No announcement yet.

Ward/Kovalev and the sad Reality of the State of Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeonSpinxMwfpce View Post
    Once the fans started spouting off daily, "boxing is a business" while defending ducking and cherry picking, promoters basically said "**** it, lets just take them for every penny they have while putting our names in the easiest fights possible".
    I think you're definitely onto something here. When fans tolerate anything, they'll get anything.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      This is a fight between arguably 2 of the best 5 fighters our sport has to offer. Normally when this happens, the fight is a box office smash. Leonard/Duran, Chavez/Whitaker, Oscar/Trinidad, Mayweather/Pacquiao. Arenas are packed and millions are watching. It's a good time to celebrate boxing.

In this case, the fan interest will not match the magnitude of the fight.

1. The promoters suck and have no experience staging fights of this magnitude.

2. Neither fighter is a superstar and generate average to below average ratings on HBO.

3. The fight will be on ppv which will limit the audience to only 150-200k

4. The fight will be in Vegas and apparently mgm already plans on buying tickets and handing them out to high rollers because they know this fight won't sell on it's own

Which means you aren't getting good seats if you decide to go.

5. Neither guy can sell unless he's in his hometown

So what we have, is a rare instance, where the best fight in boxing will not be in a packed, sold out arena with millions watching worldwide. The audience will be limited to a couple hundred thousand hardcore fans and Vegas high rollers. The promotion will be an embarrassment and the fight will likely be lackluster.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for this fight. But unfortunately, these two great fighters will be displaying their talents in front of a limited audience and will likely see little increase in their star power.
      ***** please, this aint no rare instance

Comment

Working...
      X