Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. in history

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floyd does make opponents fight at his pace, and that proves he has loads of great ring generalship. He has lost some of this since jumping up in weight, however, and those of us who have watched him for most of his career have noticed this.

Floyd has excellent hand speed, as well as decent accuracy. He also possesses evasiveness and swift ring movement. These skills allowed Mayweather to counter-punch effectively and score in bursts against his slower opponents. Since becoming one of the top fighters in the world, he has allowed these skills to fade in favor of forcing a stale, one-punch-at-a-time fight. Those of us who have watched him have noticed this.

Against De La Hoya, there would not have been a fight if Oscar hadn't pressed Mayweather from time to time.

Mayweather was absolutely dominant at the lower weight classes, and he probably would have developed a greater legacy if he chose to defend his belt a hundred times as opposed to skipping around. Now he has no choice but to fight against big name opponents, even if they are beyond their prime or in retirement. This creates a false sense of greatness, meaning he has to continue to fight after his desired declaration of retirement in order to build up "proof" that he is great. Had he stayed at a lower weight class and continued to dominate, I don't think that anyone would question his greatness.

It's also going to be more difficult for him to fall back down in weight, as was the case with Roy Jones Jr. after coming back down from heavyweight: he was never the same again.

I guess what I'm saying is, he may have actually hurt his legacy by jumping up in weight to fight De La Hoya, when there was plenty of good competition for him to potentially dominate for years to come, even if the names weren't technically as big. Now he will participate in a bunch of lackluster fights against post or near-retirement opponents, simply because they are big names.

P.S. Simply "calling out" a fighter's name during a press-conference does not mean that Mayweather was actually calling them out. He does like to talk after all.

P.P.S. I personally think Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a great pound-for-pound fighter; perhaps top 25 all-time; so don't assume I'm hating. I happen to find some of his earlier fights to be masterpieces, just not in the same way that other people do. (ie: not doing anything doesn't automatically indicate a defensive "master)

Comment

BRASSANGEL:

GOOD POST

I would like to add to the Oscar vs. Floyd fight: When Floyd attacked (and this was before Oscar got tired), he stopped Oscar in his track, but then went back to punching one at a time; it would not be until Oscar got tired that he started to mix it up again. This is not how Mayweather used to fight: he used to break you down by constant counter punching (in bunches), then by the late rounds, try to finish you off.

Maybe Floyd has become to worried about being tagged and maybe he is becoming over-protective of his "legacy" or "O."

This is a thread I posted (with video evidence) of how Floyd used to fight. It would be a shame to continue to fight the way he currently fights because he has a better chance of losing. He is to reluctant to go to the cards and to do just enough to get by.

Although I do wonder if he fought someone with less of a punch, like Hatton, if he woud not turn it back up like he did to Gatti.

Floyd's not getting any younger and we all know what can happen to the majority of athletes once you hit 30.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=119396
      Last edited by Benny Leonard; 05-14-2007, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Good videos.

I think fighting guys who are naturally 15+ pounds heavier than he [Floyd] is plays a factor as well. It's probably slightly unnerving to mix it up with guys who are going to be, on average, more powerful than you are in nearly every fight. Also, his opponents' reach will typically be greater, and Floyd himself has to punch upwards.

On a side note: This is actually one aspect of the Fight Night 3 game that was remotely accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassangel View Post
          By now, most of you are aware that Floyd Mayweather Jr. won a close [split] decision over Oscar De La Hoya. It was a pretty exciting match, though a lot of Floyd's punches hit De La Hoya's gloves until the late rounds when he (Oscar) got tired. Even so, this fight may do well for boxing, given its current state.

My main question is, where do you place Floyd Mayweather Jr. on your all-time pound-4-pound list? No era-favorites, please; just hard, critical analysis.

Do you believe his declaration of retirement after the fight?

Are there still too many good fighters for him to leave the sport?

Has he accomplished "enough"?
          - -Heh, heh, earliest and last impressions are typically the strongest, ie:

Floydy cowering on the ropes paralyzed.

Oscar doing his patented swoon late, not a great fight.

Floydy walking out of the rematch saying he was a billionaire and wouldn't work for HBO/Oscar slave wages anymore before crawling back on his hands and knees.

Oscar in fishnets.

Manny!

Comment

He shall be known by the cherries he picked.

Comment

Working...
            X