Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If He Wasn't A Proven Cheater Would Shane Mosley Deserve A Place In The Hall Of Fame?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If He Wasn't A Proven Cheater Would Shane Mosley Deserve A Place In The Hall Of Fame?

As we all know, Shane has announced his retirement this week so now we can take a look back at his career and reflect. I have to give him credit for what he has done in the sport and I think we all agree that he has been one of the best boxers of the last 20 years. However, in my opinion, cheating to gain an illegal advantage in such a brutal sport like boxing where you can easily kill another person is completely and utterly despicable and therefore those who are caught should suffer in terms of their legacy because like Floyd said, we don't know how many titles people like James Toney and Shane Mosley really won. It's entirely feasible that both of them took enhancement drugs for their entire careers (except for Mosley in the Mayweather fight of course). I think most people would agree with me that people who are proven cheaters should be denied entry into the Hall of Fame and unfortunatelely considering what he's accomplished, Shane is one of them. It's nothing against him personally. I just don't like cheaters.

Of course there is the possibility that he will get in despite that, though and if that is the case then everything will fall on whether he has done enough to earn it in terms of his career accomplishments. So let's put the whole cheating aspect to one side and pretend that he isn't a cheater. I want to know what you guys think. Has Shane earned a place amongst boxing legends? Is his resume and general legacy good enough for the HOF? I personally don't think so. He can say that he beat Oscar De La Hoya twice but I think most of us would agree that only one of those victories was truly legit. When you look beyond that his resume is really quite bare. He beat Ricardo Mayorga who was a very solid fighter and Phillip Holiday who seems to have been a pretty good fighter and his wins over Fernando Vargas were also pretty good but we can't ignore the fact that Vargas had already been knocked out by Felix Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya and been exposed by Winky Wright also. Outside of that, what do you have? All you really have is Luis Collazo and some bum with no skills who was only ever winning fights because he had bricks in his gloves in Antonio Margarito. He also lost his biggest fights outside of De La Hoya with Forrest, Mayweather and Pacquiao. It looked to me like he didn't even try to win the Manny Pacquiao fight which has to be held against him regardless of whether he was injured or not. I don't think that he has a Hall of Fame resume and even if he did I still don't think Mosley should get in the HOF because he's a proven cheater, but i'm sure there are people with different opinions so I am curious to know what the general consensus is.

Please give me your take. Poll coming.
    Yes - His resume and legacy in the sport of boxing is worth of such recognition
    89.47%
    No - His resume isn't good enough and his legacy is overrated
    10.53%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by JK1700; 06-06-2012, 03:03 PM.

I like how you pretty much ignore Shane's best weight class in your whole analysis. Shane was an absolute beast at lightweight and the only reason he moved up was to chase huge fights. You can dock him for his losses but the fact is dude was a huge risk taker and was always challenging himself against the best, even if they were at weight classes he wasn't best at. That's why he has a lot of those losses

Comment

Originally posted by montakristo View Post
      I like how you pretty much ignore Shane's best weight class in your whole analysis. Shane was an absolute beast at lightweight and the only reason he moved up was to chase huge fights. You can dock him for his losses but the fact is dude was a huge risk taker and was always challenging himself against the best, even if they were at weight classes he wasn't best at. That's why he has a lot of those losses
      I didn't ignore it. I mentioned his win over Phillip Holiday and I guess his wins over Molina and Leija were pretty good too, but other than that his Lightweight resume really isn't anything to get excited about at all. Floyd's resume at 130 is much better in my opinion. Unlike Mosley, he fought and beat the other outstanding fighter in his division at the time which was Diego Corrales. Mosley should have unified but didn't. He wasted valuable time fighting some patsies. And you can't use the cop-out that Mosley was too small to excuse his losses. Mosley was a huge Lightweight and Floyd was even smaller than him but still managed to beat and nearly always dominate naturally much bigger opponents.
      Last edited by JK1700; 06-06-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
        I didn't ignore it. I mentioned his win over Phillip Holiday and I guess his wins over Molina and Leija were pretty good too, but other than that his Lightweight resume really isn't anything to get excited about at all. Floyd's resume at 130 is much better in my opinion. Unlike Mosley, he fought and beat the other outstanding fighter in his division at the time which was Diego Corrales. Mosley should have unified but didn't. He wasted valuable time fighting some patsies. And you can't use the cop-out that Mosley was too small to excuse his losses. Mosley was a huge Lightweight and Floyd was even smaller than him but still managed to beat and nearly always dominate naturally much bigger opponents.
        Not really.

Neither are good wins, really.

Mosley's Lightweight run is awful. Truly awful.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Not really.

So why did you vote yes? (Assuming that it was you and not someone else).

Are his wins over De La Hoya, Vargas, Mayorga and Margarito really enough?

Comment

Absolutely. Why do people always want to treat cheating as the x-factor to take away all the achievements of a professional fighter, or any athlete for that matter? The drug doesn't win for you, it just enhances you. The talent and skill was all there, and Mosley worked his butt off. He deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
              So why did you vote yes? (Assuming that it was you and not someone else).

Are his wins over De La Hoya, Vargas, Mayorga and Margarito really enough?
              I didn't vote yes.

But his resume is HOF worthy IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
                Both wins over Oscar are legit, he had couple decent wins to add and he never lost to a fighter below A- level, never ducked anyone and stayed on top of the game for more than 10 years. His Hall of Fame status is not questionable.

Comment

I don't consider drugs when factoring HOF credentials. You'd have to be pretty naive not to suspect most of Mosley's contemporaries of the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Not really.

I'm assuming that you mean his competition was awful and not his performance, which was excellent.

But I'd agree that Mosley's reign at 135 is only slightly better than Moorer's overrated reputation at 175.

Comment

Working...
                    X