No announcement yet.

looking back at some pernell whitaker tapes, mayweather is a better fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    Harold Brazier was one of the best fighters to never win a title ever. That guy was a defensive monster himself who had amazing counter punching etc etc. Fast.

He would have been past it somewhat by the Whitaker fight I think...Or maybe not. I can't really remember when his prime was now.

Anyway, if someone shuts out Brazier, it's an incredible feat. He was really damn good and hardly anyone knows about him.

Fought goddamned everyone and ended up with a crazy record of 130-15 or something. He was great and a beautiful fighter to watch go to work.
    Brazier had seen his best days, the fight was in 1992 when Brazier had his best performances in the late 1980's.

Two very good fighters who were pretty much shut out by Whitaker:

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
      You mean literally or that he was beating him but still behind on the cards? He was quite far behind on all but one of the cards. He still would have lost a MD even if he had won the next two rounds I think.
      Take away the two knockdowns which were not real knockdowns, and and Pernell wins the fight if it goes to the score cards, especially since Hurtado was falling apart in the later rounds.

Comment

This topic has been argued/talked about hundreds of times...either man could win this fight IMO...

Anyone who thinks one guy is gonna skool the other is trippin...

Comment

Originally posted by catalinul View Post
          I'm sure you watched some tapes of Whitaker fighting fighters Mayweather wouldn't thin kof stepping inside the ring.

In terms of styles,resume,accomplishments IMO Whitaker is better.

And he ain't punch drunk either.
          he's just drunk

Comment

Mayweather has trouble against southpaws. In a H2H matchup against Sweet Pea he would take an L.

Comment

Sweet Pea had the better defensive evasiveness and movement..and busier offense..

Floyd has better defense as far as blocking is concerned...and better accuracy... probably better power.

I just consider if Roger Mayweather were in the ring with Sweet Pea, and were 100 times better, with tighter defense, and better ring smarts..

Floyd Jr with the upset.

Comment

Originally posted by Equinox View Post
                dont get my idea the wrong. pernell is a great fighter but in terms of styles...

mayweather>whitaker.

sorry if i think that mayweather would beat him but mayweather is not going to end up punch drunk.
                He asked what fights did you watch?

Comment

Comparing Legacies? Absolutely ridiculous. Pernell would have outboxed Cotto, Margarito, Clottey, and Moesly(maybe) with joy. Floyd rather run from em like a little chump. Pernell I think outboxed a primed De La Hoya by a bigger margin then Floyd did an old Golden Boy.

In a fight, I'd definitely go Pernell. He'd be more active and that's the key since their both defensive minded and greats at that. Both are crazy fast but just for the fact Pernell would be more active and would be able to slip Floyds punches I think he'd win a decision just on activity since their both great defensively, I just think with Pernell throwing more punches would get him the victory by outthrowing Floyd. Big props to the man that said "that's what happens when you fight the big fighters." Especially ones that are the same size. Couldn't agree more!

Comment

Working...
                  X