No announcement yet.

How would you honestly rate Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daggum View Post
    yeah and whitaker and chavez are arguably even. also thurman is an A fighter but saunders isn't...i would say saunders has a better resume. at best they are around even. yes everyone at middle sucks and everyone at welter is awesome especially guys like guerrero who sucked ballz or garcia who hasn't beaten anyone there but shot fighters.
    Chavez and Whitaker were both great fighters (Whitaker may have been a smidge better, tbh).

If you want to call Billy Joe Saunders an A fighter, call him an A fighter and stand your word.

Golovkin, Alvarez, Jacobs, and Saunders, in any combination from the looks of things, will always end up in 50/50 fights, and it might end up being that Jermall Charlo and Sergey Derevyanchenko could also get thrown into that 50/50 mix.

Every other middleweight flashing at this point is below those 6, clearly in some opinions.

Danny Garcia proved to the world that he was a top-flight 140lb fighter; outside of out and out speed, he fought and proved to the boxing world that he basically had everything else.

He moves up to 147, and he shows that he's better than Guerrero, that he's better than Malignaggi, that he's better than Peterson, and that he's almost better than Keith Thurman. He beats a rugged guy in Shawn Porter and he confirms his status as a B+ fighter, with the Thurman rematch and a fight with Spence Jr to see if there's anything beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by tonysoprano View Post
      Best MW of his generation. Just a shame there aren't that many A+ fighters on his resume. He was unlucky or avoided, if you prefer but he missed a few marquee names that would have helped his record.

Class act as a person though. No BS, no trash-talk, just train hard, fight hard and repeat.
      Pretty much. Prime Golovkin (3-5 years ago) was very good. I have him below Hagler, above Martinez, and about the same level as BHOP (who also lacked great competition.)

Current Golovkin is NOT prime.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        I simply go off what my eyes tell me.

The 15 title defenses of the WBA belt isn't anything to turn your nose up at, but look at the fighters that he's fought and judge for yourself.

Daniel Jacobs is a good fighter, maybe even a really good fighter; you line him up against the 15 guys that Golovkin fought to defend his belt and he likely blows through the 13 defenses and has tough fights with Golovkin and Alvarez.

Golovkin is arguably even with Alvarez and Jacobs, and it's not even clear if he's all that much better than Billy Joe Saunders or Jermall Charlo (or arguably Derevyanchenko, but that's another conversation), and none of those guys are openly considered A fighters.

Floyd Mayweather Jr was an A+ fighter; issues with his hands aside, it was clear as day that he was head and shoulders better than a field that also had really good fighters (an aging Oscar, Cotto, Pacquiao, Mosley, Marquez, etc).

Floyd is retired now, but we know that Keith Thurman is a hair better than both Porter and Garcia, Kell Brook is at least a hair better than Shawn Porter, and we're still not sure how good Errol Spence Jr is, but he's a head better than Kell Brook. Terrence Crawford is seen as maybe a wunderkind, but he hasn't fought anyone yet to really gauge that out.

Keith Thurman is likely an A fighter at this point, so the fight with Spence Jr will help confirm where Spence Jr is; Spence saws through Thurman like he did Brook and Peterson, and likely does to Danny Garcia, and he'd be confirmed as an A fighter on his way to maybe being an A+ fighter.

Calling Golovkin an A fighter would mean that you're also calling Alvarez and Jacobs A fighters

You call Mayweather an A+ fighter. First I'd rather use a scale of 0/100. There is no perfect fighter just like there is no perfect looking woman. Every fighter no matter how great they are has flaws. Is Floyd clearly an A fighter, absolutely. Is he 97 out 100 maybe, I have him more in the mid 90s.

But let's go with your rating, he is an A+ fighter. What other A fighter did he face that was an A fighter at the time he fought them? I'm not talking about a fighter who was living off his rep. I am talking about a fighter who was clearly an A fighter at the time he faced them. Two of the guys he beat I give Mayweather more credit for than many do (especially the casuals) are Corrales and Castillo. But were they truly A level fighters if we are going by your criteria? I do not think anybody in boxing would consider those guys A level fighters while Golovkin isn't.

Golovkin is clearly an A level fighter in the way boxing people throw out letter grades. When people say B level fighter they are talking about guys like Arturo Gatti and Mickey Ward. Solid fighters but not upper echelon. They aren't referring to guys like Canelo and Jacobs. B level guys are guys like Jeff Horn and probably a guy like Berto. There are lots of B level fighters who get lots of air time.

Now where Golovkin is exactly on that range is going to always remain a question to me. He isn't worse than a 90 IMO. He is 36 years old, unfortunately we did not get to see him earlier in his career take on better opponents. Based on what I've seen I think he would have him beating any MW post Hopkins. I believe he beats every fighter Hopkins beat during his run. But we will never know. He still has some time to go. I'd rank him right now low 90's, with a cap of probably 95 if he made some career ending run of Ws.

Comment

Top 10 middleweight of all time

Comment

Originally posted by Vegemil View Post
            I think he's an A class fighter. I don't think he's the greatest of all time but he has all of the fundamentals with incredible durability. He also has decent speed coupled with a stiff, accurate jab. He's also rocking a sick package and thudding power.
            Wait a minute. ...sick package? Wtf do you mean by that?

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              stiff robotic bum that appealed to the same morons who voted trump cause they thought his broken english was endearing and they related to him
              Racist fkn f@g

Comment

Originally posted by animelive View Post
                8 right now, 9 if he ko's Canelo. Missed 10 because he didn't push for the Ward fight.
                For reference, who is a 10 in boxing right now?

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
                  GGG is the equivalent of canelo and danny jacobs.

he didnt seperate himself from either.

both fights were decided by 1 round.

he is solid, but he has yet to beat somebody convincingly thats considered good.
                  He fkn beat them both but he didn't separate himself? That's bad math there buddy

Comment

I rate him as fun to watch, murderous destroyer when he doesn't have to worry about the other guys power, technical af and methodical when he does. I'd prefer he stay in assassin mode but I get why he switches mode. I'm hoping he goes after Canelo for good or bad and I hope Canelo does the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                      Gennady Golovkin fought May 2015, Andre Ward fought June 2015 (after showing the world he was already at 172lbs almost three weeks before the Paul Smith fight), went on ESPN I believe the Monday after his fight, brought the "lil G" moniker to the forefront, and let the world know that he wanted that smoke. Deal points won't ever be known for sure, but the offer seemed to be 50/50 of everything for a fight at 168lbs.

Golovkin's camp may have had the Lemieux fight already worked out for October, but that didn't stop them from keeping Chavez Jr and Carl Froch in their mouths, and hindsight will show us that Golovkin didn't fight for another 6 months before taking on house arrest Dominic Wade.

Golovkin-Ward could've rightfully happened in October 2015 (in lieu of the Lemieux fight) or March/April 2016 (in lieu of the Wade fight), and nothing that K2 had in the works for Golovkin would've been affected, if we're honest here.
                      You failed to answer the question. Watch the video. Golovkin was in a totally different time as was Ward when he stated 154-168. At that time Golovkin was desperate to get a big name fight. That no longer existed when Ward threw out his response (some three years later) after his own period of inactivity.

He threw that out and did got exactly what he wanted, his name in the news, at least in boxing circles and the hate Golovkin crowd. Now if Golovkin had sacrificed everything yeah possibly he could have made a fight by why do that? He jumps up to 168lbs (hoping Ward can make it which is questionable), he risks millions of dollars to try and cut a deal with a guy who was notoriously difficult to deal with who would also view himself as the A side. It really makes no sense in any way. It would have been ludicrously dumb for Golovkin to have done that in 2015. Now in 2012 he might have been more willing. Also, Ward just happen to be throwing this out when not only was he coming off of his inactivity but also when Cotto (his promo stablemate) was hearing about Golovkin. Ward knew there was no chance a Golovkin fight was happening. He threw it out there and some suckers ran with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X