No announcement yet.

Do you stretch.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you stretch.

Greetings. I often skip stretching after finishing an active activity whether it be running, cycling, etc. How often do you all stretch and if so how long do you hold your stretch.

Originally posted by DONTRAY View Post
    Greetings. I often skip stretching after finishing an active activity whether it be running, cycling, etc. How often do you all stretch and if so how long do you hold your stretch.
    When i was younger I never stretched. Now that im in my mid thirties i do especially my calves.

Techically you should stretch after you do about an 8min warm up.

Comment

The two main types of stretching are ballistic and static stretches.

Static stretches are probably the most prominent stretches people are familiar with etc

If you want to improve your flexibility static stretches are the best. I typically would stretch before exercise and after exercise 'That is just something I have always done' and they where predominately static stretches.

Ballistic stretches, are movements 'Stretches that involve movements, like leg swings and swirling your hips' which is also something I would do, but typically not big on ballistic stretches 'They are very popular in athletics' always bothered me the amount of time some athletes took during their warm up.

Comment

How long do you hold your stretch.

Comment

30 seconds to 60 seconds.
          You really feel your muscle stretch the longer you hold until you reach a perceived maximum which in my personal experience starts from 30 seconds onwards.

Also always stretch. Never skip it.
          I normally do 2-3 stretching sessions each week that last 15-20 minutes. Especially your hip flexors and chest, shoulders are important.
          They get very tight from sitting all day(hip) and boxing which has predominently your triceps and chest muscles ( or pushing muscles) involved.

You really do feel so tight after not stretching for 2 weeks and that tightness reduves your performance and increases injury.

Comment

Since I started stretching I've suffered less injuries.

Comment

Well when I ran cross country and track in high school I always used to spend about 20 minutes on various stretches before running but never after. I don't know if what I was doing would be considered "proper" by today's standards but it worked for me. I won my share and even set my school's course record in cross country and I never suffered any serious injuries. I got shin splints once but that was from running too many miles on hard surfaces and not from improper stretching

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Fanciannanit View Post
                  That's about how much I do as well

Comment

Yeah, especially now that I am getting older. I'll do some sun salutations at the end of workouts when the muscles are warm.

I'm also messing around with foam rolling.

Comment

Working...
                    X