No announcement yet.

How Much Do You Respect Holyfield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GOD-FR33 View Post
    Hopkins is next to be Ko'ed. He's too old to be in a boxing ring. As soon as he fights a REAL fighter, he's getting stopped. This is why he made it very clear that he doesn't want any part of Andre Ward.
    and Kovalev and Stevenson. Hopkins was scared of Dawson's left, imagine vs those guys? It'd be a monster win

Comment

Exactly. I said this some weeks back about the Toney fight. EH would've beaten Toney's fat ass into a stoppage in his PRIME or even the Holyfield that fought Tyson and Moore 2. People say the dumbest **** on here but supposedly knows boxing. Nobody his size or smaller beats him. He would've been too strong for Toney like he was for Tyson, Cooper, Qwali, and Moore. He was OLD against Ruiz 1, 2, 3, Larry Donald, Chris Byrd, The Russian he fought, etc. None of those fights meant anything. Holy was stubborn and OLD. If anyone thinks any of those fighters beat him because they were better, is STUPID.
      When he fought Valuev he clearly won that one. It was a fight that was so lazy on the russians part that Holyfield only did what he had to and clearly outscored him.

Which I dont understand how such a big man like that didnt want to come out to fight, especially 'a old tired man'.

That judging at the end was a good example why nobody respects boxing anymore.
      Last edited by Layzie Kidd; 03-17-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Layzie Kidd View Post
        Now, theres no question in my mind Holyfield was the number one heavyweight of the 90s and has a good resume. However the trend now is to rag on him for butting and it seems thats getting tossed around more than ever now.

Thats not to say the other fighters have not resulted to dirty tactics themselves, how many times has Tyson hit after the bell or when an oppenent was practically down? Tons (before anyone brings him up).

However some of the really obvious butts (Michael Dokes for example, upon the knockout when he chased him) and the fact it gets mentioned a lot of times especially in his later fights makes me wish they hadnt happened so he looks better.

Do you think theyre always intentional? Am I seeing things? Or is it on average with the dirty tactics you've seen others pull off at the time? I respect him as the premier 90s heavy and working his way up, but some things makes me wince.
        Steroid cheat. Dishonest. Holyfield had many marvelous and entertaining fights but he was juiced to the gills.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
          why wasn't roy jones a cash cow, dude was #1 p4p for along time?
          Because Roy took no big fights or challenges during his prime run.. He had one big fight with toney but then fought Paz, Sosa, Byrd, Brannon, Lucas, ancient mccallum, old hill, del Valle,Frazier, telesco, Otis, etc

Oscar's stay busy tune ups were yory boy, gatti, mayorga, Carr.. Oscar has probably the best list of opponents ever

Roy never took any fights that excited the masses.. The toney fight put him on the path to stardom, but Roy never followed up and went a decade till he fought another with Ruiz..
          That's why Roy never reached e stardom that oscar, manny, Floyd, Holyfield achieved

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Because Roy took no big fights or challenges during his prime run.. He had one big fight with toney but then fought Paz, Sosa, Byrd, Brannon, Lucas, ancient mccallum, old hill, del Valle,Frazier, telesco, Otis, etc

Oscar's stay busy tune ups were yory boy, gatti, mayorga, Carr.. Oscar has probably the best list of opponents ever

Roy never took any fights that excited the masses.. The toney fight put him on the path to stardom, but Roy never followed up and went a decade till he fought another with Ruiz..
            That's why Roy never reached e stardom that oscar, manny, Floyd, Holyfield achieved

So roy was the 4th biggest star in boxing behind tyson, holyfield, and oscar?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post

I see you're point but don't underestimate Roy jones fame. In Australia he is as well known or more so than the dudes you mentioned

Comment

Hopkins is next to be Ko'ed. He's too old to be in a boxing ring. As soon as he fights a REAL fighter, he's getting stopped. This is why he made it very clear that he doesn't want any part of Andre Ward.
                That's why he won't fight another real fighter, but carefully matched up against guys he'll have a good shot to beat to keep his marketability high. Hopkins is one of my favorites though. Hopefully he retires just before or when he turns 50. I believe Holmes was 52 when he had his last fight and Duran was 50 and Holyfield just shy of 50 in his last contest.

Comment

• Originally posted by One more round View Post
                  I see you're point but don't underestimate Roy jones fame. In Australia he is as well known or more so than the dudes you mentioned
                  I guess that's why most of his fights these days are overseas.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrRolltide91 View Post
                    So roy was the 4th biggest star in boxing behind tyson, holyfield, and oscar?
                    At the time from 94-2003. Tyson, Holyfield, oscar were much bigger draws, and even Chavez sr.. Then probably Roy, but by 2000 I think Tito Trinidad became a bigger draw..

Originally posted by One more round View Post
                    The thing that stands out for Roy is that his PPv numbers were very low considering his talent and "superstar" credentials

His biggest fights vs toney, Ruiz tarver,,, none did big numbers.. Serg-Chavez jr, cotto fights, Barrera-morales all did better numbers, and Roy's numbers are nothing compared to those generated by Tyson, Holyfield, Lennox, cotto, manny, Floyd, oscar...

Comment

• HE has mine poor guy got his ear biten off for gosh sakes.

Comment

Working...
                      X