Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the Cruiserweight Division didn't exist...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the Cruiserweight Division didn't exist...

The division's been around since the 80s and has never gotten a lot of respect, despite producing some quality scraps. Never the less, what if we had light heavyweight(175) and everything over is heavyweight like in the old days?

Obviously you'd think the smaller guys would be crushed by the giants that rule the heavyweight division as is. However, when you take into account Jack Dempsey who was barely a heavyweight, crushing than big heavyweight Jess Willard, it doesn't seem so black and white anymore.

The point is over all, that Marciano fought well below 200 pounds because it was his best fighting weight. How many of these smaller, but faster, cruisers could do damage at heavyweight while weighing well below 200, even against the big boys?

I think, not only do we need it, but I'd like a 220lb division so that small heavies get a chance to shine and don't have to fight giants.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      The division's been around since the 80s and has never gotten a lot of respect, despite producing some quality scraps. Never the less, what if we had light heavyweight(175) and everything over is heavyweight like in the old days?

Obviously you'd think the smaller guys would be crushed by the giants that rule the heavyweight division as is. However, when you take into account Jack Dempsey who was barely a heavyweight, crushing than big heavyweight Jess Willard, it doesn't seem so black and white anymore.

The point is over all, that Marciano fought well below 200 pounds because it was his best fighting weight. How many of these smaller, but faster, cruisers could do damage at heavyweight while weighing well below 200, even against the big boys?

I would love for the cruiserweight division to be dismantled and for the fighters to be pushed to HW so they can become fodder for Fury the Great.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        I think, not only do we need it, but I'd like a 220lb division so that small heavies get a chance to shine and don't have to fight giants.
        Screw that, It makes the division interesting and it forced the smaller fighters to find new ways to win. So many more style matchups.

Comment

Most would be fighting at 175

Comment

200lbs is ideal. If most of these HWs were in the condition they should be in they would be fighting there.
            There are some legitimate huge men but a lot are just lazy Cruiserweights that are cutting corners.

If you removed the CW division it would be too dangerous you'd have big LHWs fighting giant 6ft6, 260lb HWs.
            The further north the less a size differential usually matters but it'd be just dangerously too much.

Obviously some of the bigger & more talented CWs like an Usyk, Breidis could compete at HW and will one day maybe fill out there but the smaller CWs & guys who are more towards the LHW division really would get flattened.

Comment

Said that before and it would be a great idea to have it, we're in an era where we have giant heavyweights coming in at 250-270lbs at 6ft8 upwards.
              201-220 heavyweight
              220+ super heavyweight

It would actually balance things out because the guys who would be in at 220 would be the shorter 6ft fighters who better suit their frame at 220 that division could be smoking and It'd be very interesting to see which heavyweight would want to go there and deal with the thought of having to cut weight and actually have to worry about making weight.

Too bad Andy Ruiz is a bit of a porker he'd surely be good for getting down to that weight, he will get picked apart when he fights a good super heavyweight.

Comment

Fury is one those "giants" but he can't break an egg!

The Heavyweight division has NO Weight Limitations!
                It is an OPEN division, as it should be!
                Mike Tyson at barely 5'10" and 210lbs would competitive against any heavyweight. Why? Because he can punch!!!
                If Fury had power he would be very dangerous against smaller men. If Wlad had multiple options in the skills department he wouldn't have been KO'd by nobodies!

Styles make fights is a very true statement but POWER is the equalizer when dealing with size and skills advantages.
                Dempsey could bring it and if you think a 250 pound can't be hurt by a 190 lbs. puncher you've never fought anyone with real power!

Lots of men through the years have given up 25 to 55 pounds and have competed, get over the height & weight thing will you! It's only an advantage if you know how to use
                it. Fury against Tyson would be a beautiful match up, Fury would be forced to learn to clinch very quickly or he'd get hurt bad!

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                  Screw that, It makes the division interesting and it forced the smaller fighters to find new ways to win. So many more style matchups.
                  I don't watch boxing to see guys larger guys beat up on smaller ones.
                  As the old saying goes, the talented big guy beats the talented small guy.

Comment

I don't watch boxing to see guys larger guys beat up on smaller ones.
                    As the old saying goes, the talented big guy beats the talented small guy.

That's not always how it works, for one. And two, the HW division has always been that way, so you must have had a problem with it the whole time. I say keep it the way it is. I love that aspect of the division personally. Either cut weight, or put on muscle, or become faster and improve your defense. No excuses.

Comment

Working...
                    X