soutpaw myself, technically i'm a natural right hander but i have been fighting from the southpaw stance since i started going to boxing gyms in my teens.

Funny enough i don't like sparring other southpaws, it just feels so awkward, cause i can't work around the jab as easily. The only other southpaw i can spar at my gym tells me the same thing, he hates sparring me.

Comment

Working...
                    X