Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has a better resume, Sugar Ray Leonard or Floyd Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/1982/05/10/sp...e-surgery.html

You can keep ignoring facts. You just discredit yourself to everyone else with an ounce of sense.

When a quick google and confirm Leonard's detached retina and two eye surgeries.

Or did he just retire for 3 years of his prime to get at hagler? Yeah... thats the best ducking strategy I have ever heard of...

Make lots of money fighting other fighters, or retire for 3 years for health reasons.... And then fight an active Hagler coming off a 3 year layoff...

Hrmmm....

Yeah Leonard was ducking him.

No, not really. That was a very ballsy move from him.

And seriously. How are you defending Floyd and calling Leonard a ducker?
    This is innacurate. Its widely known that Sugar Ray was alright to fight. I seen the proof with 78********* posted the article, and I cant find it right now.

But that doesnt matter to me, this is a greatly known fact that SRL ducked Hagler. Hagler confirmed, everyone in boxing knows this.

In fact your credibility is questioned, just to even argue it, when SRL was known for ducking and dodging and cherrypicking everyone at the right time. When He seen that Hagler had aged, didnt he say "I can finally beat him"?!?

And not only that but you ignored EVERYTHING ELSE I said.

Im defending Floyd because THEIR IS NO SUCH THING AS FLOYD "DUCKING, CHERRYPICKING ETC"

Do you not understand that? It flatout doesnt exist, based on simple facts. This all CAME FROM SUGAR RAY. Its only ETHICAL to defend Floyd, if he is fighting men that are waaay too big for him, beyond his natural weight class, no matter their age, size, youth, or his age. He faces ANYONE.

Its NOT RIGHT, that because Sugar Ray did all this scary mess, Floyd has to pay for it. You sound delusional.

"How are you defending Floyd and calling Leanard a ducker"

Nickah, because its WRONG to call yourself a boxing fan, while this man accomplished all this, fought all these guys, and was spectacular, but since Ray is a throwback fighter, that makes it right to take all the mess he did, and condemn Floyd for it?

Your INSANE. SRL, at the same circumstantial disadvantages as Floyd, would NEVER EVER face the same opponents. He isnt even built like that, and we already know that, but we worship his hoe azz, and criticize Floyd, who was a much greater champion and contributed much more to the sport, and accomplished much more.

You should be banned from the sport, you idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
      This is innacurate. Its widely known that Sugar Ray was alright to fight. I seen the proof with 78********* posted the article, and I cant find it right now.

But that doesnt matter to me, this is a greatly known fact that SRL ducked Hagler. Hagler confirmed, everyone in boxing knows this.

In fact your credibility is questioned, just to even argue it, when SRL was known for ducking and dodging and cherrypicking everyone at the right time. When He seen that Hagler had aged, didnt he say "I can finally beat him"?!?

And not only that but you ignored EVERYTHING ELSE I said.

Im defending Floyd because THEIR IS NO SUCH THING AS FLOYD "DUCKING, CHERRYPICKING ETC"

Do you not understand that? It flatout doesnt exist, based on simple facts. This all CAME FROM SUGAR RAY. Its only ETHICAL to defend Floyd, if he is fighting men that are waaay too big for him, beyond his natural weight class, no matter their age, size, youth, or his age. He faces ANYONE.

Its NOT RIGHT, that because Sugar Ray did all this scary mess, Floyd has to pay for it. You sound delusional.

"How are you defending Floyd and calling Leanard a ducker"

Nickah, because its WRONG to call yourself a boxing fan, while this man accomplished all this, fought all these guys, and was spectacular, but since Ray is a throwback fighter, that makes it right to take all the mess he did, and condemn Floyd for it?

Your INSANE. SRL, at the same circumstantial disadvantages as Floyd, would NEVER EVER face the same opponents. He isnt even built like that, and we already know that, but we worship his hoe azz, and criticize Floyd, who was a much greater champion and contributed much more to the sport, and accomplished much more.

You should be banned from the sport, you idiot.
      So you are saying "I can't find the proof for what I am saying, but the New York Times is wrong and not credible, or any other publication that covered the very public surgeries."

Okay buddy.

You are kinda funny in a guy that just got tipped over in a wheel chair kinda way.

Comment

145-146 143-144 142-146 in a 15 round fight for a natural 135lber against one of the consensus best Middleweights of all time, and you dont consider that almost pulling it off?

And 71 fights into ANY career is a lot of ring wear, and 1980 when 30 was considered old for fighters at the weight, yes Duran was old.

Consider Benitez was shot by the time he was 26. SRL himself was shot beyond recognition at 34.

People like you look back with rose tinted glasses thinking that circumstances were the same. 30 in 1980 is like 35 for a fighter today.
        No I don't because I've actually seen the fight and it wasn't close at all. Citing the judges (poor) cards doesn't mean anything.

Benitez and Leonard are irrelevant. Every fighter ages differently and your logic that people aged quicker in 1980 is absolutely mind boggling albeit hilarious.

If 30 is 35 in 1980 then what is 30 in 1970? 40? 1960? 50? How does it work does it go up in 5's? 10's? I guess those fighters in the 1930's were fighting at a real age of 97 Joker.

Anyway back to reality, Duran was not old in 1980. Prime? Maybe not. Old? No. Ridiculous statment.
        Last edited by IronDanHamza; 01-29-2017, 02:01 AM.

Comment

So you are saying "I can't find the proof for what I am saying, but the New York Times is wrong and not credible, or any other publication that covered the very public surgeries."

Okay buddy.

You are kinda funny in a guy that just got tipped over in a wheel chair kinda way.
          This comment responded to NOTHING I said. You already know the facts, so why take one thing that I said and respond to that, when you already know what happened?

That isnt true that SRL flatout said "I can beat him now"? Lol

Besides that, Hagler is just one of the many opponents that SRL fought at the right time.

How about you go back and respond to the entire comment. Stop cherrypicking and choosing, Ray! Hahaha

Comment

• SRL has a short but sweet resume. Between the two he has the best top 3 names. Floyd has Pacquiao who is an ATG, then he has a guy who's in the making right now, Canelo, the jury is still out on his career.

Floyd's resume stands out due to longevity. SRL's resume stands out due to several ATG's he beat, and several other good fighters. No matter what you think of Floyd's resume, he fought some of the best fighters of his time, in or around his weight class when they were highly ranked and at, or close to the peak of their popularity. Pacquiao, DLH, Cotto, Canelo, Castillo, Hatton, Hernandez, Corrales, Mosley, Maidana, Marquez, Gatti.

Some fans are quick to point out who they think Floyd ducked, but fail to mention the times Floyd was ducked. Both prime DLH and prime Mosley ducked Mayweather for being a Top Rank fighter. This was a very hot topic, but let's face it, at least in hindsight people need to see that the 2010-2012 May vs Pac negotiations could've easily been finished if Pac had initially just accepted random drug testing, which today gets more and more common with fighters signing up for year-round testing and lots of fighters actually getting caught due to these tests. May vs Cotto/Margarito also didn't happen because of the same reason DLH/Mosley didn't want to fight Mayweather in the early 2000s.

tl;dr: SRL has the better names, FMJ has the longer career and underrated resume that will grow with time. Winner: SRL.

Comment

• It's not even close to try and compare their resume of past opponents.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                No I don't because I've actually seen the fight and it wasn't close at all. Citing the judges (poor) cards doesn't mean anything.

Benitez and Leonard are irrelevant. Every fighter ages differently and your logic that people aged quicker in 1980 is absolutely mind boggling albeit funny.

Duran was not old in 1980. Prime? Maybe not. Old? No. Ridiculous statment.
                No, my logic is that fighters were much more active in the 80's and as we know ring wear plays a much bigger part in a fighters "aging" than their actual age does.

Look at tonight, they talk about Vargas being ring worn after two wars. Do you know how how much punishment Duran took in over 70 fights before fighting Leonard?

And its not like Duran build up a record fighting bums. He won the light weight title in his 28th fight, and had already established himself as one of the greatest lightweights of all time by the time he jumped up to fight Leonard.

Just incase you can't count (Im pretty sure you cant). That is 40 fights between winning the lightweight title, and facing Leonard.

Lets put that in perspective. Floyd only had 31 fights between when he won his first title, and retiring.

Now, I understand that you are unable to accept any accomplishments by any fights not named Floyd Mayweather, but I'll just put that information out there incase you suddenly become capable of logical thinking of any kind.

Incase you missed it (since im sure you only watched 3 rounds of the fight to say you did).

Hagler came on strong early, but gassed around the 11th, and had swelling around his left eye, at which point Duran strung together rounds.

You can watch it again if you want. I doubt you will though, because facts confuse you.

Also incase you didn't know. Duran was the first challenger to take Hagler the distance in a title fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                  This comment responded to NOTHING I said. You already know the facts, so why take one thing that I said and respond to that, when you already know what happened?

That isnt true that SRL flatout said "I can beat him now"? Lol

Besides that, Hagler is just one of the many opponents that SRL fought at the right time.

How about you go back and respond to the entire comment. Stop cherrypicking and choosing, Ray! Hahaha
                  Because he fought Benitez, Hearns, Duran at the right time right? Cherry picked the hell out of those guys.

You just cant accept that those 3 fights alone are better than Floyds entire career.

Comment

• I think as time passes people will gain more respect for Mayweather for holding 5 titles in 2 weight classes plus lineal in each after beating Pacquiao. WBA, WBC, WBO, RING, TBRB, lineal Welterweight plus WBA, WBC, RING, TBRB, lineal Junior Middleweight. That's 11 simultaneous distinctions. GOAT?

Comment

• how many quality names are on benitez ledger ?

Comment

Working...
                      X