Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crawford vs. Spence is only a huge fight for hardcores it wont do big numbers on PPV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree. Great fight. But not a great PPV sellable fight to casuals, where the money is, quite yet. And thats what BOTH sides want is that sexy casual fan PPV money hence why the fight ain't happening & isn't gonna happen til it can do a nice PPV number that both sides see as a W.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      Maybe.

Terence Crawford just lost money on his second attempt at PPV. With Pacquiao on the other side, I don't see much that Top Rank can do with what they have left to try and make Crawford bigger.

Errol Spence Jr just had a PPV with Mikey Garcia that made money, is set for a PPV against Shawn Porter that should also make money, has another possible moneymaker with Danny Garcia, and might be on the cusp of a 1m PPV buys event with Manny Pacquiao for the WBC/WBA/IBF 147lb titles (if the way everything is tracking holds).

Beyond that, Bob Arum is demanding 50% and joint production on Crawford's behalf.

In what world is 50% of a joint-production fight with Top Rank going to out-value even Spence-TBA, if Spence simply handles his business? Especially if Top Rank chooses to no longer lose money with Crawford on PPV and simply keeps him on ESPN/ESPN+?

Spence wins out (Porter, Pacquiao, Danny/mandatory) making money the whole way, and Spence-Crawford stands as a 70/30 Spence split on FOX PPV.

Think Arum goes for it
      ?
      Zero chance Arum goes for it because he will demand a joint PPV. 60/40 maybe 65/35 is fair to me if Spence wins out, but Arum is desperate to keep ESPN involved.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
        It could absolutely do 400-500k buys, I mean Spence vs Garcia almost did 400k buys.

If Spence does 350k buys vs Porter and wins? Shoot, he could ask for like 65/35 and it would be fair. But 60/40 is probably closer to what it will end up at.
        That’s because of Mikey being Mexican.

Crawford Spence does 250K ppv sales TOPS.
        They’re both overrated.

Comment

This is the Harsh Reality! I like both fighters actually but if they was to do it right now, that fight would FLOP HARD and people would lose money. I think Spence Jr does have the right path which is basically to Unify His Side then go for Crawford

Boxing FANS have a Immaturity Issue! By that I mean that fans are too caught up into labeling fighters Ducks, Afraid or whatever when I don't think that is the case at all with any of these guys. Things have to make Sense and Cents to do a fight and rightfully so since it is a dangerous sport. I do feel like Spence Jr vs Crawford should happen IF they're the last 2 Standing after having fought all of these guys and I think that is both of their mentalities but the way things are set up at the moment, only Spence Jr will be able to do that

I've been posting forum repeatedly that PBC should indeed send guys over because what is does is that it helps build up their potential match up. They sent Crawford both John Molina and Felix Diaz before at 140. I see no reason why Danny Garcia, Ugas or Lipinets can't go over for a 1 Off and fight Crawford for now.

HOWEVER, it can't be just PBC sending guys over and nothing coming back to them. People have to send over fighters to them too if they're open to it. If I send you Wilder to fight Fury for the rematch, wouldn't it be only right and FAIR to send over Crawford to PBC to do the Spence Jr fight? It should be more BARTERING in boxing, that is not to treat fighters like Property or anything like that, of course they would have to agree to do it

Spence Jr is on the right path and thanks to Fox he is building his Profile RAPIDLY. Crawford however seems to be a bit STUCK and no I don't blame Arum I blame HIM, he is not very approachable at all when it comes to Boxing Media and Fans. You seen that after the Ramirez vs Mo Hooker fighter the difference and the reason why Spence Jr Popularity is trending upward while Crawford is trending DOWN
          Last edited by sicko; 08-02-2019, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
            It won’t do big numbers because there’s no Mexican fighter involved. It’s a great fight and I hope it happens though.
            This is the unspoken truth about Boxing. Boxing has deep roots in Mexican culture and there is a huge boxing circuit in Mexico where the sport is regularly on TV and being talked about on sports shows. Mexicans buy PPV'S and throw carne asada parties on fight nights.

Comment

Crawford and Spence are overrated and neither are exciting fighters. That’s why numbers will be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmore18 View Post
                Zero chance Arum goes for it because he will demand a joint PPV. 60/40 maybe 65/35 is fair to me if Spence wins out, but Arum is desperate to keep ESPN involved.
                Terence Crawford is not a PPV fighter; blame it on whomever or whatever you want, the guy can't return a profitable PPV event, and Bob Arum has very little that he can do to turn Crawford into a profitable PPV fighter.

Errol Spence Jr is on his way to PPV stardom; with the Mikey Garcia fight making money, the coming Porter fight likely making money, the Pacquiao PPV after that, and Danny Garcia still being a name fighter at the weight (with Keith Thurman being viable, along with the avenue to move up in weight for big fights at 154lbs and 160lbs), Spence-TBA is basically a profitable PPV if he sweeps the next 3.

If Bob Arum continues to insist on joint PPV and 60/40 (when his fighter is a money-loser on PPV), then the fight likely goes the way of Bowe-Lewis.

Spence stands as the unified WBC/WBA/IBF 147lb champion, moves up to fight the likely unified WBC/WBA/IBF 154lb champion, and potentially rule there until DAZN makes an offer he can't refuse, or Alvarez possibly fights out the DAZN deal and returns to PPV (Spence Jr is 29, and Alvarez just turned 29; at the end of Alvarez's deal, both will at worse be 32 years old, older but nowhere near done fighters).

Terence Crawford is almost 32 right now, with nothing good on the horizon right now otherwise, lol.

Arum can play chicken if he wants

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Agree. Great fight. But not a great PPV sellable fight to casuals, where the money is, quite yet. And thats what BOTH sides want is that sexy casual fan PPV money hence why the fight ain't happening & isn't gonna happen til it can do a nice PPV number that both sides see as a W.
                  Spence Jr is on his way to that PPV money without Crawford, and folks need to understand that

Comment

The most entertaining way to build two great fighters of a generation is to get them to fight a trilogy.

Leonard Duran 2 was bigger than the first one.

Comment

Working...
                    X