No announcement yet.

Why PPv numbers are low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rikanlynx86 View Post
    Its an obvious answer I think. Everything has been down hill ever since the Pac vs Floyd fight. It had a chance to really bring the fans in, but was a complete dud and really turned potential new fans away from the sport. I mean, the fight was watched by soo many people world wide, it was going to play a huge role in the future of the sports audience. I know the Canelo vs Cotto fight did great numbers as well, but that honestly had more to do with Puerto Rico and Mexico always supporting their fighters, and add the casual/ hardcore boxing fans to that already high number. But ever since then, its been weak. Anyone else have a reason?
    I agree. We expected a super fight and got a Friday night fight. Floyd was way too safe and manny was all over the place. Huge let down. Plus now a days fights are on ppv that shouldn't be like GGG Jacobs, cantnelo smith, Floyd berto, Ward kovo. None of those fights should have been PPV.

Comment

Canelo vs Cotto did very well 900k.

Canelo vs Smith, for being a fight that had no business being on PPV, I thought did extremely well. And the PPV #'s were laughable, in how such a fight can sell that many ppv's, 300k. Ridiculous star power..

Canelo vs Khan also sold very well for a joke of a fight and huge cherrypick. 600k.

Joshua sells PPV's in UK.

PPV #'s are not low because of May-Pac, just very frequent and out of place due to low budgets. Fights that belong on regular HBO/Showtime are now in PPV. Golovkin vs Lemiuex was never going to sell well in any time before the May-Pac PPV's. GGG vs Jacobs either, because Jacobs would've always had the lingering Pirog KO loss and the huge underdog role that sapped interest from people paying $65 dollars.

In the 2010s we had great fights like Hopkins-Pascal on free tv, which did very well, before May-Pac. There were about 3 PPV fighters. Now everyone is a PPV fighter, even if they don't belong there...GGG, Crawford, Ward, Kovalev, you can only catch Gonzalez on PPV undercards nowadays. That's the problem, not "May-Pac".

PBC is like the only thing USA boxing has that's anywhere close to pre-May-Pac boxing. Fights that are televised and more easily accessible. That's not the case anymore. Simply having HBO doesn't mean you will get to see your favorite HBO fighters anymore, they're now on PPV. So let's stop blaming May-Pac when Canelo and Joshua seem to be doing just fine, because they belong on PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
        I agree. We expected a super fight and got a Friday night fight. Floyd was way too safe and manny was all over the place. Huge let down. Plus now a days fights are on ppv that shouldn't be like GGG Jacobs, cantnelo smith, Floyd berto, Ward kovo. None of those fights should have been PPV.
        Ward Kovalev i think should have been ppv, but like someone said already, it was not promoted well. 2 top dogs, the puncher vs the boxer, undefeated. just lack of fanbase.

Comment

Ward Kovalev i think should have been ppv, but like someone said already, it was not promoted well. 2 top dogs, the puncher vs the boxer, undefeated. just lack of fanbase.
          I would like to see what they spent on promotional fees cause I don't remember hearing sh it or seeing sh it about it. And that was P4P 1-2 imo

Comment

I scored Floyd/Pac 118-110. so yeah it was a "dud"..a dud from Pacquiao. Floyd was the same fighter we've seen for 20 years. Manny and Roach kept saying in the media they were gonna jump on Floyd from round 1. after eating one right hand Manny said to hell with that and began to second guess himself.

but honestly fans were more pissed off with what happened after the fight. the endless excuses from Pacquiao & the revelation of an "injury". fans were upset because had this "injury" been revealed beforehand they would've saved $100 on the PPV.

anybody blaming Floyd for lack of action doesn't know boxing. if you're going to purchase a product you must know what it is you're getting into. everybody knew Floyd is no KO artist. the guy who was supposed to bring the "action" was Pacquiao, he chose to play chess instead and got washed.

but with saying all that the reality is throughout the history of PPV there's only been a handful of stars that do great numbers. Tyson, Oscar, Floyd and Pacquiao. that's it. Roy Jones was the goat of the 90's and he never became no PPV megastar.

so it's not a knock on a fighters legacy if he doesn't become a PPV star. too many fans get too caught up in that. but if I was a promoter and wanted to build a PPV attraction I would take my fighter to the UK and build his brand there. fans there are way more passionate and dedicated to the sport.

Comment

I think everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room. Why would I Pay when I can Stream for free? I guarantee tons of people besides me also do that. In fact, everyone I Know that Watches Boxing does it. Even, back In The Day of analog cable, I had the "black box" so never had to Pay for PPV LOL. Never Paid for 1 in my life. The Only 1 I didn't see that I wanted to was Manny-Floyd, but that's probably because The Streams were overloaded online. Even then, I saw It 1 Or 2 Days later, online anyway.
              Come on. I understand ethics and all, but who's gonna Pay $50-60 when u can sit in front of your computer and Watch for free? Let's be real here.

Comment

LHW never really produced PPV star power, not even the great fighter of the decade himself, RJJ, was PPV material. Ward vs Kovalev was on PPV because HBO could not afford to pay them. The mentality that Ward vs Kovalev belongs on PPV, despite neither fighter having ever been built up as a PPV fighter, is what has fans imagining that fights aren't doing well because of May-Pac. Fights aren't doing well because they're out of place.

For a long time, MW has pretty much been the limit where popularity falls off. Insanely popular fights belonged on PPV, like Hopkins-Trinidad, Hopkins-DLH, Hopkins-Taylor, even Pavlik-Taylor II had some merit of being on PPV. But notice how Hopkins-Pavlik failed at 195k (surprise surprise a LHW fight) and that was well before May-Pac. What happened there was that nobody cared about Hopkins anymore because they thought he was old and they thought it was a cherrypick and the risk of paying $55 to see a cherrypick "maybe" go wrong was not worth it. Personally I picked Hopkins to decision Pavlik and I bought the PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  Canelo vs Cotto did very well 900k.

Canelo vs Smith, for being a fight that had no business being on PPV, I thought did extremely well. And the PPV #'s were laughable, in how such a fight can sell that many ppv's, 300k. Ridiculous star power..

Canelo vs Khan also sold very well for a joke of a fight and huge cherrypick. 600k.

Joshua sells PPV's in UK.

PPV #'s are not low because of May-Pac, just very frequent and out of place due to low budgets. Fights that belong on regular HBO/Showtime are now in PPV. Golovkin vs Lemiuex was never going to sell well in any time before the May-Pac PPV's. GGG vs Jacobs either, because Jacobs would've always had the lingering Pirog KO loss and the huge underdog role that sapped interest from people paying $65 dollars.

In the 2010s we had great fights like Hopkins-Pascal on free tv, which did very well, before May-Pac. There were about 3 PPV fighters. Now everyone is a PPV fighter, even if they don't belong there...GGG, Crawford, Ward, Kovalev, you can only catch Gonzalez on PPV undercards nowadays. That's the problem, not "May-Pac".

PBC is like the only thing USA boxing has that's anywhere close to pre-May-Pac boxing. Fights that are televised and more easily accessible. That's not the case anymore. Simply having HBO doesn't mean you will get to see your favorite HBO fighters anymore, they're now on PPV. So let's stop blaming May-Pac when Canelo and Joshua seem to be doing just fine, because they belong on PPV.
                  I see the points u r making. But I what Im talking about are top guys not named canelo or euro/uk big dogs(another area that comes out for their guys, always been that way), selling under 200k ppvs. like that is lower than its been in a while, and on a consistent basis too. So i guess what made me make this thread was seeing ppv numbers are 150-170 more than once and all after the big ppv, which did damage the sports credibilty, with the huge amount of viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by DeLorean View Post
                    I scored Floyd/Pac 118-110. so yeah it was a "dud"..a dud from Pacquiao. Floyd was the same fighter we've seen for 20 years. Manny and Roach kept saying in the media they were gonna jump on Floyd from round 1. after eating one right hand Manny said to hell with that and began to second guess himself.

but honestly fans were more pissed off with what happened after the fight. the endless excuses from Pacquiao & the revelation of an "injury". fans were upset because had this "injury" been revealed beforehand they would've saved $100 on the PPV.

anybody blaming Floyd for lack of action doesn't know boxing. if you're going to purchase a product you must know what it is you're getting into. everybody knew Floyd is no KO artist. the guy who was supposed to bring the "action" was Pacquiao, he chose to play chess instead and got washed.

but with saying all that the reality is throughout the history of PPV there's only been a handful of stars that do great numbers. Tyson, Oscar, Floyd and Pacquiao. that's it. Roy Jones was the goat of the 90's and he never became no PPV megastar.

so it's not a knock on a fighters legacy if he doesn't become a PPV star. too many fans get too caught up in that. but if I was a promoter and wanted to build a PPV attraction I would take my fighter to the UK and build his brand there. fans there are way more passionate and dedicated to the sport.
                    I never pointed fingers at who didnt do what. I think Pac def didnt get the job done, didnt break floyd defense, and I feel Floyd could have gave the fans a little more to give em a show because of the big opportunity it was to make new fans, I also feel pacs shoulder excuse after being ****y with a selfie during the ring walk was bull****. But, in all, I think the fight did damage the viewership

Comment

I think being able to watch a fight streamed on Periscope or Facebook plays a big role. A couple years ago the streaming sites were unreliable and would freeze a lot. Now streams are easier to find and if not better quality, at least more reliable. Periscope had dozens of streams for the GGG /Jacob's fight. If the stream went down for some reason, in two seconds you could have a different stream up.

Comment

Working...
                      X