Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters - what work do you do to support your training?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters - what work do you do to support your training?

I'm not stalking anyone, just asking about how life is with training and working to support your training. I work a 9 to 5:30 desk job and want to compete in kickboxing/thai boxing. Just wondering and curious about people's experience as a fighter while working. How much does your training effect your work and vice versa? Do you go to work bruised up and get weird stares?

Just share some experiences, because right now I feel as though my life feels empty just going to work and nothing else.

I'm a student at the moment, so I'm at school from about 8:30am until 3pm on average, although sometimes i can leave earlier at like 1:30pm depending on if I have a free period.

I'm in my second last year of school, and assessment is pretty full on, especially since I do a tertiary package and want to go to uni. But it isn't too difficult to balance with training, (I train 5-6 days per week, sometimes twice a day if I'm preparing for something)

Comment

im a 3rd year commerce student and a bartender at night 3/4 nights a week, i still find time to run 5 times a week in the morning and train every afternoon 6 days a week xD

Comment

school 9 - 3, train after

Comment

So the thread starter is thinking of being a competitve amateur fighter or pro fighter while working ?

I think it's possible to do both, but, it's alot of work. Now, if you were just thinkin' of working and boxing for recreation, then that's not difficult at all since you have a desk job.

Comment

Originally posted by King of Sting View Post
            So the thread starter is thinking of being a competitve amateur fighter or pro fighter while working ?

I THINK IT IS POSSIBLE TO DO BOTH, but, it's alot of work. Now, if you were just thinkin' of working and boxing for recreation, then that's not difficult at all since you have a desk job.
            it is very possible, 3/4 proffesional boxers work second jobs to support their lifestyle since at the beginning and through-out the rankings the pay is'nt very high in boxing unless you have a promoter made of gold and diamonds or are an olympic champion.

Comment

Originally posted by King of Sting View Post

I think it's possible to do both, but, it's alot of work. Now, if you were just thinkin' of working and boxing for recreation, then that's not difficult at all since you have a desk job.
              Well recreation as in non-competing? Yeah I train Muay Thai 2 to 3 times a week anyways. But is there such a thing as recreation competing? BTW, I can't seem to find amateur kickboxing tourneys here in Sydney.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearless View Post
                Well recreation as in non-competing? Yeah I train Muay Thai 2 to 3 times a week anyways. But is there such a thing as recreation competing? BTW, I can't seem to find amateur kickboxing tourneys here in Sydney.
                Recreation competing? lol.........sparring?

Comment

^ Yeah maybe... then acting like you can beat everyone on the streets because you did some light sparring...

Comment

Originally posted by Fearless View Post
                    ^ Yeah maybe... then acting like you can beat everyone on the streets because you did some light sparring...
                    Dude.. I know muay thai gyms that hold "Smokers"...which is basically an in-house exhibition match.

Ask your coach, maybe your gym does something like that. You don't face anyone outside of your gym..and its basically controlled sparring but set up like an actual competition. I know some gyms that invite their friends and family to watch their kids go at it or whoever.

But to be honest, if I were doing boxing or kickboxing as a recreational sport, sparring would be good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X