No announcement yet.

Top rank sues yuriorkis gamboa; blames unidentified "poachers"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top rank sues yuriorkis gamboa; blames unidentified "poachers"

Claiming it invested millions of dollars in the career of Yuriorkis Gamboa, boxing promoter Top Rank, Inc. sued the Cuban featherweight in federal court for breach of an agreement to face lightweight Brandon Rios on April 14th. A key allegation, that if true, would be very damaging to Gamboa, is Top Rank's claim to have made an advance payment to Gamboa when he agreed to the fight. Top Rank believes that after Gamboa took the advance, he was convinced by another promoter-- or multiple promoters-- to pull out of the Rios bout. However Top Rank's court filing did not name the alleged culprit(s). The complaint coyly alleged, "Why Gamboa decided to breach his contracts with Top Rank is irrelevant. Breach of contract does not require a bad intent. However, upon information, Top Rank believes one or more rival boxing promotion companies and unknown individuals associated with them are at the root of Gamboa's wrongful conduct. These 'poachers' see what everyone sees-- a gifted boxer platformed by Top Rank for superstardom-- and they want to unfairly capitalize on what Top Rank orchestrated and built. Upon information and belief, the rival promoters and others promised Gamboa that if he breaches his contract with Top Rank, they will promote his fights."

b o x i n g t a l k dot c o m

what gamboa took an up front advance fee but decided to not fight and not give back the money?

lmao this man is a fool

Comment

oh gamboa...

Comment

What's wrong with this kid? I bet you he had people in his ear telling him all kinds of things saying he wasn't getting paid enough, that they are trying to destroy his career...

Damn I wanted to see this fight!!!

Comment

I want to see that justice is done. If Gamboa is in the wrong, then he needs to pay. I just hope that Yuri is right.

Comment

saw this one coming

didn't know about the advance tho...Gamboa's throwing his career away

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              I want to see that justice is done. If Gamboa is in the wrong, then he needs to pay. I just hope that Yuri is right.
              i'm sorry,But if gamboa signed a shltty deal with top rank,Thats his
              problem.My money is on toprank to win this suit.Gamboa turned down
              1,2 million bucks to fight rios

Comment

Comment

Oh well. I kept reading the speculation that it was about money but still havent heard anything about it being for more money.

How can they sue Gamboa if he himself is claiming he never signed a contract. We will see i guess

Comment

Don't know how many defense lawyers would take Gamboa's case pro bono. Innocence is a hard case to prove on this one. I see jail sentence coming and a life of misery and pain. Oh well...

Comment

Working...
                    X