Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any experience with a person with drug,alcohol,or depression issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others correctly point out, said person has to actually really want to change his style. Until this moment, not much you can do other than be a 'friend'. Everybody is an individual story, but as others also point out, try direct him towards something/someone that means something to him in life, as a motive to change behavior. If he's determined to self destruct, probably there isn't much you can do anyway. We all have choices, at the end of the day.

Comment

He's just weak.. I personally have an unforgiving view towards addicts/"weak" individuals, but not to say the world would be better off with out him bluntly... he needs to see his life from a 3rd person (looking down) perspective and assess every aspect of it.
      Realize the situation and work towards minor, overall improvements.

It's all mental. Everything you ever do, no matter how much physical, is all mental.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
        One of my long time friends is basically spiraling out of control with drugs,drinking,and depression. How do you go about helping this person? His parents are both dead and he doesn't speak to his brother so I think I'm probably the closest person he has. It's just a sad situation really.

He's going to ****ing die if he doesn't get help and sober up.
        Sounds like a lot of people I know.
        He needs a reason to keep going. You may be that reason.
        Make yourself that reason.

Comment

Give me his address so I can bish slap him for being a beta

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
              I don't really go much anymore.
              That's ok.

Just keep in mind sobering him up is not the answer. Most addicts are running to these substances because they have a pain or inadequacy they are trying to escape. They are not capable of living "normal" It is too mundane and unsatisfying. They have a soul sickness, a degradation of the mentality and the spirit. As long as that remains, sobering up will only ever be temporary.

To climb out of such a desolate circumstance, he needs God..sure. But God uses even those who would not be used or know not they are being used to do His work. God is love, you see. So if you show your friend love, you are bringing a small ray of God's light into his life, and yours as well. Whether that grows or fester and fades, I cannot say....but the Kingdom of Heaven is a small mustard seed, and whether it flourishes within someone depends upon which ground it is cast.

Comment

First and foremost your friend needs to sober up. Drugs and alcohol only exacerbate depression and feelings of suicide.

Comment

Yeah I've been there. As have many people I know.

These are complex issues. But at the end of the day change must come from the person themselves. All you can do as an outsider is be supportive emotionally but don't be an enabler (letting him borrow money, your car etc)

Comment

Try get him to
                    Go for a run, to the gym, boxing if you do that, eat some good food and just chill out and have a chat...

Tell it to him bluntly that his life is gonna keep going down if he continues this stuff. He already knows this but u gotta say it

Comment

Depression is one thing, but addiction combined with drug usage is another.

Most people with depression just need a shoulder and comfort, usually their depression is stemmed from being unappreciated, hurt, or loss of loved one or job and failure.

But when people get addicted to drugs that is the most difficult to help, its pretty impossible to help a drug user. I never used drugs myself, well i used to drink and smoked cigars before, but never felt anything when i would drink alot, i saw all the kids getting wasted saying it was fun, drank a lot didnt like the taste forced myself several times to get wasted didnt feel anything except hungover.

People who use drugs like that are weak minded or they cant feel emotions and are trying to feel a euphoria feeling that they cant feel normally, oscar de la hoya uses drugs because he is probably hiding in the closet and refuse to get out and it takes the pain away temporarily.

The only way to help and addict is an intervention and deep rehab, they basically need to hit rock bottom and turn on their own and have the mental fortitude to find a healthy vice. Very few addicts stay sober for long periods of time.

Comment

Working...
                      X