Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting in the ring, 90% mental/10% physical?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
    Everything that your mind conjurs up to do in a ring will require an able body to pull off any of the precise actions.

The body becomes fatigued and the mind begins to cloud and becomes disorientated, but your body carries on.

Know there was time spent in the ring that I don't remember, I drove myself home and went to bed. The only way that I knew that I drove myself home was when I got out of my bed to find the morning sun shining off of my car in the parking lot. I had no memory of the drive home nor did I have memories of the sparring the night before, it's all a black out.

As I put my running shoes on for my morning run I still couldn't find the lost time. I do recall Johnny being pleased with the work some how, even though I couldn't recall 1 second of the sparring. I stretch myself as I think, I must have been running on auto pilot during the sparring. Generally when that happened it was always told to me that I was extremely aggressive in the warring. I found that when hurt I fought back, hard, trying to inflict double the damage that my opponent may have put on me.

I don't know what happened through that time. I would find it hard to imagine that I was "thinking" during that lost time in the ring. There are plenty of times when thinking just isn't an option in the ring, you just gotta fight/react............Rockin'
    You probably suffered a severe concussion....

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
      You probably suffered a severe concussion....
      yup, part of the game, and that's not even mentioning the cases of whiplash among other things. noway is boxing only 10% physical.......Rockin'

Comment

i think teddy atlas said something like 70% of boxing is HALF mental and the remaining 30% all physical...

yes, a big aspect of boxing is mental, but i feel like the sport is definitely a bit more physical than mental.

Comment

I am an extremely smart/tactical boxer. I am a student of the game and I have superior mental power.

I also have had 3 major knee surgeries the past 3 years and have osteoarthritis.

I can safely say that boxing is much more physical than mental...

Comment

think it's a very bland statement in general. hopefully he was referring to something in particular.

Comment

You have to have both in abundance, it's as simple as that. No point in talking about percentages.

Comment

Originally posted by rorymac View Post
                You have to have both in abundance, it's as simple as that. No point in talking about percentages.
                exactly as i said in the beginning it's 50/50

Comment

if you take a fight, and your mind and body are both there, adrenaline pumping...if you have that physical training/muscle memory, your body will almost go in auto-pilot

your mind has to be strong as well, but at this point its more about heart than anything mental

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeBrah View Post
                    Well, it sounds good, but realistically that's BS.

90% physical.
                    Gatti prime example willed himself through fights and punches with heart he wasn't the best physically gifted fighter

Comment

Originally posted by Samboxrec View Post
                      Gatti prime example willed himself through fights and punches with heart he wasn't the best physically gifted fighter
                      Same for Joe Fraizer. He said something like : "I won over the bigger guys because of heart"

Comment

Working...
                      X