Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should boxing allow the use of certain PED's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should boxing allow the use of certain PED's?

Wouldn't it be easier if board of controls allowed boxers to take PED's that don't cause too much damage to thier heart, lungs, etc.

-Allowing certain PED's would create a level playing field.

-Boxers would be able to heal quicker and therefore fight more often.

-Boxers careers would be extended, so we would get to see the likes of Mayweather, Pacquiao, Mosley etc for longer.

-PED's bring the best out of athletes, and with Boxing being a spectator sport, that is what the audience wants to see.

-The health concerns of Peds don't match the more negative effects of being punched in the head repeatedly.

Hi Povetkin! Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Actually I think PED's should be available to all boxers, did you see how Povetkin beat Duhapas while using PED's

Comment

No......boxing is on a fundamental level has always prided itself on being a honorable sport! making Performance enhancing drugs legal in this sport, totally destroys its honor! (People look up to athletes because they show you not what the human body can achieve, but sometimes what the human spirit and will can achieve).

Steroid abusers are the weakest "Willed" of all men.

Comment

How about the health risks associated with being punched in the head repeatedly by an athlete on PED?

Comment

"I have no doubt in mind, and I've this before publicly, do I believe he has been doing stuff in the Philippines the answer is yes." -Conte (Rogan interview on PAC and PEDs in the UFC)

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post

Comment

If the fighters wana allow it in there fight why not, they should ask each other if they want to cheat or allow cheating

Comment

Originally posted by Mirko Troll Cop View Post

Comment

I think the banned substance list is a flawed list from the start so I definitely would like to see that list altered & punishments structured with the severity of the banned substances taken into account more. There is a huge difference between a PED & a banned substance (my allergy medicine & DHEA which you can buy at Walmart for $5.99 will get you suspended for a year or longer), but testing for a banned substance is a threat to your career & livelihood,

As for some of the stuff you brought up.

Originally posted by Boxtime View Post
                    Wouldn't it be easier if board of controls allowed boxers to take PED's that don't cause too much damage to thier heart, lungs, etc.
                    Idk about all that. There are all kinds of PED's & banned substances & its hard to understand the long term damage they could be doing to you. I mean aspirin is f#cking up your liver if you take too many of them & most people see aspirin as one of the most harmless & most taken medications.

-Allowing certain PED's would create a level playing field.
                    This is bs. There is no such thing as a level playing field with or without PED's. We might be created equal, & even thats bs after a month in the womb probably despite it sounding like a nice idea/concept, but things quickly change & there will always be edges gained by the competitive people who work harder or take certain risks, legal or illegal & are molded through tough competition in their formative years.

-Boxers would be able to heal quicker and therefore fight more often.
                    This is legit. Mark Cuban is doing or about to do a study into HGH's impact with recovery. I think this is something that will be used in the future as it benefits all parties by allowing athletes to compete more often & limits the time out with an injury. The athlete, the money guys pushing the athlete & the fans all benefit from faster recovery.

-Boxers careers would be extended, so we would get to see the likes of Mayweather, Pacquiao, Mosley etc for longer.
                    I don't disagree with this per se. But I do think the bigger problem for boxing specifically is that there isn't a competitive quality control that insures the best are fighting the best often enough to get the old guys needing to prove themselves as often as other sports so I'd argue boxers are already around too long now.

For exaple In the NFL an extremely respectful career can last only 10-12 years. There are only so many top spots in the NFL & you gotta continually prove yourself & there is always someone younger, faster, tougher, smarter, etc & so on giving you a challenge. Youth tends to beat older eventually in that battle & boxing doesn't really have that.

-PED's bring the best out of athletes, and with Boxing being a spectator sport, that is what the audience wants to see.
                    Completely on board with this & this is reallllllly the bottom line. Athletes wanna be the best they can, or the most competitive & successful tend to feel that way. Fans wanna see the best possible sporting events that can be made. And the Leagues & TV behind the athletes wanna get people tuning in to watch these athletes compete. I think few among those 3 groups give a f#ck about PED's reallllllllly.

-The health concerns of Peds don't match the more negative effects of being punched in the head repeatedly.
                    Solid point. Some are talking about safety from heart, liver or whatever problems 15-25 years in the future with PED's when you could die from the sporting event you're involved in. Plus there is 15-25 year, or sooner, in the future damage being done to your brain in training & on fight night already.

Comment

Working...
                    X