Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a dual core pc run a gtx295 on it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a dual core pc run a gtx295 on it?

I looked on youtube and googled it and I don't know one single person who has a gtx 295 or 285 gtx card on a dual core pc. I only see ppl having those kind of video cards on a quad-core. I've seen people with the gtx260 on a dual core though, and I think some ppl even have a gtx275 on a dual core... Hmmm... What is up with that?

It doesn't matter. you could have a celeron or a sempron processor, or any other single core processor and all this will run any top of the line nvidia cards. What matters is your PCI slot, preferably 2.0 to avoid bottlenecks, 6 pin atx connector, good power supply (600w or above) and a big enough pc case because the size of the card is humongous. And there's a lot of people I know who run this card on dual core processor, and it runs great. However, to get the most out of this expensive ass cards, most pc enthusiasts pairs this card to a quad core proc, mainly the newer ones like the i7 or any amd equivalent like the phenom XII quads.

Comment

Originally posted by delipooke View Post
      It doesn't matter. you could have a celeron or a sempron processor, or any other single core processor and all this will run any top of the line nvidia cards. What matters is your PCI slot, preferably 2.0 to avoid bottlenecks, 6 pin atx connector, good power supply (600w or above) and a big enough pc case because the size of the card is humongous. And there's a lot of people I know who run this card on dual core processor, and it runs great. However, to get the most out of this expensive ass cards, most pc enthusiasts pairs this card to a quad core proc, mainly the newer ones like the i7 or any amd equivalent like the phenom XII quads.
      yes i agree but wont the dual-core it self with the system be a bottle-neck for the card..?????? hence why they are paired with quad-core+ systems

Comment

Waste of money buying an expensive card if your CPU will bottleneck it. Well i think its a waste of money anyway, why spend all that money on a card thats going to be half the price in a few months? The cost is not worth a few extra blades of grass on a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Söze View Post
          Waste of money buying an expensive card if your CPU will bottleneck it. Well i think its a waste of money anyway, why spend all that money on a card thats going to be half the price in a few months? The cost is not worth a few extra blades of grass on a game.
          True that. ATI has just released the new dx 11 cards yesterday. Expect this expensive cards to half their price in a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by !! 2Tough !! View Post
            yes i agree but wont the dual-core it self with the system be a bottle-neck for the card..?????? hence why they are paired with quad-core+ systems
            That was what I was trying to say. Its a little bit silly pairing a top of the line card with dual core procs because bottlenecks would be a big issue and the prices of quads getting cheaper nowadays.......

Comment

Bottlenecking is overrated, people said my old amd athlon 3500 was bottlenecking my 8800gts 320mb card. And I don't know what they meant by that since I was able to run it on my old monitor at 1600x resolution like on any of the games back then. So, if bottlenecking is so bad how come I didn't notice any bad performances from the current pc games back then with it?

Comment

Originally posted by CastorTroy View Post
                Bottlenecking is overrated, people said my old amd athlon 3500 was bottlenecking my 8800gts 320mb card. And I don't know what they meant by that since I was able to run it on my old monitor at 1600x resolution like on any of the games back then. So, if bottlenecking is so bad how come I didn't notice any bad performances from the current pc games back then with it?
                Bottlenecking is when one part holds back anothers performance, every Pc has got a bottleneck. It can be the graphics card or the processor. If you had a better processor the card might of ran the games at a higher resolution but then the card would become the bottleneck and hold back the processors performance. The key is to get a good balance so neither the processor or the graphics card peformace is greatly affected by the bottleneck.
                Last edited by $partacus; 09-23-2009, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Söze View Post
                  Bottlenecking is when one part holds back anothers performance, every Pc has got a bottleneck. It can be the graphics card or the processor. If you had a better processor the card might of ran the games at a higher resolution but then the card would become the bottleneck and hold back the processors performance. The key is to get a good balance so neither the processor or the graphics card peformace is greatly affected by the bottleneck.
                  My processor has had no problems running any game at 1920x resolution, so i don't know how it would be bottlenecking to use it with a gtx295.

Comment

Originally posted by CastorTroy View Post
                    My processor has had no problems running any game at 1920x resolution, so i don't know how it would be bottlenecking to use it with a gtx295.
                    It's not that you'll have problems playing games at that resolution. The bottlenecking is when the CPU is not on par with the GPU because the data isn't being sent as quickly as the video card can process. You won't be using the expensive video card to it's full potential, meaning the price-for-performance becomes even more lopsided. It's an okay card. If I could spend money like that, I'd get 2 of them or 3 GTX 285's.
                    Last edited by Little Mac; 09-23-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X