Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bernard Hopkins Greater Than Sandy Saddler?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crisp Jab View Post
    Age should NEVER determine a prime. Wilfred Bentiez was shot by the age of 26. So I really don't see the point of bringing a fighters age up when talking about ''prime's''. And Pep was past prime, but he was that good even when past prime he could still defeat world class fighters.

I can imagine you mean Saddler was Super Featherweight Champion not Jr Welterweight (Which he never was). And at the time that division didn't mean all that much.

I agree Saddler did have alot of great wins and some impressive feats. But I still feel him & Hopkins aint really that much apart in terms of greatness. And a argument can be made vice vesa for either.

I find Hopkins record very impressive.
    When do you consider Mr. Peps prime then, as he was on a 26 fight winning streak (post crash) Before losing to Mr. Saddler.

Yes, that was a typo. Fair enough the division didn't mean a hellish lot but, it's still a championship in a second division. But, he did defend it against future Lightweight champ Lauro Salas and decent fighter Diego Sosa.

I never said it was leaps apart I just said it was "decisive" meaning it's clear. I'm sure I have Hopkins nearly breaking into my Top 50 and Saddler around 35ish on my P4P list.

Also Saddler routinely fought Lightweights weighing in at the Jr. Lightweight limit, which only adds to his resume.

I also agree Hopkins has quite a career with all those defences of his major IBF title(although failing to unify until late hurts him but, he still got a good 6 or so defences of his Undisputed crown.).His Middleweight competition isn't astounding but, his defences are. Winning the LHW Ring belt is an impressive feat considering the straight jump from MW. Then his domination of the Lineal LHW champ is a great win for him as well. Especially as he broke the previous record.

Comment

Saddler quite clearly for me.

Comment

No he isnt imo

Comment

Saddler was from many decades ago, which automatically puts him above Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by boxkickboxmma View Post
            Please construct some sort of arguement instead of admitting defeat

Comment

Stop moaning, if you disagree argue your points for Hopkins.

Comment

LOL what are you guys getting mad for? Where has the sense of humor gone in here.

Comment

LOL what are you guys getting mad for? Where has the sense of humor gone in here.
                  So do you think Hopkins is greater than Saddler?

Comment

Yes but I'm not gonna get indepth because I honestly don't know enough about Saddler. How high is he generally ranked by historians?

I do wanna say that I get the feeling that people seem to underrate Hopkins a bit. The guy truly deserves to be ranked high now with what he has accomlpished. Just to name a few things, he's now the oldest champion ever, he has the middleweight title defense record, all but one of his losses were close/controversial fights, can't say enough about his longetivity and consistency and skill. And perhaps most notable thing, he has a lot of memorable fights where he performed like a true all time great.

Comment

Yes but I'm not gonna get indepth because I honestly don't know enough about Saddler. How high is he generally ranked by historians?

I do wanna say that I get the feeling that people seem to underrate Hopkins a bit. The guy truly deserves to be ranked high now with what he has accomlpished. Just to name a few things, he's now the oldest champion ever, he has the middleweight title defense record, all but one of his losses were close/controversial fights, can't say enough about his longetivity and consistency and skill. And perhaps most notable thing, he has a lot of memorable fights where he performed like a true all time great.
                      I agree that some people underrate Hopkins,he has achieved a lot and all at what is considered old for a boxer,give him ten years and im sure people will look back on him more fondly than they think of him now

That said,their is absolutely no shame in not being greater than Sandy Saddler,who was one hell of a fighter and makes Hopkins look like a saint with his dirty tactics

Comment

Working...
                      X