No announcement yet.

Circling?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circling?

Sorry for the stupid threads I'm just trying to find advice from other boxers. When I was sparring yesterday, my coach told me to circle the ring more. When I circle to my right (orthodox) it feels very unnatural and I cannot throw my jab or any punches that way. But the left I can throw hooks, jabs and set up more. So my question is:
    Is circling only to find angles to attack from, or should you be able to throw punches while circling, and how would you use circling to set up combinations?
    How much do you circle your opponent? Is there a time to circle?
    Last edited by Tariq☆233; 06-20-2018, 04:17 PM.

Originally posted by Tariq☆233 View Post
    Sorry for the stupid threads I'm just trying to find advice from other boxers. When I was sparring yesterday, my coach told me to circle the ring more. When I circle to my right (orthodox) it feels very unnatural and I cannot throw my jab or any punches that way. But the left I can throw hooks, jabs and set up more. So my question is:
    Is circling only to find angles to attack from, or should you be able to throw punches while circling, and how would you use circling to set up combinations?
    Circling is a good way to keep distance from your opponent. You should be able to throw a jab or a right cross when moving to the right. circling to the left is best against southpaws, and circling right is usually better against orthodox fighters (away from the strong hand that will usually be loaded up).

I'd recommend practicing a duck/roll into the movement either left or right.

It can also be used for finding angles to attack from but usually that is more horizontal movement and less of circling (which is generally to keep distance). A pivot is a good way to get an angle to set up a combination, but you'd usually be on the inside when pivoting (unless you are on the outside and an opponent is coming toward you, in which case, a pivot would also be a good way to create an angle)

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
      Circling is a good way to keep distance from your opponent. You should be able to throw a jab or a right cross when moving to the right. circling to the left is best against southpaws, and circling right is usually better against orthodox fighters (away from the strong hand that will usually be loaded up).

I'd recommend practicing a duck/roll into the movement either left or right.

It can also be used for finding angles to attack from but usually that is more horizontal movement and less of circling (which is generally to keep distance). A pivot is a good way to get an angle to set up a combination, but you'd usually be on the inside when pivoting (unless you are on the outside and an opponent is coming toward you, in which case, a pivot would also be a good way to create an angle)
      Should you throw the jab cross first then circle, circle first then throw it or throw the punches as you circle?
      Last edited by Tariq☆233; 06-20-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Should you throw the jab cross first then circle, circle first then throw it or throw the punches as you circle?

I mean it would be situational. If I was inside I'd throw the jab cross, then duck out to the left or right (generally to the right after throwing the cross as its a little more natural but can mix it up) and from that duck go into circling (if you needed space). You can also mix in punches while you circle.

A good way to practice is to make a square with tape. Throw a jab when moving to the left and a cross when moving to the right. You can throw a jab to go forward or backwards (I wouldn't normally recommend throwing a cross to move backwards but it is do-able). Each time you punch your lead foot should move into a different squad.

Comment

I used to continually circle the ring and my opponent. With feints thrown in with some good head movement you can fight when you decide it's good for you to fight, other wise keep right on walking the ring. Yes, it feels abnormal to work towards your right. Never abandon your jab just because you are moving to your right. Make it work for you. Throw hooks off of that jab while rolling to your right. If it lands just make sure to bring a right hand right behind it. Just make it work for you. And do what ya gotta do.….Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
            I used to continually circle the ring and my opponent. With feints thrown in with some good head movement you can fight when you decide it's good for you to fight, other wise keep right on walking the ring. Yes, it feels abnormal to work towards your right. Never abandon your jab just because you are moving to your right. Make it work for you. Throw hooks off of that jab while rolling to your right. If it lands just make sure to bring a right hand right behind it. Just make it work for you. And do what ya gotta do.….Rockin'
            Break it down Rockin!

Comment

Thank you so much for the advice I learned alot I learned that boxing is just natural your body naturally coordinates your footwork I had a good sparring session just now 😀

Comment

Throw it while circling. Just work your feet and hands in rhythm. You can throw a punch with each foot movement. Coordinate your feet/hands. Throw a one-two. Throw one step with your left foot. Throw two and bring your foot up in to place. Throw a hook in to the combo and step again with your left, etc. Your punch lands simaltaniously as your foot lands. Work in unison....Rockin'

Comment

Throw it while circling. Just work your feet and hands in rhythm. You can throw a punch with each foot movement. Coordinate your feet/hands. Throw a one-two. Throw one step with your left foot. Throw two and bring your foot up in to place. Throw a hook in to the combo and step again with your left, etc. Your punch lands simaltaniously as your foot lands. Work in unison....Rockin'
                  I think he needs to hire you as a trainer. This kid will win a belt and you wont get your percentage.

Comment

Working...
                  X